• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, but by ME3 they were getting a bit sloppy. Pretty much everything in ME1 makes sense and feels internally consistent... by ME3 they were just explaining everything away as "Reaper tech" with no further elaboration.

Let alone there were a shit tone of parts in ME3 that were inconsistent with the lore. Like that one mission where you have to pick up reaper tech even though reaper tech is known to indoctrinate people.

Oct 28, 2017
England
I think it's way more interesting to have this stuff be hidden away in books that are scattered all over the world just as it would be in real life, as opposed to some convenient centralized repository.

The idea of a convenient repository of information (that you can access at any time from a device you can store in your pocket) sounds equally similar to real life to me. It just depends on the setting as to whether it lends it's to good lore integration.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I like the Elder Scrolls method more. While yes I do dislike having to read tons of books for more exposition, I feel exactly how I would in real life. I find a book and I'm like "shit fuck reading it now, taking it with me for later". I put it in my book shelf and move on. Then one day read it when I get a chance. Mass Effect's codex was so machine-like and cold in its general presentation it didn't encourage me to read more. I get everything I needed to play the game and never really deep dove into it because it never seemed particularly welcoming.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I love Mass Effect but most of the lore to me feels "recent", as in the histories and events that shaped the various current societies and events don't seem to go all that far back. Also the choice to put Javik in a DLC was a pretty shady move.

For me probably the most integrated games when it comes to lore is Elder Scrolls and probably the best example is Morrowind. In every Elder Scrolls game if you choose to you can dive in to the lore and start piecing everything together. Very rarely do things happen in a vacuum. There are reams of lore to dig through which not only tell you about the world but give you better understanding of the events your characters find themselves in.

Destiny 1 also had pretty compelling lore but it never felt all too well integrated into the game.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect's world building is so good that despite ME3's ending, I think the fanbase would just forgive EA if they just picked a lane with that ending (or undid it and went another way) and continued to tell stories in that universe - just so we could get more stories in that universe.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
FFXII is still king for this one personally.

The lore in that game is not only extremely extensive, but it also serves as a bridge of sorts between the two other ivalice games that preceded it.

You can get lost in some pretty deep wormholes connecting the ivalice dots for that game- and much of it is "earned" by heading out on hunts and filling the bestiary.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Lore distribution in Elder Scrolls feels like the devs have more confidence in the audience. It's setup to let the player engage with it on their own schedule (like the user above said, you can read it right then or put the book in your pack for later). It's also scattered throughout the game so finding a story feels like an Easter-egg hunt, like you've discovered a little treasure. It also feels thematically authentic & natural to the world. You're not "exiting the game" to learn more about it, it's all right there in the world itself.

I also love how dense the world fiction is. How you can play any of the ES games and you'll catch references to locations, cultures, races, etc. for games that weren't even released yet (i.e. there's books about Skyrim people & places in Morrowind). It's crazy how it all folds back in on itself and the world remains consistent across all the titles.

ME lore codex kicks ass too.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Also, I feel like I should mention Control here.

It has the best world building I've seen in a game. To put it short, Control doesn't build its lore simply by using documents, but by how the player connects them. They are often talking to each other... and the world around them. Not to mention the characters and their dialogues.

Mass Effect is still my number 1 in terms of the finished product, but it could learn from Control's subtlety and elegance.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls does it better, the lore is part of the experience and the journey instead of being there just to add the world.

However Mass Effect's implementation is still top-tier

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Elders Scrolls, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. Those lore masters are all national treasures. Amazing world building all around. ME is good, but I could never pick it over the other two (and vice versa).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The way the lore was built up in the first game really grated on me. Just throwing nouns left and right, many times with no elaboration until later on. Game needed a lore codex.
Yep. Pillars 1 is a prime example of bad lore integration. I gave up trying to understand half way through. Just dropping nouns after nouns with little explanation.
I've been meaning to write a thread on this, but yeah. Pillars 1 expects too much out the player. It's overwhelming, and I'd argue it's not a great introduction.

Pillars 2? An immediate improvement in every way. It quickly changed my perspective of the universe from "just another Fantasy game" to one of my favourite universes/settings in games. It is such a big improvement over the first.

For me, Pillars 2 is the closest a game has got to scratching the same itch Mass Effect 1 gave.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Elders Scrolls, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. Those lore masters are all national treasures. Amazing world building all around. ME is good, but I could never pick it over the other two (and vice versa).

One of the reasons why im so excited about a new Dragon Age, the lore is about to get some crazy reveals.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its Destiny.

Every single aspect of gameplay in the game is explained in the lore. Respawn mechanics, abilities, even the player behaviour is taken into account in developing who Guardians are. Like, seriously, everything in the game is contemplated in the lore.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Its Destiny.

Every single aspect of gameplay in the game is explained in the lore. Respawn mechanics, abilities, even the player behaviour is taken into account in developing who Guardians are. Like, seriously, everything in the game is contemplated in the lore.

How is Destiny's lore well integrated? Its the complete opposite.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Tyranny and other RPGs with tool-tip lore pop-ups are the apex of lore integration. It lets them make much denser worlds without getting lost in the weeds explaining everything all the time.

CkghaPF.jpg

It's truly ingenious stuff that I'm surprised hadn't happened decades ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Having finished it recently, I think The Outer Worlds is a textbook example of how to do it even better than ME. The lore is more simple, yeah, but there is absolutely no need to read anything that doesn't come from gameplay.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really like how Witcher bestiary ties to its world lore and gameplay mechanics. But yeah, mass effect, especially first one is damn good at that

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
ME is great with it because the Codex fits so well into the universe and setting. It feels seamless to the experience and just makes sense in use. Plus the lore is really good, so you want to learn as much as you can.

As others have mentioned though I think DA went on to utilize its lore much more effectively in the long run. Tyranny's tooltip system is really fantastic too and was put to great use in Pillars 2 Deadfire and is the gold standard for these types of games though. Really makes it easy to include unique words, concepts and stuff into the game's dialogue and descriptions.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
My favorite way to deliver lore was this mural in Sonic & Knuckles, very powerful in a game that was already amazing for telling such an epic story without a single word.

hqdefault.jpg

Jan 4, 2018
Mass Effect's worldbuilding is incredible, even if it is kind of exposition heavy upon replay (Liara and Tali basically give you social studies courses as an icebreaker). I think Dead Space and Bioshock also do pretty good at weaving their lore into audio logs that feel more like short stories that wrap into the narrative rather than just info dumps to help make sense of things.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Its Destiny.

I think my favorite part about the Grimoire and some of the Lorebooks is that they delve into stories from different perspectives and different points of history

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I'd say Metroid Prime has my favorite lore integration, even if the lore itself isn't very deep or detailed

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
you don't need to ever open the codex to get into the lore of mass effect
There's a whole lot of lore in random conversations, planet descriptions, weapons, etc. Just standing around on the Citadel and listening to people talk is often very interesting. Even stuff like in-universe ads can tell you a lot.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I remember that I was amazed by ME1 fascinating sci fi universe.

These games truly deserve a remake in the next decades

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When excitement around the ME universe was at it's peak I was honestly more engaged and interested in the ME universe than I was in either the Star Wars or Star Trek universe. It was so incredibly rich, and well written. It felt believable and fascinating.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
The idea of a convenient repository of information (that you can access at any time from a device you can store in your pocket) sounds equally similar to real life to me. It just depends on the setting as to whether it lends it's to good lore integration.
But it's not like they put that in there to simulate the future internet, it's just a convenient way of feeding information to the player. Meanwhile one of the conceits of the Elder Scrolls series is that none of the objects you find in the world are there simply there for decoration, but actually exist as physically based models that can be picked up, examined, sold etc. And this naturally applies to any book as well.
It's not that I'm bagging on Mass Effect or anything, but the Elder Scrolls series is undeniably far more ambitious than any other game in this particular regard.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dragon Age lore is better. I absolutely love how they integrated
Fen'Harel

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that Horizon: Zero Dawn's implementation is probably the pinnacle to be matched. Superb world-building in a way that is contextualised in the game, taking advantage of the medium's unique selling point where it comes to narrative: environmental storytelling. The amount of old ruins I glacially combed through to pick up every little detail.

However, BioWare as a whole was excellent at this as well, and certainly ahead of their time. I don't doubt that they have inspired many developers to use similar techniques.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Absolutely. The fact that characters can have long conversations on the genophage and its moral complexities and you can not only follow along, but have strong thoughts on who to side with in those debates tells you everything you need to know about how effectively and convincingly Mass Effect sells its lore- and that's just one of many, many examples.

When you need to add an in-game encyclopedia, you've already failed at a game design element.
That's a completely optional additive that is by no means necessary to enjoy and understand the lore, or how excellently it's integrated in the story.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls and Dragon Age both do this really well. The lore is very much within the story.

In Dark Souls a great example is Artorias. If you pay attention to the lore, it makes the DLC even better, but it's interesting on its own just with what is in the base game with Sif. Dark Souls also does an incredible job of integrating the gameplay mechanics themselves into the story in such an elegant way. It's not just like "oh here is a mechanic and uhhh story stuff here is an explanation." It's elegantly woven into the rest of the story.

Dragon Age you the lore is like, lore within the world, which I like. Like the Thaigs and how the dwarves talk about their ancestors. You get to go see those be reality within the world.

I love how in Dragon Age they just have gobs of scripture, but I really doubt there is a full bible they have to refer to, so it's sometimes funny because you're like "I was sure I heard them reference that chapter before." If was a writer on Bioware's writing team I'd be terrified of stepping over a previously referenced passage or getting close to one but saying something utterly unrelated.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls and Dragon Age both do this really well. The lore is very much within the story.

In Dark Souls a great example is Artorias. If you pay attention to the lore, it makes the DLC even better, but it's interesting on its own just with what is in the base game with Sif. Dark Souls also does an incredible job of integrating the gameplay mechanics themselves into the story in such an elegant way. It's not just like "oh here is a mechanic and uhhh story stuff here is an explanation." It's elegantly woven into the rest of the story.

Dragon Age you the lore is like, lore within the world, which I like. Like the Thaigs and how the dwarves talk about their ancestors. You get to go see those be reality within the world.

I love how in Dragon Age they just have gobs of scripture, but I really doubt there is a full bible they have to refer to, so it's sometimes funny because you're like "I was sure I heard them reference that chapter before." If was a writer on Bioware's writing team I'd be terrified of stepping over a previously referenced passage or getting close to one but saying something utterly unrelated.

Dragon Age makes constant and exceptional use of unreliable narrator, to a degree I'm not sure is rivaled much in the gaming medium.

So many historical events in DA are told from multiple conflicting points of view, leaving it up to the player to piece together, only in some cases to be totally upended later in ways that manage to be completely congruent and sensible with the previous (incorrect) versions of events. The lore is just thickly layered, and in a way that maintains both relevancy to the ongoing narrative, as well as accessibility for the player. Someone said that DA's primary narrative as a series is the unraveling of the lore, and that's exactly right.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
For me, it was at one point the most engaging science fiction lore I'd come across in any media.

Then the dark days came

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I personally liked the lore in GOW ps4 . I also thought its form of integration were really cool with Mimir feeding you lore while hanging from your belt to the murals that I still see you tubers attempting to decipher.

The most recent video I saw went into comparing two murals to form a theory that modi was still alive and would turn against the aesir gods. It was one of the more convincing mural theories I have come across.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
There's a whole lot of lore in random conversations, planet descriptions, weapons, etc. Just standing around on the Citadel and listening to people talk is often very interesting. Even stuff like in-universe ads can tell you a lot.
I'm playing through the first Mass Effect right now and it's pretty impressive how dedicated the game is to building its world. I also like how the developers took ideas from classic science fiction and incorporated them in interesting ways. When Joker told his story, it was so familiar that my immediate thought was "you should get your bones taken and get artificial ones put in; it worked out for Miles". Honestly more games should do this rather than get all their inspiration from action films.

But it's not like they put that in there to simulate the future internet, it's just a convenient way of feeding information to the player. Meanwhile one of the conceits of the Elder Scrolls series is that none of the objects you find in the world are there simply there for decoration, but actually exist as physically based models that can be picked up, examined, sold etc. And this naturally applies to any book as well.
It's not that I'm bagging on Mass Effect or anything, but the Elder Scrolls series is undeniably far more ambitious than any other game in this particular regard.
I think it's done on purpose. The codex shares some similarities to the Galactic Library from the Uplift series, and Uplift is one of the biggest influences for Mass Effect.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age makes constant and exceptional use of unreliable narrator, to a degree I'm not sure is rivaled much in the gaming medium.

So many historical events in DA are told from multiple conflicting points of view, leaving it up to the player to piece together, only in some cases to be totally upended later in ways that manage to be completely congruent and sensible with the previous (incorrect) versions of events. The lore is just thickly layered, and in a way that maintains both relevancy to the ongoing narrative, as well as accessibility for the player. Someone said that DA's primary narrative as a series is the unraveling of the lore, and that's exactly right.

Yes! Yes! That's what I love about DA. It's wonderful to see how much the lore permeates the culture and language. It's really intelligently done.

I actually wish Dark Souls did a tiny bit more of this, although it does do it as well. Artorias is again a good example. There are some small conflicting things, and when people asked Miyazaki why the change he was like, well it isn't exactly a change. The legend of Artorias warped over time.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
The Mass Effect 1 codex is why Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the trilogy. The voice actor was amazing. I loved learning about all the races.

Voicing the codex adds so much value to it and makes it far more interesting.

Last edited:

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Mass Effect is from a book which is why it's written so well.
The tie-in novels were written as part of the Mass Effect project, but that's not where the ideas originated. That said, the lore of Mass Effect is influenced by a ton of science fiction novels and you can see all sorts of connections. David Brin's Uplift series plays along very similar lines, with humanity recently joining Galactic Civilization and being viewed skeptically by the members of Galactic Society. But there are all sorts of other works like Humanx Commonwealth and Heechee Saga and other stuff mixed in as well.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Best lore and best lore integration are two different things, and there seems to be a fair bit of people talking past each other on that front. As to the question in the title, obviously there's also a subjective aspect to what best lore integration means, as to some that may mean ~environmental storytelling~ (in particular, 0451s fall in this bucket) or From's style of "item descriptions as lore" approach to worldbuilding, because it's lore delivered as a result of player-initiated gameplay. But ME1 and DA:O (i.e., Bioware at a particular stage) both do a very good job of worldbuilding via the main narrative and pure character dialogue (as opposed to other avenues, since reading the codex is completely optional), which in my mind is better "integrated" in that it is worldbuilding that happens without the player going out of their way to find it. YMMV, I guess.