• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
So many folks in this thread completely fail at understanding the point of an exclusive.

The whole point to get one is to entice folks to buy the damn platform.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consider several things:

- Marvel is actively looking to release games based on their franchies to boost the popularity of their MCU and bank on it.
- They however don't have a development or publishment force to pull that off themselves.
- Marvel, with that in mind, went to Sony in order to ask them to develop an AAA singleplayer game based on one of their IPs. They chose Sony because they're one of the biggest publishers out there right now, on the biggest console available at the moment. This became Spider-Man as we know it.
- Marvel then decided to look for a way to ressurect their old but well known IP Marvel Ultimate Alliance, which would benefit immensively from the new boosted MCU cast. A quick look at the market is enough to realize that the Switch is the go-to platform for that kind of local co-op/very easy to play game.
- They then went to Nintendo with the project and struck a deal. They just had to find a developer for that task, and that's where Team Ninja comes in the picture. Koei Tecmo was looking for a breakout hit in the west and this was the perfect occasion.

With that in mind, what would Microsoft bring to Marvel that those two couldn't ? What kind of audience is Microsoft covering that would justify them developping and publishing an entire Marvel game ? If you can't find an answer, that gives you their chances to get an exclusive.

People thinking that Marvel don't care or just let anyone do what they want are out of their mind.

Erm MS still achieve big numbers especially for multiplayer games. Also MCU is vast, thier characters doing nothing isn't the best for thing for them, so obviously striking a deal to get as many quality titles based on thier IP makes business sense. If MS put out a quality Punisher game by Coalition for instance, that would not only do big numbers it would appeal to large amount of Marvel fans who arnt exclusive to a console, I'd assume a significant portion that purchased Spiderman would happily purchase a quality Marvel game on Xbox.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel is trying to make money, not do everyone favors from the bottom of their heart. Unless MS paid a shitload like they did for the Tomb Raider games they're not going to entertain such a foolish thing.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said you're limiting yourself by going exclusive. And they are doing avengers multi platform. And star wars. So it's not consistent. They could have easily had a third party publisher make Spiderman using insomniac as the dev. Same with this Nintendo game being made by a third party and team ninja as a dev. No difference here. Don't you understand?
Of course I understand. You want Microsoft to have an exclusive Marvel game, clearly. For things to be consistent, Marvel would have to view all of these companies at the same level, but clearly they don't or the decision to give Microsoft free reign on one of their IPs would be clear as day. There is a difference. Marvel is finding publishers on a case-by-case basis, and Microsoft doesn't seem to be at the top of their list of publishers to hone in on, for good reason.

So, why does any of what you said matter? Why do you think any publisher should go exclusive with one company? It's because they feel like it works better for their business. Why should they have gone multiplatform with Spider-Man? It smashed records, it's one of the best selling games of the year, and it (to quote) "achieved launch month sales 37 percent higher than the combined launch month sales of all other Spider-Man games released since The NPD Group began tracking in 1995". Who would have published and produced Insomniac's theoretical multiplatform Spider-Man game to the same degree in which Sony did? It wouldn't have been the same game without Sony's first-party production pipeline and support. This point has been covered time and time again.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If they come to a financial agreement with Marvel, sure. Not sure what there is to debate in this thread. MS doesn't "deserve" their own marvel game, they aren't next in line, that's not how it works.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Spider-Man game was part of the negotiation to get Spider-Man in the MCU. And I assume Ultimate Alliance 3 had some financial trouble and Nintendo bailed them out in exchange for exclusivity on a couch co-op game.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

They tapped Sony to do any Marvel property they wanted (Insomniac chose to do Spider-Man) because they know Sony's reputation for quality titles. UA on Switch is prolly something that just makes sense from a platform and target audience standpoint.

It's difficult to imagine Xbox holding either of those cards. If Xbox wants a Marvel exclusive, they're prolly gonna have to cough up a lot of cash for it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
No.

They tapped Sony to do any Marvel property they wanted (Insomniac chose to do Spider-Man) because they know Sony's reputation for quality titles. UA on Switch is prolly something that just makes sense from a platform and target audience standpoint.

It's difficult to imagine Xbox holding either of those cards. If Xbox wants a Marvel exclusive, they're prolly gonna have to cough up a lot of cash for it.

I mean, Sony coughed up a lot of cash. Developing Spider-Man wasn't cheap. There is nothing inherently stopping MS and Marvel from coming to some sort of agreement that both sides view as beneficial. Using those parameters, anything is possible. Aside from that, we don't really know enough else about the relationships to know much more.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If MS wanted to and paid $$$ to Papa Disney they could easily have an exclusive. The question is if that makes sense for MS to invest in this.

After seeing how Spider-Man did at selling software and consoles, the answer might be yes. We won't see any results for a few years though.

Oh and Iron Man game in first person would make a ton of sense since you got the whole Jarvis UI there. Iron Man VR for Xbox Next 2021, you heard it here first.

Lol that Ironman game would prolly be on psvr before any Microsoft vr . Just because psvr is already proven and Spiderman would give confidence to invest

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
For all this talk about how Microsoft aren't particularly good at producing singleplayer games, not only is that historically inaccurate, they've most recently acquired mostly singleplayer developers.

Also, Insomniac would not have been tapped to Spider-Man coming off Fuse.

They were tapped because of how good Sunset Overdrive was, a project which Microsoft produced on whose contributions Insomniac were very positive.

Insomniac's Ted Price on Sunset Overdrive, working with Microsoft, and more

And there are instances out there of Insomniac and other devs being complimentary of Microsoft's support.

The idea Microsoft couldn't support a quality Marvel game is simply inaccurate.
No Sony went to Insomniac because of their track record and history together. Sunset Overdrive had nothing to do with it as I'm pretty sure it wasn't even released when Sony went to Insomniac to do a Marvel game.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Sony went to Insomniac because of their track record and history together. Sunset Overdrive had nothing to do with it as I'm pretty sure it wasn't even released when Sony went to Insomniac to do a Marvel game.

This is so blatantly disingenuous.

Marvel suggested Insomniac to Sony first.

Around the time they had just put out Sunset Overdrive.

When did Insomniac ever make a game remotely similar to Spider-Man for Sony?

As if you'd like actually try to make this point.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm pretty sure Spider-Man being a Sony exclusive is a very specific case, I don't see any other major Marvel IP being platform exclusive going forward. Switch Avengers game exists because there is an Avengers game in development for PS4/XB1 and probably can't be ported to Switch, much like MHW.

Agreed. Playstation is Sony's most important product and Spider-Man is Disney's most popular Marvel character. It's my opinion there is some quid pro quo between the two companies.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Now imagine if Spider-Man was exclusive to Xbox and not ps4....

There would have been genuine death threats and mass media/fans badgering of devs on all social media and beyond for answers everyday.

I hope Microsoft does get an exclusive. They deserve it for all the hard work over the last few years.
Hey! I work hard every day too! Does that mean I also get an exclusive Marvel game?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Sony coughed up a lot of cash. Developing Spider-Man wasn't cheap. There is nothing inherently stopping MS and Marvel from coming to some sort of agreement that both sides view as beneficial. Using those parameters, anything is possible. Aside from that, we don't really know enough else about the relationships to know much more.

Of course Sony coughed up cash, and of course Marvel could decide there's something to gain with Microsoft, but I think that's going to be decided by Microsoft creating better first party titles in the future. Marvel Games is apparently really trying to focus on putting out quality games more than anything at present, which is why they really wanted to work with Sony in the first place.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Sony coughed up cash, and of course Marvel could decide there's something to gain with Microsoft, but I think that's going to be decided by Microsoft creating better first party titles in the future. Marvel Games is apparently really trying to focus on putting out quality games more than anything at present, which is why they really wanted to work with Sony in the first place.

I mean, they signed off on MvCI, and even though I'm looking forward to it, MUA3 doesn't exactly look like it's going to be a big budget release. Let's not act like Marvel Games has some impossibly high standard they hold their business partners to that MS would be incapable of meeting. If both parties wanted to make it happen, right now, not once MS proves itself or whatever silly reason, it could happen.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they signed off on MvCI, and even though I'm looking forward to it, MUA3 doesn't exactly look like it's going to be a big budget release. Let's not act like Marvel Games has some impossibly high standard they hold their business partners to that MS would be incapable of meeting. If both parties wanted to make it happen, right now, not once MS proves itself or whatever silly reason, it could happen.

It's my understanding that Spider-Man was the start of that initiative. Obviously Marvel has a shitty track record before that. I remember the Spidey titles that preceded it being used as an example of titles they weren't interested in putting out anymore.

And I didn't say anything about large budgets. Just quality titles. Obviously if both parties want it to happen, it will, and immediately. I just gave my reason why I don't think it's something Marvel is about to initiate with MS, at present. If it happens today, it was prolly the latter party that approached the former.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now imagine if Spider-Man was exclusive to Xbox and not ps4....

There would have been genuine death threats and mass media/fans badgering of devs on all social media and beyond for answers everyday.

I hope Microsoft does get an exclusive. They deserve it for all the hard work over the last few years.
Makes sense, you cut off the largest fanbase.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel came to Sony because they are one of the best creators of cinematic singleplayer games in the industry, and because they are the undisputed market leader. Microsoft isn't. So why would they suddenly approach Microsoft for an exclusive game? Because of 'fairness'? Lol. Because Microsoft pays for it? Disney/Marvel isn't interested in making a few quick bucks. They want to make great, successful games to strengthen their brand. And they got exactly that with their Sony deal. So why change that? Don't expect any exclusive games from Microsoft anytime soon.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018

Marvel suggested Insomniac but they still put Sony to the task of selecting the developer.

And if you actually played Insomniac's games, you would know that a lot of the DNA in Marvel's Spider-Man comes from Resistance and Ratchet & Clank (in addition to Sunset Overdrive).

And you can tell where the Sony influence is if you watch the cutscenes in Spider-Man. That right there is why Marvel picked Sony as a publisher.

If Microsoft were to get a Marvel game it would be set to MS's strengths. A competitive GaaS shooter, not a narrative game.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Of course I understand. You want Microsoft to have an exclusive Marvel game, clearly. For things to be consistent, Marvel would have to view all of these companies at the same level, but clearly they don't or the decision to give Microsoft free reign on one of their IPs would be clear as day. There is a difference. Marvel is finding publishers on a case-by-case basis, and Microsoft doesn't seem to be at the top of their list of publishers to hone in on, for good reason.

So, why does any of what you said matter? Why do you think any publisher should go exclusive with one company? It's because they feel like it works better for their business. Why should they have gone multiplatform with Spider-Man? It smashed records, it's one of the best selling games of the year, and it (to quote) "achieved launch month sales 37 percent higher than the combined launch month sales of all other Spider-Man games released since The NPD Group began tracking in 1995". Who would have published and produced Insomniac's theoretical multiplatform Spider-Man game to the same degree in which Sony did? It wouldn't have been the same game without Sony's first-party production pipeline and support. This point has been covered time and time again.
And you would have said that same thing about Nintendo a week ago. And here we are. Sounds like wishful thinking from you

Nov 12, 2017
How it is completely false when multiple single player xbox exclusives failed while Multiplayer ones succedeed?

quantum break,ryse, sunset overdrive,panzer dragoon,D4,Recore ?

while gears halo forza did good
Easy....most of them because they was just mediocre games ..other early games with a very low install base ...

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Do you think it would only be fair if they did??

Sigh...when will we get that these giant corps are just business. Shawn doesn't go home thinking of how he can stop one-up Phil Spencer.

If it's makes business sense and MS has the right studio for it, it will be done. Right now I don't see anything that fits like that.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Say it with me now: Marvel's Doctor Strange by Remedy Entertainment coming in 2023.

Psychedelic, physics breaking, reality bending, mind blowing, high fidelity time distorting action hijinks and quantum entanglements by the creators of Max Payne, Alan Wake and Quantum Break.

Remedy would have to get a bit more colourful with their palette, but I think Sam Lake is capable of writing a really cool story for it.

God dammit, this is something I never knew I wanted.

I would absolutely love to play this.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

You think Spidey went into development in late 2014? And Marvel suggested multiple studios, Sony choose Insomniac because of their relationship. It was Insomniac who choose to do Spidey too, not Sony, making it even more unlikely they where choosen because of Sunset.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if any of the Microsoft studios bar maybe Playground Games, necessarily have the track record or ability to pull off something as successful as Spider-Man, and I'm not sure Marvel/a third party dev would want to cut off the biggest portion of console gamers by releasing exclusively to the platform with by far the smallest install base. Ultimately the Xbox One isn't selling nearly as well globally as either the Switch or PS4, which limits the scope or potential reach further.

The Switch has the smallest install base, I don't know why people keep bringing that up when it is false.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm confused, is there a different Marvel Alliance I've missed? Because those are multiplatform and made by Activision.

Sony got a Spider-Man game because the licensing deal with Activision ran out and Sony owns the rights to the movies, plus they are the most popular gaming company, so it makes sense.

There's no reason to believe Xbox will or should get an exclusive Marvel game. They might, but Nintendo might get an exclusive Star Wars game. Who knows.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I'm confused, is there a different Marvel Alliance I've missed? Because those are multiplatform and made by Activision.

Sony got a Spider-Man game because the licensing deal with Activision ran out and Sony owns the rights to the movies, plus they are the most popular gaming company, so it makes sense.

There's no reason to believe Xbox will or should get an exclusive Marvel game. They might, but Nintendo might get an exclusive Star Wars game. Who knows.
Nintendo already got Exclusive marvel ultima allience 3 game dude. Made by team ninja also includes xmen gotg all mcu etc original designs

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017

For yet another page in this thread, this is false.

So the story is 1000% true

Sony FP has the best pipeline and support system in the business to create big story-based games. Some people don't realize all of the support a publisher can give a developer, and that's true of every major publisher for every major game.

Marvel approached Sony, wanting them to do one of their characters right with a big first-party story game. They wanted to work with one of the developers Sony FP works with frequently, and even mentioned us by name to Sony as a developer who they felt particularly fit.

Sony approached us, we were interested (obv!), and they told us Marvel wanted us to pick which hero we most wanted to play with. We picked Spider-Man (obv!).

All real, all how it happened, no ties to any other deal or circumstance.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
For yet another page in this thread, this is false.

What about what I said was false? If memory serves, Activision no longer had the licensing rights to Spider-Man. Otherwise would Sony have had the ability to make a Spider-Man game?

And Sony owning the rights to the movies makes it pretty obvious what Marvel superhero game they would make.

I didn't say the only reason a Spider-Man happened is that, I said those are the main reasons why it happened and too a degree why it's exclusive.

Unless I'm wrong about something?

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017
What about what I said was false? If memory serves, Activision no longer had the licensing rights to Spider-Man. Otherwise would Sony wouldn't have had the ability to make a Spider-Man game?

And Sony owning the rights to the movies makes it pretty obvious what Marvel superhero game they would make.

I didn't say the only reason a Spider-Man happened is that, I said those are the reasons why it happened and too a degree why it's exclusive.

Unless I'm wrong about something?

The part I bolded is what I was referring to. The quote I provided explains how Marvel came to Sony who went to Insomniac who chose Spider-man. That quote is directly from Insomniac. It wasn't a matter of what Sony wanted to do. They didn't approach Marvel -- Marvel approached them, and it had nothing to do with Sony's film business, as the quote explains.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
The Switch has the smallest install base, I don't know why people keep bringing that up when it is false.
Lol, the Switch is about to pass up the xbox next year, bro. Sorry to break that news to ya.

Like imagine you getting to create your own X-Man in the vein of Pillars. Pillars 2 has an insanely flexible class system that could be worked into mutant powers.
That would actually be dope... but, Marvel isn't playing around with their IP anymore. No more shit that isn't going to sell. Good news is, they Want xbox to have an exclusive. One just as good as Spiderman.

Imo, MS should've had (bought? Lol) the Hulk: UD team and had a new Hulk: Ultimate Destruction 2 exclusive. Shit would've sold crazy.. on xbox