• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Ps1 version adds literally over an hour onto the play time because of loading. There is loading at the start and end of every battle. It may not be as bad as the FF ports, but it still adds up and is a drain especially if you've experienced the same before on any other platform.
More importantly, adding loading to the start and end of battles ruins the entire aspect of how battles take place within the dungeon maps.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing through the Chrono Trigger+ hack. My girlfriend is playing through the original on Steam. The steam version is fine but man, the graphics are all blown up and hideous, a lot of the effects look wrong or bad (think Saturn Dracula X)... SNES9x with a CRT filter looks much much better. Any version will do, really just not mobile or PS1.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a strong advocate for the DS version, it's pretty much perfect plus you get the added bonus of touch screen UI

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, it's terrible.

FF6 > SNES
CT > DS (or SNES)

Pretty sure those are in the DS version as well. Not sure about Steam though.
They're in the DS version as best as I can remember. I'd be shocked if they were missing from the Steam one. I'd also say the Wii version is easy to recommend since it's just a well emulated SNES version....but the store is shut down.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's terrible.

FF6 > SNES
CT > DS

Pretty sure those are in the DS version as well. Not sure about Steam though.

DS has all the cutscenes
Last I heard Steam had most of the cutscenes, one or two were oddly missing. But in one of the few good things about the steam port the ones they have look to be taken from the original raws and are far superior to the DS/PSX versions with modern compression.

The only good thing the DS version really has over the SNES version is that the "One of you is close to someone who needs help... Find this person... fast." line has been changed. Otherwise I prefer the SNES version translation wise, and the SNES version is the one I play when I go through the game again.

Only issue is that the SNES version is expensive now, so DS makes the most sense sadly

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Does the PS TV's faster loading times do anything to help with those PS1 ports?
I've seen people show on youtube that games like Silent Hill have the fastest loading time of all platforms on PS TV.
PS TV is the same as playing it on Vita. I played a good bit of Chrono Trigger on my Vita. Battles take around 5 seconds to enter. And also there's a delay whenever you try and access your inventory. The port was rushed and poorly done,

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Does the PS TV's faster loading times do anything to help with those PS1 ports?
I've seen people show on youtube that games like Silent Hill have the fastest loading time of all platforms on PS TV.

The way the PS1 ports of FF6 and CT were programmed is the reason why the games run like shit.

Basically, what Square did was stick the SNES roms on the CD and then use it as a base for the PS1 to access (that's a really simplified version of what they did). The issue is that the PS1 doesn't have enough RAM to load everything, hence the lag in opening things like the menu.

The reason why devices like the PS2, PS3, PSP or Vita still suffer from the lag is that when you run a PS1 game on those systems, the game is being ran to the specs of the PS1, either through hardware BC (PS2) or an emulator (PS3, PSP and Vita).

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Speaking as someone whose favorite game of all time is Chrono Trigger, please, please, please don't play Chrono Trigger on PS1. It's the worst version by a landslide and casts a huge shadow over so much of what makes CT a) so deeply special and b) one of the greatest games of all time, particularly the soundtrack.

If, for whatever reason, you don't have access to the game on its other platforms (SNES, DS, Steam, mobile) at the moment, just wait to play it until you do. The PS1 version is that bad. Actually, it's worse.

The DS and Steam versions are the best, followed by SNES. Any of those versions will serve you well.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I have access to SNES on CRT, Analogue NT, Steam, and Nvidia Shield Snex9x emulation.

For convenience and quality of life, I'm currently playing FFVI (Ted Woolsey translation) on the Shield. Why? The emulation looks great on a 55" OLED and I can fast forward, I can backup my saves to the cloud and I can activate game genie cheats. I love being able to disable overworld battles when I want to and enabling infinite hp/mp for grinding until the boss. It's the reason why this playthrough is by far the furthest I've been.

It's the same reason why I loved and completed the FFVII remaster on the ps4. If you're not a filthy cheater like me then I'd still consider emulation or checking out the steam version for achievement hunting.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why those PS1 versions had such horrible load times, they should have been able to fit the entire game into RAM.
Maybe ffiv, but I'm pretty sure all other games are too big for the psx's RAM.

Yup. CT is 4MB, FFVI is 3MB, PSX RAM is 2MB.

No.

Get the DS version. It's the best by a mile.

I prefer the SNES translation largely to the DS one (the DS one is perfectly servicable though), so I'd dispute that it's the best by a mile. It's certainly the best option if you can't get your hands on the snes version though

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe ffiv, but I'm pretty sure all other games are too big for the psx's RAM.
Correct, a lot of people don't seem to realize the PS1 had 2MB of actual ram, and then 1MB of video ram.

No.

Get the DS version. It's the best by a mile.
From a content perspective, maybe. The retranslation needed another couple passes (even the translator himself admited to such in an interview, he was on a tight deadline) and the new content is mostly pointless filler. As such the only thing of 'value' lost playing the original SNES version is the animated cutscenes.

Even then, that makes the steam and DS versions about equal, and still not necessarily 'must plays'.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
No, and playing PS1 games on PS2 in general is pretty much the worst way to go about doing it from my own experience (any given model of PS3 or an actual PS1 is always better).

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Correct, a lot of people don't seem to realize the PS1 had 2MB of actual ram, and then 1MB of video ram.

From a content perspective, maybe. The retranslation needed another couple passes (even the translator himself admited to such in an interview, he was on a tight deadline) and the new content is mostly pointless filler. As such the only thing of 'value' lost playing the original SNES version is the animated cutscenes.

Even then, that makes the steam and DS versions about equal, and still not necessarily 'must plays'.
I like being able to see which endings you've gotten...that's about it. I prefer the SNES version too.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Interview in question with Square's translator at the time...

TS: Next came Chrono Trigger DS. I have no idea how one amazing, classic RPG after the next fell into my lap, but they did. This was an incredibly difficult project. For starters, I was not nearly as familiar with this game as with the others, to which I had given hundreds of hours of my childhood. On previous projects, I had a much better sense of what was nostalgic in a good way and what was probably best updated. For Chrono Trigger, I had to do a great deal more research. The project schedule was also extremely tight. I had to move at a pace of 5000-6000 Japanese characters of translation a day, which meant I couldn't do a full retranslation even had I wanted to. There are things I would have liked to have done, like applying Frog's Elizabethan speech patterns to the rest of his time period, but I simply didn't have the time to study up on Elizabethan English and get to a place where I would feel comfortable writing in it. Instead, I had to kill his existing style of speech--knowing some fans would be upset--and go with something closer to what we had used in Tactics so that there would at least be consistency in the way people spoke throughout the Middle Ages. Time travel, free party formation, and heavy re-use of messages also caused the sort of contextual issues that make a translator want to scream. I was fortunate enough to have awesome localization coordinators who played through the game recording video of all the events for me as I worked; otherwise, I simply would not have been able to get through it. Still, trying to wrap your head around the flow of conversations in the files of that game--not to mention all of the messages that randomly get re-used in multiple places--was not easy.​

To be clear, I'm not hating on Slattery's translation. I played through the DS version when it came out, and it was totally fine... but it's pretty safe to say even he wasn't completely satisfied with what was produced and that it was under a stricter set of deadlines than some of his other works. In that context, it's really not hard to see why a lot of people still preferred Woosley's original translation beyond simply nostalgia.

(for the record, people should totally read the whole interview, some great stuff from the GBA/DS era retranslations of FF and CT games)

(edit) Another choice quote from the article.

On Final Fantasy VI Advance and Chrono Trigger DS, while free to modify the translation as I saw fit, I also had to consider the legion of fans that would be scrutinizing every keystroke. There are many things I might have done differently had I been translating the games for the first time, but meddling with classics, you have to consider in every instance whether improving accuracy is worth destroying nostalgia for long-time fans. I think I did a good job at finding a happy medium, but there are certainly people who disagree with changes I made--or didn't make--and I respect that.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
One "minor" issue with the DS version is it has a save ruining bug near the final battle.

....let's just say, "it was in the Japanese release, so it's a feature." I wish I could remember the specifics but probably better I don't since it doesn't seem like average players have hit it anyways.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Nah, ps1 version of Chrono Trigger is ass, no matter which platform you play it on, and should be avoided unless for some reason its the only version you could possibly access (but seriously, go play the SNES version on one of many platforms its playable, the DS version, or even get the mobile version, all better).

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Interview in question with Square's translator at the time...
There are things I would have liked to have done, like applying Frog's Elizabethan speech patterns to the rest of his time period, but I simply didn't have the time to study up on Elizabethan English and get to a place where I would feel comfortable writing in it. Instead, I had to kill his existing style of speech--knowing some fans would be upset--and go with something closer to what we had used in Tactics so that there would at least be consistency in the way people spoke throughout the Middle Ages.​
I actually hugely appreciate this change, because it always bugged me that only Frog spoke like that in 600 AD, and only while he was a frog.