• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does Oni deserves a remake?

• Yes

Votes: 64 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • Who? Wuttt?

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Does anyone think that this game should get a remake? I was obsessed with it in my late teen years.

Microsoft would be a great publisher for it I feel. I'm also very interested in seeing what Sony could do with it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'd like a Ghost in the Shell like game, but not this one specifically?

The Hiveking

Oct 27, 2017
ad6

It never realized its true potential

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No not really but a remaster would be nice.

Smilator

Apr 18, 2019
Idk but I clearly remember I had a lot of fun beating up thugs.
Melee combat had a really nice feeling

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love that. Just ovverhaul the level design into something more fitting tto the gameolay and allow the NPCs to be playable and it would be perfect.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've always wanted to play this game because it's such a weird outlier in Bungie & R*'s library. I'll say yes but really it's just so I can play it more easily than on PC, no idea about the quality of the game.

Also here's a great ~30 minute video where someone looks back on the game, its legacy, and talks to a developer about its crazy crunch development.

A kinda funny story from it is that a developer was walking home and cut across a nearby high school's football field to do so and passed out. Woke up to a bunch of kids in pads all around him.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The story was pretty dark and twisted, the combat great! It's the visuals and boring level design that's bad and a perfect reason for a remake. Love that game and finish it once in a year.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I remember playing it as child, it was ok, nothing special.
But if we're talking about old pc remakes, they should remake this:
1912_dbs1.png

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Horrible level design, mediocre fighting, bad art (main character was ok, everything else was not), unremarkable music... I'd rather have another Myth.

Oni, just like Shogo, belongs to a pantheon of weird animu games that is best forgotten.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Absolutely. I thought it had a lot of good ideas going for it, just needed overall better level design and more versatile combat.

Honestly they could just call it something else and not specifically Oni, but just take the game world, main character and style of gameplay and bring it up to the modern day.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
A reimagining would be amazing. It's still a game like no other, but the level design and story are a little all over the place.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't even good when it came out.
This is where I stand as well. It was interesting to see games with an anime presentation being given a spotlight especially back then when we were seeing a ton of anime shows and manga getting localized on masse. I have no issues with any of that. It's just the game itself was pretty crap and forgettable. The best thing about the game was it's dope shiny cover

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be interested in a full-blown remake since it's basically an unauthorized Ghost in the Shell with gameplay that's a mix between brawler & shooter. It'd have to be a full-blown remake though since the original game wasn't great.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Horrible level design, mediocre fighting, bad art (main character was ok, everything else was not), unremarkable music... I'd rather have another Myth.

Oni, just like Shogo, belongs to a pantheon of weird animu games that is best forgotten.

You take that back!
Maybe I like being instakilled by a shotgunner the moment I round a corner.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just remember that game being less than mediocre, akin to fighting force 2, but if they change the entire game in the remaking process? sure.