• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

?

• Yes, some games look good but as a whole it's been underwhelming

Votes: 1,159 58.1%
  • No, it's been a typical gen jump and most games look incredible

Votes: 836 41.9%

• Total voters

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Deep Down, an old PS4 demo, looks better than any game we've seen.
I guess the Unreal Engine demo was the most impressive thing so far.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Very much so, I honestly see little reason to get a PS5 at this point. I might even cancel my paid-off reservation. I'm still getting PS5 of course, but I might just wait a bit longer.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Sorry, but that has always been the case. In 3 years we are all stunned by all the good games with amazing visuals, the beginning is always slow and i imagine Covid didn't help here either. Have patience!

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Demon's Souls and Ratchet both look stunning. The majority of what has been shown elsewhere is cross-ten, so there is that...

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about "no it's been a typical generational jump i.e. a noticable but not incredible nor underwhelming difference that is somewhat less of a jump than the last one"

Less significant jump than Gen 7 -> 8 which was less significant than Gen 6 -> 7 which was less significant than Gen 5 -> 6 but that is to be expected.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 looks ace, Switch 2 will complete the duo. Launch year going to be amazing.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
What got me was the Demon Souls showing yesterday, not really the graphics as graphics are pretty impressive today all around. It was the performance, I think next gen is going to be all about framerate which I'm happy about. I've said it before, if games looked just as impressive as some of the best looking games this gen (RDR2, Last of Us 2) but 60FPS then I count that I win.

Mar 8, 2018
Next gen is always about what things will be like in three years. If you buy in early it's because you're willing to wait that out OR you see some kind of immediate utility.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
To be underwhelmed, I would have needed to whelmed in the first place.

Next gen looks like what I expected: more of the same, and prettier but not even that much prettier all things considered. Diminishing returns and all that.

I'll still get an xbox because flight simulator and gamepass. But I'm more excited by VR going forward, and possibly by what Nintendo has in store next year.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Not really. Games are looking damn good.

It helps watching the trailers on 4K streams, because PS5 games on 1080p Youtube compression are looking like PS4 games. There's so much more detail in everything that you simply miss.

Or maybe I'm not expecting the impossible.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
From a pure graphical point of view, I was far more impressed by KZ: Shadow Fall and Ryse in 2013 than I am today with any of the "next-gen" games (although many of them do look very good, don't get me wrong).

But I can't really say I'm underwhelmed, I kind of expected it.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I felt this way until the PS4 sizzle reel for PS Plus Collection dropped. Then the differences started to feel more pronounced.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not for me.

Look at all the particles and lighting! Next-gen is burning my eyes.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Demon's Souls is definitely on top right now. It looks miles better than anything I've played recently.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon isn't next gen.

Demon Souls doesn't look mind blowing either.

Hellblade teaser and UE5 demo both looked next gen.

Little of anything else does.

If my brother hadn't ordered my PS5 the only new console id look at in the next 12 months is the switch pro.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not easily impressed by graphical fidelity so for me it's going to come down to a lot of the things we don't have the full details on yet, like frame rate, stability, loading times, etc. So far I absolutely do not see a compelling reason to jump in to next-gen right away, but probably will within the first year.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Do you feel the same?
No. Games that are truly taking advantage of the hardware (such as Ratchet & Demon's Souls) look like clear steps forward. Spider-Man also looks great (yes, it is a clear step ahead of the original PS4 game) even though I would have preferred a full blown next gen-only product.

That said, much of the problem is not that the hardware can't (or won't) do much better. It feels as if the resources are not being fully utilized to push said visuals the way we saw with previous generational transitions. But, that's the extent of it. I'm sure by gen's end, this concern will be crushed by the visuals that are surely to come from these two consoles.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Are we gonna have this thread after every single conference for the next year or so?

And every new generation. Burning hot takes initially, then the games keep coming and raising the bar, at which time the community laughs at its own silliness and promises to behave the next time...Then the successors to the consoles release, followed by the burning hot takes...

tenor.gif

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I only looked at the Spider Man trailer. Graphics aside, slowly walking and having a conversation with an npc through a slightly crowded street in games needs to die already.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
This is probably just me but I hate load times and 30 FPS. If next gen means 60 fps + and fast load times with current gen graphics thats worth it for me.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The diminishing returns in terms of graphical fidelity is there, sure. It was there between PS3 and PS4 too. True progress only comes down the line.

But stuff like RTX and above all the SSD load speed are game changers. If for instance Ratchet & Clank can make good on the promise of the latter, it will feel like a next-gen moment.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls is the only game I've seen so far that's really given me that next gen shock. That feeling of "there's no way older systems could do this."

And while I adore Demon's Souls, to be on the eve of next gen and only see one game that truly impresses me from a visual standpoint is definitely disappointing.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Demon's Souls and parts of Ratchet are the only things that have looked next gen to me so far. But to be fair we still haven't seen a ton of footage, and launch titles are often a lot less impressive than titles that release further into the life cycle of a console.

LewLew

Jul 21, 2020
for people expecting the graphical leap to be the same as last gen to now, it wont be close. We went to a new form of rending this gen (pbr)

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Games look great. So far my only disappointment is cross gen Horizon. It looks amazing, but I'm lowering my expectations for major game design changes.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Demon's Souls doesn't look like anything that can run on a PS4 Pro. Like, not close at all.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually impressed with how much RT we are seeing so early on. Also happy to hear about all the framerate options (the most impressive/important thing).

Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and Harry Potter (unfortunately) looked pretty next gen to me.

Ratchet looks incredible as well.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Im not particular bothered how the games look. Its how the feel, play and if they bring new ideas to the table.

Resogun was the best game launch game in 2013 for me and while very good looking. Was not at the level Shadowfall or Ryse.