• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does online negativity about a game influence your desire to play?

• Yes

Votes: 232 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 351 33.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 514 49.7%

• Total voters

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
No way. There are so many games I loved that people didn't like so much. I finished Ryse: Son of Rome, The Gunk, The Order 1886 and Blue Stinger to name a few. I also stupidly finished Knack. That game was awful from beginning to end.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. There are franchises/devs who I trust to buy in regardless... but, especially these days, there are just too many games to keep up with and I find myself either unaware or on the fence about a lot of stuff. So I rely a lot on reviews and online discussion about a game to help me decide what to invest my time in to.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It won't influence my desire to play a game, but if there are widespread reports of technical issues, it might influence my desire to pay full price rather than waiting for a patch and a discount.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I know what I'm interested in. I can judge if I still want to engage in something messy or underwhelming or if the right people are saying "it's not worth the time."

I'd rather see the messiness for myself.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
The only games to be ruined for me from online reactions is Call of Duty and Souls games. Both because in the height of their popularity people wouldn't shut up about them and would pop into unrelated game threads to talk about how that game should be a Call of Duty or Souls clone.

I swear I saw someone talk about how you could Souls up a fucking Forza game.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Very, very rarely.

I wouldn't have played Death Stranding otherwise.

Heck, I even bought The Order... (the game had such potential... 😞)

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll play any game and see if it interests me but I will say generally online negativity will delay when and how much I will purchase a game for but try not to let the negativity ruin the game.
IE. I was very excited for The Order 1866 pre-release but after it was lauded I waited till The Order 1866 was 5$ before I played it and ended up really enjoying it.

I can't think of a single instance where I skipped out on a game completely based on online negativity.
Cyberpunk I guess...? But I'm actually still looking forward to playing that someday, Im kind of just waiting for it to hit gamepass.

Matheus

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Not really. I know what i'm into so usually i go for those games. I do get curious, however, if right-wing people slam a game because it is "too political" or whatever, because what's criticized is always something ridiculous. I'll never understand how some people did not enjoy TLOU 2 because of "THE GAME'S HIDDEN AGENDA", for example. This made me want to play the game a little more, but i was hyped for it before the whole controversy blew up, and i woundn't have played it just because of the conversation around it, if it was not my type of game.

OP
OP
Dennis8K

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the nitpicking of flaws in games overly negatively effects my desire to play even though said flaws might never even occur to me if the internet hadn't told me they were there.

Can ignorance be bliss?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Totally, depending on the source. If people around here are shitting on a game relentlessly that tends to hold a lot of weight.

Some people are just natural haters so I don't take everything to heart, obviously, but I think I'm pretty good at separating the good faith criticism from the rest.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I feel the nitpicking of flaws in games overly negatively effects my desire to play even though said flaws might never even occur to be if the internet hadn't told me they were there.
why? why would an issue that could very easily be happening only due to very specific hardware owned by someone that will never occur to you in any way ruin your experience?
and if they affect you this greatly, then why you keep seeking for them?

everything will have haters on the internet. even the best rated games. actually, specially the best rated games. if any sort of negativity is enough to put you off something, you're not lasting long on this hobby

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah I've played and really enjoyed enough games that it seems most couldn't stand, to know I have different tastes than the usual, and apparently lower standards.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what's said. My general approach to seeing if I'll skip a game or wait for a sale depends on what people are complaining about. If I'm interested enough to look into a game, then I basically look for a good reason not to buy it.

If the main complaints are about it having technical issues, or some other problem I can see myself being bothered by, then I'll probably wait for a sale, or skip it altogether if it's bad enough. If there are no real red flags, or just not too many, I'm willing to take a chance on it.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
whats stopping you from seeing post release media and player coverage? you dont need to take tim the youtube man review to heart, but you can see him playing the game and judge performance / graphics from there

Sorry, I definitely check out post release media as well. Was more referring to purchasing on release. My opinion still stands that I'm am influenced by coverage, online opinions, etc. I like to think I use the information to make an informed decision.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people in this thread pretending like reviews don't help make their decisions on what to play is absolutely insane haha.

Yeah, obviously if a game is getting a bunch of mixed or negative reactions then I'll look into it, and it will probably be heavily deprioritized on my list, if not taken off completely. There are too many genuinely phenomenal games to play to spend time on weak ones. There are exceptions of course, if it's a game or franchise I have a strong connection to for whatever reason then I'll cut a game more slack, but for me to say reactions don't have any effect on what I play would be a complete lie (and that's true of like 95% of the people on this forum)

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I used to care about reviews and previews when I was younger, but as I got older I realised games I loved were terrible to the communities eyes or some great. I just pulled myself out of it entirely.

I just play and like what I want.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Who ignores justified criticisms? Sticking my head in the sand because my pre-release hype must not be abated is what a child would do.

That doesn't mean I won't continue on with a game that reviewed poorly (Andromeda), but I will use the air around it to temper my expectations going into the experience.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The amount of people in this thread pretending like reviews don't help make their decisions on what to play is absolutely insane haha.

Yeah, obviously if a game is getting a bunch of mixed or negative reactions then I'll look into it, and it will probably be heavily deprioritized on my list, if not taken off completely. There are too many genuinely phenomenal games to play to spend time on weak ones. There are exceptions of course, if it's a game or franchise I have a strong connection to for whatever reason then I'll cut a game more slack, but for me to say reactions don't have any effect on what I play would be a complete lie (and that's true of like 95% of the people on this forum)

Whats insane is that someone think this is pretending, as if there was any reason to doing so
It's not that hard to have an opinion. And with services like gamepass, you can literally just check by yourself and anything you're willing to pay money for must be something you actually really want and wouldnt be swayed off from getting because Bub Donnart from Hard Adversaries said it was 3/10 stinky of the year

Anything you bought or wanted to buy had internet negativity about it somewhere. That's how the world work. Using reviews as base for informed purchases is very different from basing your entire habits on whether people on online forums are being unanimous in praise for it or not

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If a bunch of people tell me in earnest that a game sucks then of course I am less likely to spend money on it. Or even more valuable, my time.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
It's happened to me with Tales Of Arise.

i thought the game was supposed to be great but I keep reading bad things here.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I settled into a mode a very long time ago- If a game catches my interest and I feel like I want to play it, I'm going to play it. Ten tons of online negativity isn't going to stop me. Nor are a bunch of bad reviews. Usually I'm satisfied with the games I get, and if I'm not, it's not the end of the world. I've been at this for a very long time and I virtually never feel like I completely wasted 60 bucks on a trash game.

For me the occasional problem I do have is online positivity tricking me into buying games I intuitively know I won't like. ~side-eyes Witcher 3~

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I settled into a mode a very long time ago- If a game catches my interest and I feel like I want to play it, I'm going to play it. Ten tons of online negativity isn't going to stop me. Nor are a bunch of bad reviews. Usually I'm satisfied with the games I get, and if I'm not, it's not the end of the world. I've been at this for a very long time and I virtually never feel like I completely wasted 60 bucks on a trash game.

For me the occasional problem I do have is online positivity tricking me into buying games I intuitively know I won't like. ~side-eyes Witcher 3~
Yeah same here. The only games I have in my collection that I don't like are usually big AAA blockbuster stuff that may have reviewed highly/got tons of Era hype, but mean nothing to me personally.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If it's about micro transactions or something that will buckle and dime me then yes.

If it is about glitches then it is unlikely to bother me as much because the tolerance level for that can vary from person to person.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sometimes I read a ton of negative opinions and buy the game anyway only to confirm them and feel stupid, but most of the time I read a lot of negative opinions, buy the game anyway, and end up loving it. It's a gamble, but it's damn worth it.

Apr 2, 2021
It makes me want to play it. Especially if the game is a little original/ambitious. I probably would have waited way longer to check out 12 minutes if i didn't hear that it was a batshit misogynistic morality tale(?).

anyway that games mostly sucks, it has some great ideas but you probably shouldn't play it unless you get enjoyment out of seeing people aim for the moon but trip over their shoelaces before they leave the ground.

I guess a similar situation (but one that ended up really good) would be the Last Guardian, but that game freaking rocks and I replay it every 2 years or so. You should play that one.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I ignored Sonic 2006 for many years because of it's "reputation" but played through it last week and was pretty surprised how decent it was. Frame rate issues aside it still has some cool stuff in it.

My answer to this question was "almost never," but Sonic 06 is one of the exceptions. If people online were positive about it I may have had to get a 360 earlier than I did.

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
Usually read impressions and look for stuff like bad performance, stutter and the like but if I'm interested in something I will get and play it e en if there is negativity online.

Also the pc screenshot thread makes me wanna buy the games I don't have and reinstall the ones I have. So many cool shots in there

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It certainly can, especially when that game costs upwards of $90 CAD, but I try not to let a singular influence affect my desire to play a game.

If a I am super excited for a game, I will likely play it or get it regardless of online chatter, so long as reviews are decent. If I'm on the fence about a game though, if I see a ton of people talking negatively about a game, and if reviews are poor, then it can convince me not to buy or even play it (like Balan Wonderworld).

Honestly though, I find online chatter overall makes me more excited to play games. There are a ton of great games folks on Resetera have convinced me to try out, and I'm open to trying almost anything on Game Pass since the cost of entry is basically just my time.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Generally speaking no, not really. I know my own taste and what I might fancy.

But I will say, we are at a point now where there is no larger seal of approval than negative audience reviews contrasted against positive critical reviews. I see that and I know I'm in for something good

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Somewhat, but not always. Depends on the details. Ditto positivity. The amount of 'masterpieces' I've not enjoyed has been... well, noticeable.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I take Both positive and negative in to account from people I trust and I skim a bunch on here to get An idea before buying.

When I'm enjoying something it isn't influencing me as much.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
If I let it bother me I never would've bought Metal Gear Survive and enjoyed it.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Generally no, especially these days. A large majority of online discussion, much of Era included, just live for overblown negativity to jump on. Much of that type of discussion includes people that don't even associate with the product but just wanna get their licks in cause…well I don't know.

General and reasonable negativity/positivity I'm keen to, but anything that gets immensely overblown positive or negative (which once again is really the only way a large majority like to talk about these days), I almost immediately ignore that reaction and just find out for myself.

Some of my favorite games are ones the internet are seemingly elated to see fail, which I'll never understand.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think it just depends on my own personal interest of the game going into it. If it's a game I really really want to play (based on my interest in prior games of the same series, genre, etc) then I'll likely play it regardless of what the consensus is. On the other hand, if it's a game I was on the fence about, then negative consensus will probably push me away, which of course isn't that surprising.

Impressions also influence how soon I want to play a game, and whether something sounds 'interesting but flawed in some way' and I may wait for a sale before picking it up.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I am more likely to buy a game when there is a circle jerk of echo chambering going on. Just because I want to have my own opinion.

Vastly enjoyed Cyberpunk last year and am enjoying BF2042 right now since early access.

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
I hate to say, almost always. I read reviews before I play any game, and I usually head to Easy Allies, ResetEra, Metacritic and... IGN... to figure out if I want to play a game or not.

Sorry about mentioning IGN. I've been reading them since I was like thirteen years old, and I'm about to turn 35. :(

Oct 28, 2017
People shit on Destiny so hard but it never stopped me playing it. Originally, I just thought it was some game influenced by 70's sci fi novel covers and attracted nothing but that generation of dads to play it. Worked support services for a console manufacturer and anytime anyone called about Destiny, it was always someone 50+.

Go forward a couple years, Destiny 2 comes up in the Humble Monthly, I give it a go since I try to play at least the big name games in the bundles, and I got hooked eventually.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Generalized "Negativity" is not meaningful, but specific critiques that resonate with me could change my behavior. I think that's normal and healthy? By default I don't play most new games so it's usually excessive positivity that breaks through and changes my behavior more than negativity :) if I'm already convinced to play a new game I'm probably well informed and the general buzz won't move me backwards

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
yeah, if everyone is talking shit about something* why would i try it?
Hasn't failed me so far, in the cases where i've avoided games there was criticism and evidence of said complaints

*Unless if its about "SJW" things, i dont know how to phrase it better but you know what i mean, SOME people if they sense that a game is "woke" will just shit on it without merit and its very obvious, when that happens that makes me want to try out the product EVEN MORE, thank you Celeste

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
No. I think most people talking about games woke up with pissed on cornflakes. I like/enjoy 99.9% of the game I play (I can count on one hand the games I actively dislike, ironically the overhyped positivity here got me to play my most recent on to the list).