• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Its exclusive because Marvel went directly to Sony saying they wanted a game on the same caliber as their other tentpole exclusives

Insomniac just so happened to pick SpiderMan

Back in the days I thought it was reported being part of the Sony - Marvel deal in exchange for bringing Spider-Man to the MCU? Along with the animated movie?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Irrelevant for a single player game. And SF5 has cross-play with PC. Most powerful system on the market is irrelevant to a deal for a game that is years away and irrelevant in general for the games quality. Not good arguments.
Uh, what? Who are you to say what's relevant and irrelevant? The point is MS can come to Marvel with a big stack of cash, and a handful of contentions that sweeten the deal. Microsoft can pitch an exclusive from many angles, on many different basis. They're not some small-time b-grade publisher, no matter what some here might think. If MS comes out with an offer big swinging dick and all,

Yet Marvel went to Sony, so maybe they can infact provide something most publishers could not.

An Insomniac dev himself said Sony have the best pipeline for those type of games in the industry and They've done nothing but sing Sony's praises.
And Sony probably are the best in the industry for it. Though that doesn't preclude Microsoft from approaching Marvel and going 'Hey Marvel, we have a big bag of cash, an incredible team in-mind, and a desire to make a critically-acclaimed AAAA Marvel exclusive'

Spiderman is an incredible achievement, but come on. It's hardly something that other pubs couldn't replicate. Sony hired a talented team who were a great fit for the IP, gave them a good budget, generous development time, strong marketing, and provided good tech support. These are conditions that Microsoft (and Nintendo) could fulfill as well. It's hardly rocket science.

Last edited:

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
I think we will, but not any time soon. Maybe early next gen? Microsoft is too focused on rebuilding their first party exclusive to take on a licensed IP right now.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a game I associate with MS...even though I played it on PS2 first. That 360 pack in with Forza.

They have to be salivating for a Marvel deal after Sony and Nintendo's. I'm sure they'll nab something.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
Pretty much
"The thing we landed on is to be really selective with who we partner with. Extremely selective. Right now I would say that out of every 10 opportunities we look at, we maybe do one."

The Insomniac interview tells the story, iirc.
Since, we have the Avengers project, to all systems, spiderman and UA3.
Cheers
200w.gif

Deleted member 19954

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously don't understand the logic here.
Sony and Insomniac gave us such a successful exclusive.
Lets give a franchise to MS and see whether they can produce such result.

???

With such successful exclusive, it makes more sense to work together with Sony to make more Franchises/approach Insomniac to make another multiplat.

There is only 1 way for MS to get an exclusive for themselves. That is to pay Disney and buy one.
Maybe make it a nextgen launch game.

UA3 on Switch only is really strange.
Maybe Nintendo pay for it or maybe they dont seem to expect many players to like it on PS4 or XBX.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, what? Who are you to say what's relevant and irrelevant? The point is MS can come to Marvel with a big stack of cash, and a handful of contentions that sweeten the deal. Microsoft can pitch an exclusive from many angles, on many different basis. They're not some small-time b-grade publisher, no matter what some here might think. If MS comes out with an offer big swinging dick and all,

And Sony probably are the best in the industry for it. Though that doesn't preclude Microsoft from approaching Marvel and going 'Hey Marvel, we have a big bag of cash, an incredible team in-mind, and a desire to make a critically-acclaimed AAAA Marvel exclusive'

Spiderman is an incredible achievement, but come on. It's hardly something that other pubs couldn't replicate. Sony hired a talented team who were a great fit for the IP, gave them a good budget, generous development time, strong marketing, and provided good tech support. These are conditions that Microsoft (and Nintendo) could fulfill as well. It's hardly rocket science.
Yet they haven't, so maybe it's not as simple as you think it is. Or Marvel have others (Square being one of them) in mind instead.
Also you are mistaken if you think it's easy to just pull a "AAAA" game out your ass like you are describing. Like this gen alone MS gave Platinum the budget for their dream project and Platinum of all studios fucked it up.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously don't understand the logic here.
Sony and Insomniac gave us such a successful exclusive.
Lets give a franchise to MS and see whether they can produce such result.

???

With such successful exclusive, it makes more sense to work together with Sony to make more Franchises/approach Insomniac to make another multiplat.

There is only 1 way for MS to get an exclusive for themselves. That is to pay Disney and buy one.
Maybe make it a nextgen launch game.

Maybe Nintendo pay for it or maybe they dont seem to expect many players to like it on PS4 or XBX.

You think Sony will create a game for every Marvel character out there? If Marvel are getting a AAA game from one of MS first party then it makes perfect sense for Marvel to use one of thier top IPs rather then it sitting on the shelf doing nothing. Marvel are not exclusive as a company, sounds like alot here are hoping were. MS have had a few exclusives from Disney in the past, they have a good relationship with them, feels as if MS wanted to, they could easily secure any IP that isn't Spiderman.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
If Marvel's strategy is to just partner with different devs and get a large variety of quality games based on their properties... That's really smart and better than trying to use one publisher. MS makes sense but I have no idea which studio they'd put on it. Maybe a third party studio with MS publishing?

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Only Sony should be allowed to make Marvel games, they have the best pipeline production in the industry.

Oct 25, 2017

Azure servers and cross-play are irrelevant for a single player game. I don't need to be an expert to realize that.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Marvel approached Sony telling what they want.
Sony said they have the perfect guys for the project.
Sony asks Insomniac (who marvel wanted in the first place) what Marvel ip they wanted to work with and had been developing games (exclusives) since the ps1.
Insomniac says Spider-Man. Who wouldn't!?
Sony says ok. You make the game and we'll do the rest.

I imagine it was the same with Nintendo.
Marvel > Nintendo > Team Ninja who has done work for them before.

I thought Marvel already explained this shit.
One high quality multiplat game for everyone.
With each platform having a high quality exclusive.

Multiplat: Avengers
Mobile: whatever fightin game
PS4: Spider-Man
Switch: Ultimate Alliance 3 (which looks dope btw)
Xbox: ? I dunno. But I wouldn't expect a cinematic single player game.
Right. It was Marvel's decision. They could decide to give Microsoft an exclusive or decide against it. But none of these games NEEDED to be exclusive. It was Marvel's decision. The person I was responding to said that in the hypothetical that Marvel gives Microsoft a property to be used in a gaas game that game would not need to be exclusive to Xbox and Game Pass. And that's true. But it's Marvel's call.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Marvel did not "tap" Sony for Spiderman.

Sony owns the license, they do whatever they want with it.

--

As for Microsoft: of course they could get a Marvel exclusive IP, as long as they pay for it, and I imagine it would not be a small amount.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

--

As for Microsoft: of course they could get a Marvel exclusive IP, as long as they pay for it, and I imagine it would not be a small amount.
Sony only own the movie license as far as i know.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

--

Again no, it's been said over and over and over again in this thread.

- Marvel went to Sony for publishing because they like the quality of their first party games, and asked for an studio to develop it.
- Sony offered Insomniac for the job, thanks to the good relationship they have.
- Marvel offered Insomniac the possibility of choosing whatever Marvel character they wanted. INSOMNIAC DECIDED TO DO SPIDER-MAN, ONLY THEM.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Not now, but now that they are the kings of CRPG one would not be bad.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

--

Sony did not have license for spider-man games, only the movies. Also Marvel did not specifically give Spider-Man to Sony, they just ask Sony to make a Marvel game and Insomniac choose Spider-Man.

Insomniac could choose other characters if they want to, maybe even Avengers because as far as I know, this Sony/Marvel deal happen before Marvel/Squenix deal

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Right. It was Marvel's decision. They could decide to give Microsoft an exclusive or decide against it. But none of these games NEEDED to be exclusive. It was Marvel's decision. The person I was responding to said that in the hypothetical that Marvel gives Microsoft a property to be used in a gaas game that game would not need to be exclusive to Xbox and Game Pass. And that's true. But it's Marvel's call.

Marvel only decided the game would be exclusive the moment they decided they wanted Sony to be the one to publish it. That is more an effect of Sony policy than Marvel.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A coop shooter would be perfect for MS, it's not Marvel but I think Suicide Squad is perfect for them.
It's always funny when people think Sony own the game license because of the movie license they hold. While at the same time they couldn't make Spider-Man games when Activision had the license.
Licensing IP is such a headache when you think about it.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the next box? Maybe, big maybe. But most likely not. I feel they may ride the SONY train as it has proven to be successful.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Marvel only decided the game would be exclusive the moment they decided they wanted Sony to be the one to publish it. That is more an effect of Sony policy than Marvel.
No. Marvel decided this themselves. They do not want any more crap. They want exclusives and are only giving out ip to those that have the resources to make them "epic" titles.

"What we look at first and foremost is the talent level of partner," he said. "Are they world class in building the games we're talking about? They have to have world-class talent. They have to be able to invest the resources to make that talent sing. Equally important is, do they have passion for the IP they're working on? Do they share the same ambition? Do they love the character? We look for passion, that comes through in the first 30 seconds."

Square enix is publishing the Avengers project. Multiplatform and I expect equal love like Kingdom Hearts 3.

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe people are still parroting the "Sony owns the entire Spider-Man license" nonsense. It's been debunked so many times. Sony only has the movies rights. That's it.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Is it?

It's totally possible Marvel went to Nintendo because they like their first party output (same with Sony basically).

Plus it's also worth noting that Marvel right now only has the LEGO games on Switch, which is a fairly big platform now.

If the first part is true then i understand why Microsoft doesn't have any Marvel exclusive yet considering their first party titles haven't been as consistent as those from Sony and Nintendo. Also don't forget this gen Microsoft cancelled several exclusives.

Last edited:

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
VRs a little different. That Batman game was exclusive for a while but no one really seemed to care. If anything, this might rule out a MS exclusive Iron Man game, but that's not necessarily true.