• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not after bayonetta 2....even though I couldn't say they had it before either, no one does, I always check impressions and reviews before buying something

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
No, because I don't have a Switch.
It's true they somewhat ruined their track record by diluting their output with lower tier releases, but their high profile titles are still Platinum day one quality.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Platinum Games still released the best (action) game last gen (Bayonetta) and this gen (The Wonderful 101) so i am only waiting for Astral Chain to go up on eShop to use my already bought voucher on it.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Nope, never had and never will. I've never played a single game from them.

Only one is Rockstar, I'd get their games without seeing a single image or trailer.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, never really cared for them to be honest. They only seem good at creating combat systems while the other aspects of the game range from mediocre to bad.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
My stance on Platinum has always been the same- wait and see. They make incredible game of the generation tier games (Vanquish, Rising, Transformers), middling stuff I don't care for (Mad World, Star Fox) to absolute junk (TMNT, Anarchy Reigns). I'm looking forward to Astral Chain, but right now that's the only one of their, what like, six? projects that they're working on, and that's still not necessarily a day one buy.

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
they had a good start, but when mikami left right after vanquish and it has been downhill from there

madworld, anarchy reigns, 101, transformers, rising, legend of korra and turtles are all 7/10 games at best, the only good games they have are bayonetta, vanquish and nier automata (though, these were 10/10 games because of kamiya, mikami and yoko taro)

so if you give them good direction they can be amazing, otherwise they are just mediocre

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Big fan of them but I've never felt this way ever.

Very much depends on what it is.

I will say they had an exceptional start so I can understand someone feeling this way, for a time.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
They never did for me aside from Revengeance. The last game I bought that they were involved with was NierA, and I hated it. It's my own fault though, since I've known about their spotty track record for years but someone convinced me to give the game a shot.

Damn you, Tyrant Rave

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
TBH I've never played one of their games. Or maybe 1 if the Nier demo counts. But I don't remember it very brightly.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never enjoyed Platinum games as much as many others here.

I'm not trying to be edgey but just feel so many of their games use the same basic mechanics....just in different settings. The character action mechanics that was started when Kamiya did DMC. While I loved DMC the genre overall isn't one of my favorites and thus my lukewarm opinion of Platinum overall

Oct 27, 2017
No, it's been too long since they did something truely amazing and although I used to love their games to death, I see some of the huge design-flaws now.
If they got bought by one of the big three, I wouldn't really care, but I guess this board would still go crazy.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not really anymore (they were in the 360 era), feels like their output isn't as varied as what it was and it doesn't look as interesting to me neither.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Their licensed stuff has always been hit or miss but I can't say that their big games have disappointed me.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hell No I don't think Platinum Games are that good and if I do buy one of there games its in a heavily discounted sale

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Whoa, what didn't you like about Bayonetta 2!?

What? How did you "hate" Nier Automata!? This thread is really confusing!
The game is boring as hell, and the combat is braindead. Yeah you can do dumb flashy combos, but the game is so easy that you never need to. Plus the demo was a farce. I was sold a bill of goods based off of it.

Nice music though I guess.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Yes. The moment I saw Astral Chain I knew I wanted it day 0.

H2x1_NSwitch_AstralChain_image1600w.jpg

True but I don't know

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
never did, that's not to say I dont like their games, but it never did.

Fromsoftware and Zelda (I didnt want to say Nintendo because it's specifically only Zelda) are probably the only games I would buy blind day 1 these days.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Their big games like Bayo & Astral Chain, yes. I don't consider their licensed stuff like Transformers "real" Platinum games, they're just for paying the bills.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Platinum barely means anything to me, it's just a Japanese devs that has spotty track record and has loud fans

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Unless we're talking cheap licensed games, yes. Nier Automata is one of the best games this gen so Ni3R would be a day 1 if I've ever see one and Astral Chain looks promising.

And lmao at trying to pin Star Fox 0 stinker on Platinum, as if they were responsible for basing a game on a failed gimmick.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an idiot and have bought every one of their games outside of Korra and TMNT on the first day, even though I don't like most of them very much.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
No and i absolutely loved bayo1, MGR, vanquish. Platinum always work on so many projects at the same time and half of them end up being mediocre for obvious reasons (licensed, made under a year with very low budget etc).

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think they're a studio I trust for the most part, so mostly...
I'm usually not so interested in their licensed work though, like Kora/TMNT/Transformers (Though I was slightly interested in Transformers).
But their stuff like Bayo/TW101/Nier/Metal Gear Rising (Please make more..) are all very much enjoyable for me, and Astral Chain and Babylon's Fall I'm very interested in needless to say.

Semblance

Oct 26, 2017
California
Case by case basis. I'll definitely buy Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3 whenever I get a Switch. Some of their licensed games are alright, but I buy them on sale only. Nier Automata was one of my biggest disappointments in gaming, I don't think I would want to play another.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am very interested in Astral Chain. I'm down for Bayonetta 3.

Licensed properties? Nah. But I'll keep an eye out when they work on IP that they created. And I'll pay attention to some of their other projects.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, never had. I do somewhat enjoy the games that I've played but I don't think I'd ever pay full price for them. I almost did for Nier but, controversial as it is, I'm glad I didn't because didn't really like it that much.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
If it's not some license game with half assed budget, for sure.

PG is my favourite studio.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I understand why they are loved by people for their tight combat systems but their games don't usually interest me tbh.I played Vanquish and it was certainly a very tight shooter gameplay wise but very short,Nier Automata was genius but that had more to do with Yoko Taro than Platinum.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Their major, AAA, retail games are all day one for me.
Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Nier Automata... All masterpieces.
I know Star Fox 0 is mostly seen as bad, but even this I think is cool.

Astral Chain looks to be a pure, fucking cool, AAA PlatinumGames masterpiece. It will be good.
And I have no doubt that Bayonetta 3 will be mindblowing.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Back in the day, after Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Metal Gear Rising, I'd have bought anything Platinum had to sell.

Problem for me comes with their streak after Bayonetta 2:

The Legend of Korra - utterly forgettable and mediocre
Transformers: Devastation - outside of the initial allure of being a halfway decent Transformers game, there's not much going for it
Star Fox Zero - Not completely their fault since they were told to do the Wii U pad thing, but that decision fucked everything up
Star Fox Guard - eh?
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Fuck this game
Nier: Automata - Masterpiece of story, music, and game world but the gameplay itself wasn't all that great for me after Route A. Hacking minigames got super tedious.

Disregarding anything else like Scalebounds cancellation and their MIA mobile titles, outside of the Nier sequel (that they may or may not even be working on) and Bayonetta 3, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach with titles like Astral Chain.

How about you?
fucking this.
i have not played tmnt or nier, but i feel the same as you.
bayonetta and mgr were master pieces.

i would KILL for another anarchy reigns/mad world styled game. this is totally my jam.

i still listen to the OSTs and there is Nothing which will ever reach those games.
on par with street fighter3:3rd strike.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Very VERY few devs have that regardless of their previous games because they always try something new. I love Nintendo but I always wait to see gameplay and the core loop to see if I'll like it or not before buying. So no. That being said I'm hyped as hell about Astral Chain and will probably get that Day 1. I'm excited for Taura's directorial debut and hope he can pull it off.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
You folks are too focused on companies having a flawless track record. Platinum Games isn't a rich company with a war chest, they need to do contract work.

Having this mentality is just designed to exclude companies who needs to feed their employees. They can't just cater to you specifically, and they can't make the games they want to do all the time.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
When an action game involving Platinum is announced it still gets my attention, but I definitely wait for impressions. Although in my case waiting for impressions goes for all games, regardless of dev or pub...

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
All the stuff people list to dump on them these days were cheap, licenced Activision garbage they probably didn't have much time to work on. Though honestly I thought Transformer was a great AA kind of game we don't see much of these days, and that Korra was alright for it's price; I never played the Turtle game. So yeah I'd say I'm still down with them.