• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best OST of the NES?

• Yes

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Not at all

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • No, but it's up there

Votes: 25 41.0%

• Total voters

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I rarely go back to listen to 8-bit soundtracks, but whenever I do I always want to just boot up a playlist of the soundtrack for Earthbound Beginnings. There's just something about the way the songs are composed that just make it a joy to listen to.

(I would seriously just ride the train between the two longest points for no reason but to hear this song loop fully.)

In fact, I would even go as far to say that this game wouldn't really be worth playing through if it wasn't for the soundtrack. The design of the game is definitely dated by today's standards, and it is notoriously difficult for a first-time playthrough with its maze-like dungeons and tough (read: borderline unfair) enemy encounters. What honestly drove me through my most recent playthrough of the game was just to hear all these amazing chiptunes.

And Nintendo knew that they had something special here. Why else would they have made a special album that gives vocals to many of the major songs from that game? I've never seen a company do something like this, especially for such a niche franchise that never even came to the West at the time (I know it was planned to and ultimately canceled, but still).

(Posting the original and Catherine Warwick's vocalization of it for comparison's sake. Did you know she was only 14 when she sang for this album? That's some incredible range for someone that young.)

Even in Smash, the majority of Earthbound music is from this game. Pollyanna, Bein' Friends, Humoresque of a Little Dog, Eight Melodies, Magicant, etc. all came from Earthbound Beginnings, not its more contemporary and well-known sequel (whose main character Ness is, ironically, the face of the series despite how little musical representation his own game gets). People who played on Onett in Melee heard music exclusively from this game.

(Non-butchered version, of course. Fun fact: This version of the song is directly based off of the vocalized version made for the above mentioned album, as it has musical cues lifted from that song that are not present in the original. Please fix this for Ultimate, Sakurai! ;__; )

So what do people here say? Am I overrating it or is the OST for Earthbound Beginnings really something special?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. It's good with some great tracks, but there's many better ones and I say this as a huge fan.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's good but on the same system as Mega Man and Castlevania it doesn't come close.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It certainly has a remarkable range for an NES game. I'm not sure I would pick it as the absolute best, but it's definitely among the top contenders.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Silver Surfer bops.

Later agmes in Japan got creative with an extra sound chip in the game cart itself. Castlevania 3 has a ace soundtrack.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
It may not be the absolute best, but it has to be the Famicom soundtrack that's most ingeniously integrated into and reflective of its game's narrative and themes, and for that reason is probably my favorite. (For general gameplay integration, something like Otocky is probably the most interesting)

I mean, to defeat the final boss, you have to
repeatedly sing at it using the eight melodies you've collected throughout the game.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
By the way, regardless of how people here vote, I do encourage everyone who hasn't listened to the OST yet to do so. Even without the context of the game it is just sublime, and surprisingly varied considering the hardware it is based on.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are so many better soundtracks on NES: Castlevania series, Lagrange Point, Zelda series, Mega Man series, Journey to Silius, Batman, Ultimate Stuntman, Battletoads, etc..

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
By the way, regardless of how people here vote, I do encourage everyone who hasn't listened to the OST yet to do so. Even without the context of the game it is just sublime, and surprisingly varied considering the hardware it is based on.

it's a pretty good OST but varied and complex NES scores aren't that uncommon-- especially when you factor in the Japanese titles w/ custom rom-mappers.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
I always thought Earthbound's soundtrack was good, very fitting with the game, but a bit aggressive to listen to outside of the game, with very high pitched sounds and not very melodic sounds.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Was just thinking that last night. It's a really strong soundtrack.

My favourite right now:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's a pretty good OST but varied and complex NES scores aren't that uncommon-- especially when you factor in the Japanese titles w/ custom rom-mappers.
Yeah, Konami's VRC-7 is impressive. It's a variation of the same audio chip used in the Mark III FM expansion/Japanese Master System except inside the cartridge.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My favorite trilogy of games of all time. I love every game in it to pieces.

That said, many examples of superior compositions have been posted in this thread. This isn't to discredit Beginnings' soundtrack. This is just a testament to how many awesome composers were cranking out masterpieces on this console.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
To me that award goes TMNT 3.

Every track on there is a banger, meticulously crafted, massive fun, pumped full of energy:

Castlevania 3 comes really close, but I find it has too many drab songs to be an enjoyable listen on its own from beginning to end. TMNT3 though? Everything rocks!