• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kid Icarus Uprising is the most ambitious game Nintendo has ever made, and it deserves all the attentionl. It's not perfect, but I absolutely loved it, and I wish it was made for a home console so that it could meet its full potential. The online multiplayer was also fantastic. The customization of your Weapons and Powers was really fun. Clubs are the best!

Last edited:

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Plus the sheer relentless variety of the game, every faction in the game had unique enemies (even one off ones like the space pirates and factions that were designed to copy others) with specific mechanics and they could in fight amongst themselves. And even when they reuse enemies and locations, it's almost always with some novel combination of enemy types, a small terrain gimmick or an AI and movement pattern change. The stages aren't actually that long on to themselves on the high difficulty many of them can be completed in 20 minutes or less except for some notable exceptions like chapter 9 which so wholly sells the final battle structurally (it's almost twice the length of other stages, has boss refights and reused locations with new enemy layouts, the build up is massive with the arming of weapons you went out of your way for) that if the game ended there I'm sure most people would have accepted it.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I hope Ultimate is Sakurai's last Smash Bros game, so he can go on and pursue more projects like this (and Meteos).

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game, barring on great, but the flying sections don't hold up that well on replays, and on foot levels are great at cramping with how much work you do constantly with your pointer finger and thumb very close to each other.
Also anyone remember that controller attachment? Was it compatible with this game?
Think it just let left-handed people use analog movement rather than digital movement through the buttons.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone use that weird ass stand?
Nope. I propped the 3DS up with my pinky finger instead. LOL

The controls really are the biggest barrier, which is why I wish it was on a home console, but the game has so much potential that I always recommend people at least try it.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Plus the sheer relentless variety of the game, every faction in the game had unique enemies (even one off ones like the space pirates and factions that were designed to copy others) with specific mechanics and they could in fight amongst themselves. And even when they reuse enemies and locations, it's almost always with some novel combination of enemy types, a small terrain gimmick or an AI and movement pattern change. The stages aren't actually that long on to themselves on the high difficulty many of them can be completed in 20 minutes or less except for some notable exceptions like chapter 9 which so wholly sells the final battle structurally (it's almost twice the length of other stages, has boss refights and reused locations with new enemy layouts, the build up is massive with the arming of weapons you went out of your way for) that if the game ended there I'm sure most people would have accepted it.
Isn't that the point where Hades literally rips through the credits.

Such a great moment.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
This game would have been perfect on something like the Wii but they went too far and made it for the 3DS.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Would have loved to play this, but as a left-handed person it's literally impossible to do so.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I never had a problem with the controls. I'd stabilize the 3DS by putting my pinky behind the hinge and move the stylus using my thumb and index finger to move the stylus instead of using my whole wrist to move it.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I recommend checking out GameXplain's GameClub sessions (like a book club) where they all played this game together and put out weekly videos to share their experience.

Sep 14, 2019
I love this game! Seriously, I think it's my favorite 3DS game.

After I tweaked the controls a bit (I believe I used the face buttons as a second "circle pad"), it worked great! Didn't really have issues with the controls after that.

Also, I think you can lock on to enemies, no? I think that's what also helped with the controls.

I remember the feeling of disappointment when I started playing the game with the crappy controls. "I can't play this game..." but like I said, once I tweaked the controls, it was freaking awesome!

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wow the reactions in this thread are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

I am in camp masterpiece. I can still remember when I played this game and being amazed at how good it was. I was shocked at how good it was when I finished the game. Just everything about it is so good.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
always wanted to play it but the control horror stories scared me off. maybe i'll buy an old copy on a lark some day

kind of strange it came and went as a franchise resurrection that (i guess?) sold okay or at least got critical acclaim

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Still by far my favorite handheld game ever made, can't believe how lengthy and full of constant novel ideas the game was. Found a comfortable position pretty quickly but understand those who didn't want to bother(it was so worth it tho)

Stop making smash games pleaseeeeee Sakurari

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
As a left-handed person, it was a nightmare control-wise. I had to get a Circle Pad Pro just to play the game. And even then the game's support for it was incredibly minimal (as it had just released like a month before).

The game itself is nice, but those controls really soured the experience.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It would be so awesome with pointer controls...

Probably my favorite 3ds game and definitely among my top ten of all time.

Difficulty system is the most awesome I've seen in a game, replayability is infinite. I spent around 180 on that game and barely touched multiplayer...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I found it near impossible to play without my wrists aching as a left-hander. The alternate scheme allowing use of the buttons rather than stylus to aim was a poor makeshift fix too, sacrificing the immediacy and dexterity of a pen in order to make a high-score shooter workable with what was available. That's on top of the already laughable jury-rig solution of packaging the stand in as a last-minute attempt.

Art direction, characters and concept were were cool, I've liked KI since the NES/GB games and loved seeing the endgame shooter aspect of a powered up Pitt made into something like this. I'd be up to try again if the controls were reimagined/remapped.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a lot of fun when playing the flight missions, but absolutely hated it when you were on the ground and dropped it.

Mine didn't come with a stand, but I was able to get one from the Nintendo online store for like 3 or 4 bucks (and another 2 or 3 for the AR cards).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It has a LOT of great ideas (weapon crafting/building, the difficulty setting changing routes, etc) but the controls always felt like a pain.

It's funny because there's actually just 1 thing I didn't like about the controls: Sprinting/Running (maybe dodge too, I forget if it was used for that).

Instead of using the analog stick like an analog stick and just running when it's pushed forward all the way, you have to SMASH the analog stick in a direction to sprint (like doing a Smash attack in Smash Bros).

Because it's such a hectic game of trying to avoid attacks and enemies, you do the analog stick Smash ALL THE TIME.
Unlike Smash Bros it doesn't feel good or satisfying to be doing that action just to run faster.

I don't know if Kid Icarus ever got New 3DS support, but if they made it possible to remap the sprint/run mechanic to one of the extra shoulder buttons it would have made a big improvement.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This game and Star Fox: Zero require some future technology that doesn't exist yet in order to properly control

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Great game, but you risk developing carpal tunnel while playing it so it's hard for me to personally recommend.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm lefty - the stand for me was mandatory.

I still think that it was originally a Wii project using wiimote (for aim) & nunchuck (for move), and when moved to 3DS Sakurai was set to kept the same type of controls.

Seriously, the game is great but it's hampered by these baffling design choice - like that Pit trots instead of walking in the foot levels.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Uprising is one of my favorite games. The controls make you very powerful in whatever direction the camera is facing, and they also let you quickly and accurately reposition the camera, but they inherently cannot let you do both in the same motion. This results in a hectic style of gameplay that I have never seen before or since. Combine that playstyle with the excellent variety of weapons, the expansive story content, the power system, and the equally hectic multiplayer, and you end up with something very special. I played this game to death.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Fantastic game and one of the best of this generation, a shame it'll probably never get a sequel, even 25 years later.

Also, is 8 years "retro?" lol

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the minority here that loved the controls of this game. Playing it while in my teens helped for sure.

My fav game on the 3DS and I think it was perfect for what it was.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Crazy that this game hasn't gotten a Switch sequel, it seems like a great candidate for one

I guess Sakurai's tied up with Smash Bros forever, but they could always get someone else to direct it. I've pretty much accepted that all of Sakurai's other projects aren't coming back, though, because of the insane development cycles for Smash

(I miss Meteos)

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
As a left handed person I never found the game too hard to play. I did have to use my right hand thumb for the touch screen instead of a stylus though which didn't really bother me too much. I loved the game. Writing is some of the funnest things I've seen in a game, and it had sooo much content!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
If they rereleased it with a better control scheme it would be decent.
As is, it just kinda sucks.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Really want this game but I missed out buying the physical version when it was readily available. Hoping to come across it at a decent price one of these days so I can try it out.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of my favourite games, period. It's a shame that we probably won't get a sequel by Sakurai. Was glad for the stand when I had an XL but didn't need it anymore when I downsized.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I dont remember the controls being all that bothersome but I do remember the game just being kinda boring and not that good.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game was great, but there was no way to play it for more than like an hour without having my hand cramp up very badly and I think the controls would have been 10x better on the Wii. The amount of things packed into the game and production values as a 3ds title though were quite good and Sakurai should get another shot at making a non Smash game.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
One of the best the 3DS has to offer
Stylus controls are perfect for that game.
Not having watched the video yet, I really wonder if they could really implement the stylus-flick based camera without some sort of pointer system. They'd need one anyways for attacking, so I guess they could go the Captain Toad route, but I don't know how accurate that was. You'd also need to take into consideration the Lite users, but at least there you can usee the touchscreen.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Game holds up, my 3DS's circle pad didn't, land battles are better than the air battles.

I still think that it was originally a Wii project using wiimote (for aim) & nunchuck (for move), and when moved to 3DS Sakurai was set to kept the same type of controls.

The stylus flicking produces camera and reticle movements that are significantly different from what you get with pointer controls. The enemy and level designs in Kid Icarus: Uprising wouldn't be what they are if the game had started on Wii. Nevermind how Iwata specifically asked Sakurai to make a game for 3DS that would showcase the new hardware and so Sakurai, being Sakurai, came up with ways to use every unique feature the system had.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Not having watched the video yet, I really wonder if they could really implement the stylus-flick based camera without some sort of pointer system. They'd need one anyways for attacking, so I guess they could go the Captain Toad route, but I don't know how accurate that was. You'd also need to take into consideration the Lite users, but at least there you can usee the touchscreen.
The only way I thought to implement it would be to have maybe a button like ZR ... and motion control to where you push ZR and rotate and let go and the momentum of the camera spins around... but as for aiming... who knows...

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The controls meant it was never good. They even had an accessory to fix them too, but chose to use it in the worst way possible.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also anyone remember that controller attachment? Was it compatible with this game?
The Circle Pad Pro, yes it was compatible and could have fixed all the control issues.

Instead Nintendo used it to swap left/right handed play only. Still had to use the stylus, only now the other circle pad was used instead, and now with a bulky accessory to hold in addition.