• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will price be a factor in your buying decision?

• Yes. I'll go for the cheaper console.

Votes: 42 3.2%
  • No. I've made up my mind.

Votes: 652 49.7%
  • A $100 gap might swing me.

Votes: 68 5.2%
  • Price is a factor, but so are exclusives. I haven't decided yet.

Votes: 256 19.5%
  • I'm getting both regardless of price.

Votes: 204 15.5%
  • Not buying a next gen console. Happy with my current gaming machine.

Votes: 90 6.9%

• Total voters

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
BC means I have to sell my old system as soon as possible before they lose value, so the answer is no

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Price is a factor which decides when I'll buy a console, not if I'll buy a console. A console being cheaper is meaningless if it doesn't have the games I want.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I can't go blow $500-600 without due regard. I'm putting money back, but if the PS5 is over $500, I doubt I'll get it at launch. I already feel kind of guilty spending that much on a console.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I'll get the PS5 regardless of price. It'll probably be my main console next gen. With how many hours of enjoyment I'll get out of it it's worth it.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
No... I'm copping the PS5 regardless and a couple games.

I've had the money ear marked for a while and am comfortable spending it (unless it costs 1000 CAD lol)

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's only a factor in the sense that if it's astronomically high I might wait. But what console I'm getting has been known since before they were even announced. The only way that would have changed is if they did something extremely stupid... in which case, I'd have gone PC only.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with asking that question here is that this is a place where casuals would not really be. The people who only buy Cod and Fifa each year price is a big part of that. For those here it probably isn't and makes very little difference to them.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be great if both or at least PS5 are $399 but I will pay $500 for PS5. Xbox needs a few years of delivering on that promised better first party lineup after all the acquisitions. I've been down this road with them with Rare and Fable 4 not happening 10 years ago so they need more time for my $

We plan on starting a family this year so a November PS5 purchase is looking likely to be one of my last big pre-kids purchases. Idk what the future holds so I'm going to secure that so I'm set for the gen

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Price doesn't matter to me, of course if it was super high I would wait to buy it, but I'll get the PS5 day 1 99.9% likely.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I will have both boxes on day one. I thought about ditching the Xbox for a PC but Microsoft has crafted enough exclusive features for the Xbox to keep me around.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I get a really good job this year I'm going to wait til PS5 is at least $400. I don't feel comfortable paying more than that.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm planning to get both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 no matter what. Might even get both on release day!

Also tempted to get a Polymega (possibly with all of the modules) and an arcade machine this year. I might be a crazy.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
No, it's exclusives that matter to me. I'll be picking up a PS5 day one, but right now Microsoft hasn't swayed me yet on buying a Series X or upgrading my PC

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Not in the slightest,games are the only factor......PS5 for me,will keep an eye on Xbox as the gen goes on to see what they come out with.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'll get both, but not at first.

Haven't 100% committed to which one comes first - it depends on what PS5 exclusives come out at launch and how much better Cyberpunk 2077 runs on Series X.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Price absolutely determines when I purchase one which I dont expect to be at launch. Things like the price itself, fear of problems in early models, lack of games the first year, the usual lack of games being extended due to covid for next gen. As for which console I get it was always going to be ps5 and I dont even care about the big budget AAA sony games these days anymore. Its purely because thats where the smaller japanese developers will be and not on xbox.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Getting a PS5 day one most likely. I will never buy a Xbox since I have a gaming PC.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Price gap doesn't matter. Getting a PS5, even if it's $200 more, which it never would be.

MS doesn't seem to care about selling consoles, so I don't really care to buy one. I have Gamepass on PC, which is good enough for me.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean right now Im expecting to get both, Im also expecting XB1SX to be more expensive by virtue of it being a more powerful box.

The thing that may deter me is if XB1SX ends up a cheaper box than the PS5, I'd probably hold off on getting a PS5 at launch anyways.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
If Demon's Souls Remake and Horizon 2 are there day one, so am I. If I pre-order one on Amazon, I already have $50 off.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm preordering a PS5 as soon as they let me provided it doesn't cost more than $500. I have no interest in picking up a Series X at launch.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Of course Price is a factor but not for deciding between 2 consoles. Its about waiting for more games to come out to justify the dive (or waiting for a sale).

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The only thing that would sway me from buying a PS5 at launch is if it's something crazy like £600+ and the Series X was free on a very reasonable £20 monthly contract or something.

Edit, that's a lie, I'm buying a PS5. Series X down the line when Flight Sim launches perhaps!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a PS5 at some stage, that is a done deal. If the console is crazy expensive on day 1 I'll just wait.

honestly i'm prolly buying both even at 500 - more curious is that most people already made up their mind without seeing games.ps5 could have 1 exclusive to Microsoft's 7 - but it sounds like people would still buy it.

What? Sony has loads of exclusive IPs.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've made my mind up in that I'm either getting a PS5 or no console at all.
Price will matter, but Sony needs to primarily convince me of value with the games and whatnot.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 could drop at iPhone prices and I'm picking it up. The Xbox.. eh, I'm more compelled to build a robust PC.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to need to be a massive price difference for me to want to leave all this BC and Gamepass behind

parski

Nov 13, 2017
Will the Xbox have any exclusives I can't get on PC? If so I might bite but for now I'm passing on it. PlayStation and Nintendo day one.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not really. I have disposable income but, for me personally, its more about value for money. If a new console cost 499 and has loads of services and games I want to play, its worth the money. If its 299 and launches like the Wii-U, then its not worth the money.

Oct 27, 2017
Price mostly factors in as to when I'll buy one. I'll almost definitely go Sony again, but we'll see how long I last past launch. The sales will only get deeper as time goes on.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Based on the poll options, I'm guessing OP means whether price is a factor in choosing between PS and Xbox, which it isn't (at least for me). Don't see myself ever buying or investing in the Xbox ecosystem, even if the console is cheaper.

If I do get a next gen console, it will be a PS5 since I already have a handful of PS4 games with which it should be BC and, as far as consoles are concerned, have exclusively been a PS gamer since the PS1. However, if and when I get around to buying a PS5 will absolutely depend on price and other factors, such as the availability of enticing exclusives. Guessing that'll be whenever GTA VI releases (assuming Rockstar once again delays and denies the existence of the inevitable PC version).