• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will price be a factor in your buying decision?

• Yes. I'll go for the cheaper console.

Votes: 42 3.2%
  • No. I've made up my mind.

Votes: 652 49.7%
  • A $100 gap might swing me.

Votes: 68 5.2%
  • Price is a factor, but so are exclusives. I haven't decided yet.

Votes: 256 19.5%
  • I'm getting both regardless of price.

Votes: 204 15.5%
  • Not buying a next gen console. Happy with my current gaming machine.

Votes: 90 6.9%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Pricing and exclusives absolutely play a part for me when deciding on a next gen console. The system could be amazing on paper, but if it's incredibly expensive I will reevaluate the competition and go from there. This line of thinking worked out fabulously for me in the PS3/360 generation when I went 360 over PS3 for pricing, especially with so many of the big titles going multiplatform.

I eventually always pick up the expensive console when the price comes down anyway, so it's win win.

Gronnd

Oct 27, 2017
I will get a series x first but I do want both eventually.

I prefer playstation exclusives but the friends I play online with are all on Xbox. Plus Xbox backwards compatibility and gamepass are very important to me.

If the series x is over $400 (which is almost a certainty) I will probably wait a year for a price drop.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Of course it's important. I'm not paying $600 for one if the other is $400. At the same time if the price is within $100 I'll just get my preferred platform. I imagine most would.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to get an Xbox because I have a capable PC. If PS5 games start coming to PC, even at a later date, I'll skip that as well. If not, yes price is a factor for PS5 for me. I might wait for a $199 bundle like I did for Spider-Man in 2018.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I eventually will get both. Price isn't the main issue, it's where the games are at. If both fail to impress games wise the first year, then I'll wait. Wildcard is Halo Infinite, if it's ACES then I am there close to launch.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Already set on the PS5. I've got quite a few digital games, that I'll be carrying over, and Sony just has the games I love. I dont expect much to change from this gen to next so I don't think I'll be missing much by not getting a Series X.

Nov 8, 2017
It matters in the sense that it impacts the timing of my purchases. If they're very pricey boxes I will wait until the prices come down before I buy. The question of whether I'm buying each box at all is based on different metrics entirely.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying a ps5 unless the price is really bad in which case i'm buying nothing for a while.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It matters to me depending on the pricing of Nvidia's 3000 series. I may jump on getting one of these consoles if the 3080 ti is not north of $1,300. Otherwise i'm waiting it out until a year or two later.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This really depends. Need more poll options, lol.

$599 (lol) might be too steep for me right now.

$499 is fine, $399 is excellent.

Also exclusive games I wanna play. I want to play Hellblade 2, if that was a launch title, I might be getting both. As it stands right now, PS5 for me. That may change tho.

But...its not really just for next gen exclusives. I'm trying my best to wait for the PS5 to play TLoU 2 and GoT.

But I have a feeling Sony will have some next gen exclusive I'm gonna want to play.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
For a gamer, surely the answer to this question is just as much a question of someone's relative economic status, but anyway...

Given past history, I'm almost certainly buying both within launch window - with Series X being a day one pre-order. My decision to buy a PS5 right off the bat will be based on previews of how well they've addressed cooling and their success or otherwise with backwards and forwards compatibility. I thought Sony were really sloppy with the PS4 Pro hardware this gen, and while I DO expect they will deliver a better cooling system this time around, I'm less confident in their approach to backwards and forward compatibility. I have a handful of unfinished PlayStation games that I'm waiting to play on better hardware. So after the current generation, Sony have a harder sell to get me onboard with a day one / pre-order.

Regarding the snark about people making up their minds prior to release - well, I'm certainly confident enough with Series X that my existing Xbox library will "just work" with quality of life improvements to loading times, back compatibility enhancements, etc, that I'll be seeing benefits to swapping out the One X right away even IF there isn't a single new game I wanted to play at launch. After last-gen, I also trust Microsoft to produce quality hardware. Finally, since most of my IRL friends play on Xbox, that's where the majority of my daily gaming will take place regardless.

So I've got absolutely nothing to lose by a day one Series X purchase.

With regards to pricing, (someone's personal income situation aside - if you're struggling to pay rent, I get why you're not buying new consoles) I look at the cost of the console in terms of entertainment hours provided. I'm spending a handful of hours gaming and chatting to my mates just about every single day. If these new consoles cost TWICE as much at launch as they did last gen, it'd STILL be a no-brainer for me to purchase. Further, unless my circumstances change, I'll also certainly re-purchase both when, inevitably, both companies release a special edition in a white case - just because it looks better in in the entertainment unit that I'm staring at.

I spend more than the cost of a console on streaming services I barely consume. I spend more than the annual purchase price of a console every year buying take-away coffee and that's not nearly as satisfying... So when I reflect on the stupid stuff I spend money on, I'm more than happy to spend money on a new release of a games console given the enjoyment I get from it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting both (kinda) regardelss of the price. Obviously have to factor in that if one launched at like ÂŁ699 then I'd probably reconsider getting both at launch but, as it stands, I'm aiming to get both day one assuming they'll be ÂŁ400-500 each.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'm an adult with a savings account and I want a PS5. The price truly is irrelevant. I'm pre ordering as soon as it pops up.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really imagine anything swaying me from the PS5 at this point. I'd be willing to pay 599 US dollars for it, but it won't be that much.

I'll probably pick up an Xbox late in the gen like I always do, after the major revision.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
The PS5 launch price here in Brazil will probably be absurd (like 5 times our minimum wage) so there is no way that I will get one any time soon.

Two years from now at the earliest for me.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I mean I can't say it doesn't matter because in some batshit scenario where the PS5 is 600 and the Series X is 400, it would def. sway me.

I plan on having both (PS5 at launch, XSX later) so my mind is pretty made up...

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So many options and yet none of them regarding performance being a factor in the decision.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Definitely waiting for a price drop, probably until there's a revision to work whatever kinks are there out as well.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Price matters alot regarding which one I'll get first, but I'll eventually get both. Though it could take me upwards of 2~3 years to get the other one as I'll likely wait for revisions, price drops, etc.
Leaning Series X first for now since I skipped the One this gen (was planning on getting one eventually and even own a few games for it already but SX seems to be making that need obsolete).

May 19, 2020
I am not likely to get an Xbox since their exclusives generally don't interest me. Playstation being the system with defacto Japanese exclusives helps.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Probably will save money to upgrade my pc rather than getting a console.

Maybe after a couple years I'll get one like I did with my ps4

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
When I bought my first gaming console - Xbox 360- price was 100% a factor. The PS3 was much more expensive in my country. So for those who aren't particularly invested in a console ecosystem (perhaps they skipped ladt but just want to play some new games, price will definitely be a factor.

As to which one I will buy, one of my household is an Xbox diehard so they will buy that at launch, and all my friends that play games love Halo. So Xbox will continue to be my primary console. Whether I buy a PS5 within its first year depends mostly on games, backwards compatibility and price, but also somewhat on form factor/noise. If it disappoints in those areas, there is no harm in waiting for a nice library of exclusives to build up.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
At this point prob skip Xbox total since I got a laptop that will play all of MS games as well as the Xbox would. Might get the PS5 down the line when there are some exclusives that would make it worth it (spider man 2 and 5-8 other other).

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
It matters, but not due to swinging one way or another. I am getting a PS5, but the price will determine if I get at launch most likely. I can swallow $500, but if we hit $600, I'm going to have to really sit down and think about it frankly.

Same here. I think it'd be better to wait if it's far north of $500.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they keep it under $500 I'll be picking one of them up. Might not need an Xbox though since I'll be keeping my PC up todate, but it depends on how all this SSD stuff pans out.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm very curious about how PS5 will handle the backwards compatibility of the PS4 games, so it's day1 for.
I usually buy very little things that are non vital throughout the year, so I don't feel too guilty splurging money on it.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Not so much, probably, but then I kind of assume that it won't be ultra-expensive ($599ish would be OK). I might hold off on the next-gen (PS5) purchase for other reasons, though, and the price point could possibly tip the scales in some scenario.

Last edited:

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
All I care about is launch titles. I won't be dipping into a PS5 until there's a game I want, price does not matter.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I will buy a PS5 regardless of price. Sony has a vast monopoly on IP and studios I enjoy. I probably would not buy an Xbox X until there's a stronger lineup.. considering they probably would end up on PC I would also just get them there and skip the console.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
So many options and yet none of them regarding performance being a factor in the decision.
How would we know that now? Performance will be unknown for each game until DF make a Face Off video. Look at X vs Pro versions, the X should always have better performance but since we have no settings on consoles and devs are more likely to push for a higher resolution on the X it sometimes make the X have worse performance.