• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you surprised?

• Nah, this was obviously the only result from even before the games came out.

Votes: 761 51.3%
  • Nah, Luigi's Mansion is just the better game, so it sold more.

Votes: 489 33.0%
  • Yes, regardless of why, this result is surprising.

Votes: 232 15.7%

• Total voters
Nov 8, 2017
Yes, and no. Nintendo magic is something. Kojima magic should also be something. For me, Death Stranding hit all the same MGS notes. But most don't agree.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I don't see why I would be surprised.

Mario spin-off vs. new IP made by Kojima. Ask your average gamer if they know Mario and if they know Kojima, and I'd bet more people say they know Mario.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
One was a sequel on a very popular platform, the other was not.

I think folks often confuse quality with sales, which is, obviously, only loosely coorelated.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
It was the better game, and by far the most fun experience between the two. So I wasn't shocked. Heck, it even outsold its predecessor by large amounts.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
One was a sequel on a very popular platform, the other was not.

I think folks often confuse quality with sales, which is, obviously, only loosely coorelated.

Ehhhh I wouldn't even say they confuse quality with sales. The majority of the gaming press considers LM3 to be the superior game.

I think it's that this forum often confuses graphics, presentation and cinematics with sales potential. So many people were hyped for Death Stranding before anyone had the slightest idea of how the game would play.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Anyone sho's played Luigi's Mansion 3: "You should play this. I guarantee you will love it"

Anyone who's played Death Stranding: "It's a weird game. You might like it or you might hate it"

No, it is not surprising in the least who sold more. Lots of people who bought Death Stranding regret it. A big portion of the sales were due to the mistaken belief that this would be akin to the MGS series.

People regretting getting Luigi's… very, very few.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I already said it was an opinion disconnected from both the game or the brand. I don't know what in this message made you believe that was my line of thought.
or, the audience at large have different standards of quality.
That's the point: when everybody has its own notion of what's good, any pretence that quality is a key factor for commercial success becomes (again, my opinion) hard to sustain. To suggest that product A sold more than product B because of its "objective" "quality" is a narrow simplification at best.

Being "good" didn't hurt any product, but it amounts to little considering all the things that can ruin a release.

OP
OP
cyrribrae

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Initially I voted no because I was not at all surprised Luigi's Mansion has done very well and sold a lot of copies.. then I changed it to no, because it's a better game. Then I changed it to yes. DS sold a lot worse than I could have imagined and so I *AM* surprised it sold double specifically. I really thought DS would be a huge hit and then it came out and just wasn't very fun to play or particularly compelling.
haha thank you!! While it's not surprising that many people don't seem to read the OP, it is surprising that people aren't even reading the title haha. It's funny that the original poll was 60% in favor of Death Stranding. Whereas today, 85% of Resetera think it's unsurprising that Luigi's Mansion sold DOUBLE the copies, which is of course the question. I'm sure even some of the people who voted Luigi in the original poll would be surprised there. But not now ;)

A simple "yes" or "no" option would work wonders for these polls.
You may be right. But, I'm getting a lot of interesting chatter between people who think quality mattered in the end or if it was just "Nintendo". A pretty stark divide in opinion there. Probably could have worded it better though.

It was a stupid and childish comparison back then, stirring the pot doesn't make it any better.
:( I don't understand these aggressive responses haha. I feel like I'm being called out for scaring someone's puppy, and all I did was find an oldthread that didn't age well in a fun way IMO..

I'm sorry to have failed you all T_T

Also, seeing some "console wars" accusations floating around.. what? No one in this thread has said anything bad about Switch or PS4. No one has staked their honor on the success of either game or even either company as a whole.. Iono. It's not a console war thing to compare two of the most hyped 1st party releases of that year, both releasing around the same time. Ya'll know the box office rankings compares all movies in one list, regardless of their genre and rating, right?