• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I was reminded about this from the recent Shovel Knight stream.
For those who don't remember, the original physical run of Shovel Knight was cancelled due to the "Minimum Disk Rule" the first go around

I'm going to assume in this specific case they just upped the number of copies that will be printed (As there hasn't been any other indications of other companies being able to print a smaller run of X1 games). But it makes me wonder if maybe the rule did change or if the rule is something that will change in the future. Going back to my thread talking about Japanese support (Link Here). Apparently one of the big issues for support has been the minimum disk print rule. I've been told companies such as ArcSys dropped off of the system partly due to this, as having physical copies for consoles is something they prefer for bigger titles.

Despite a lot of the Xbox eco-system revolving around digital now, having a physical copy on shelves is always a good idea in some capacity. But if said physical copies cost more to produce than your expectations, the question on why even bother porting at all crops up. This disk print rule has also impacted collector initiatives such as Limited Run Games from even doing it themselves. Which isn't a good look if you ask me and just furthers the whole "Catch 22" mentality which takes place on products and how they would perform on Xbox.

As I said before, just wanted to bring this topic back up in-case someone has heard anything or if I missed something. Since as it stands, this rule if it hasn't changed would likely be a hurdle for the next-generation of xbox and the third party support MS wants to promise to its user-base.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Limited Run isn't printing any Metal Wolf Chaos XD copies for the Xbox, I'd say it's just Shovel Knight upping the disc order.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think they might've relaxed their print runs a bit. After all, NISA recently announced La-Mulana 1+2 for Xbox One, complete with an LE, as well.

la-mulana_xbox_full_esrb_white.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think they might've relaxed their print runs a bit. After all, NISA recently announce La-Mulana 1+2 for Xbox One, complete with an LE, as well.

la-mulana_xbox_full_esrb_white.png

I completely missed that. Time to see if this actually happens or if it gets cancelled like RPG Maker.
But this does bold well that things might have just recently changed and stuff like Limited Run Games might have fell out the last time they checked (Since i'm sure a deal like Metal Wolf Chaos was done long ago).

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I completely missed that. Time to see if this actually happens or if it gets cancelled like RPG Maker.
But this does bold well that things might have just recently changed and stuff like Limited Run Games might have fell out the last time they checked (Since i'm sure deal like Metal Wolf Chaos were done long ago).

IIRC RPG Maker's Xbox version got canceled in Japan too, so it was entirely out of NISA's hands. Assuming that nothing like that happens here it *should* be fine?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they get rid of it, because that rule is just stupid and it didn't even apply to everyone (thankfully).

Just like everything else, it should be the publishers/developers decision.

What is the prime rule?

Games that released on Xbox One, had to print like 200,000 physical copies minimum.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that number, because I'm not entirely sure if that's true. I think that number was thrown arround during the Final Fantasy Type 0 HD release, though.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! I didn't catch that the Treasure Trove was getting a physical Xbox One release! I was really bummed when the original game got cancelled for Xbox One.

Thanks for bringing my attention to that, OP.

It feels like there was another game that I can't remember right now that didn't get a physical release on Xbox One that bummed me out (it feels like it's on the tip of my brain...), so I hope they do basically just let more games essentially just be able to have physical copies on their platform going forward.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Oh! I didn't catch that the Treasure Trove was getting a physical Xbox One release! I was really bummed when the original game got cancelled for Xbox One.

Thanks for bringing my attention to that, OP.

It feels like there was another game that I can't remember right now that didn't get a physical release on Xbox One that bummed me out (it feels like it's on the tip of my brain...), so I hope they do basically just let more games essentially just be able to have physical copies on their platform going forward.

Im curious what that other title is now lol

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, looks like they lowered the requirements for physical editions, that's nice.

I always wanted to own a physical copy Shovel Knight on Xbox One but went with the WiiU when it got cancelled

Glad to know they are back to it

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Im curious what that other title is now lol
I dunno lol. After my post I went through my "manage alerts" on Amazon and Shovel Knight and Shadow Warrior 2 for Xbox are still on there. So it might've been Shadow Warrior 2? That got physical copies for PS4 and PC, but those were like Limited Run and Special Reserve releases though. I thought it was another "smaller" game but I can't think of anything else right now.

Oh well (I didn't like Shadow Warrior 2 anyways).