• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There's been a lot of talk about the next SSB being a reboot and cutting a lot of characters, but what would be the point?

The gameplay isn't stale, boring or broken.

Everybody loves it and it's smashes the sales charts every time.

It'd result in a lot of favourites cut and controversial opinions.

All for what?

I say the next SSB builds on Ultimate and see how far we can get the roster numbers. It's already insane but imagine if it went bigger. I feel like the roster is the most hype thing about Smash and as long as it continues building it will truly be a beast like no other. Nothing could compete with it.

And how exactly would they reboot it anyway? Totally scrap the well loved fighting mechanics?

BIG BENGHAZI

Nov 29, 2018
I'm doubtful there will be another Smash game at all. If they do Sakurai shouldn't be at the head because that poor man needs some rest.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
At some point they have to start cutting characters because the roster size of 100+ or whatever just isn't feasible.

You can't balance a cast like that without it being a massive drain on resources, having to tweak models and animations for everyone seems like a nightmare, etc.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a small handful of Nintendo characters who aren't in yet how the fuck can the roster even expand beyond what it is?

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
This is already built on from a Wii U game, in 8 years or so it will be stare, and without a doubt dated looking.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Up the roster numbers just cause?
Pass.
Id be fine with ultimate being the finale or at least being it for a good while

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The question that gets overlooked is what would a smash bros reboot even look like?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine on top of all the work so many characters would require, the rights for all those licenses would be a giant pain to reaquire. It will absolutely need "rebooted" in whatever may come next.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure an overhauled fighting system would still be Smash, and that's the only reason I can think of for a reboot.

Oct 28, 2017
Unless the next smash is completely different, like Power Stone or some such then I don't think we need another one anytime soon if ever.

Nintendo Vs Capcom however....

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
As a more casual Smash fan I'm not interested in a game that offers "less". Literally the only thing I want from Smash is more characters and more stages. If the next game offers less, I'll be sticking with Ultimate.

I'm doubtful there will be another Smash game at all

Ultimate has sold 5 million copies in less than a week. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a Smash 6. I think it's years away, but Nintendo is a business and there's money to be made.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine on top of all the work so many characters would require, the rights for all those licenses would be a giant pain to reaquire. It will absolutely need "rebooted" in whatever may come next.
You replace the ones you can't keep with similar Nintendo characters from lesser known series that wouldn't otherwise be getting in.

It's what I wanted them to do with Snake's moveset before Everyone is Here. Replace him with Sami.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What do people want out of a reboot? Completely new gameplay? I'd be down with a 3D brawler but that seems like it could just be a new franchise.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While I am very much enjoying the game it does have the same feel as the previous Smash with slight improvements.

I would like a reboot and rework the fighting system. The known systems like stock, edge guard, shield and others I am missing should be there in some form but there should be major additions and changes that shake the core gameplay.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine with total overhauls of select veterans rather than a total reboot and I also think that's likely. Maybe add them as a newcomer and keep the old version as a veteran and split them by naming them depending on what game they originate from, like the Link variants.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They could overhaul individual characters while keeping the core gameplay the same.

I would be 100% down for a top to bottom Samus rework.
This is what I'm expecting. Characters like Mario & Samus are long overdue for a rework, & making this widespread would be a great way to capitalize on working on Smash from the ground-up.

BIG BENGHAZI

Nov 29, 2018
Ultimate has sold 5 million copies in less than a week. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a Smash 6. I think it's years away, but Nintendo is a business and there's money to be made.

Yeah, you're probably right. With the finality of having Ultimate in the name and bringing back all the characters and stages from previous games made me feel like this was the end of the franchise. Anything beyond this point would feel weird. For me anyway.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least 25% of the roster should be cut for the next game and thats a start. But the next Smash should definitely keep all the stages and music if possible.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Pass.
Yea agreed with this.

It's a beautiful send off. Hopefully the next one is a ways off and tries something completely different, just keep porting Ultimate over to whatever devices they create as well just to have that there for people that want that.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What do people want out of a reboot? Completely new gameplay? I'd be down with a 3D brawler but that seems like it could just be a new franchise.
I see "reboot" as how Street Fighter usually starts from zero for each numbered game. It'd basically be a Smash game that scraps all previous assets & starts from scratch.

I'm fine with total overhauls of select veterans rather than a total reboot and I also think that's likely. Maybe add them as a newcomer and keep the old version as a veteran and split them by naming them depending on what game they originate from, like the Link variants.
This is what I was hoping they'd do for Mario & Link now that we have Dr. Mario & Young Link. I mean, Dr. Mario kinda does this since he has Mario's old Down-B, but I was hoping that they'd get more crazy with BotW Link.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of a small handful of Nintendo characters who aren't in yet how the fuck can the roster even expand beyond what it is?

There are thousands upon thousands of characters that could be added. Everything from Dixie Kong to Rhythm Kids, from Geno to Krystal, from Master Chief to B-K, from Monster Hunter to Alucard, from Rayman to Ezio. Finding newcomers, first- or third-party, isn't the issue here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Rebooting fighting games usually amounts to changing the view. Idk if a 3d view smash would work

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
People say that the game needs an overhaul but it never explains what it needs to change.

To start any change to 3D (Power Stone style) would be terrible.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I think when people want a "reboot" they more mean "keep the same gameplay style, but all the stages are brand new and the characters movesets are redone from scratch"

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Pass.
Yea agreed with this.

It's a beautiful send off. Hopefully the next one is a ways off and tries something completely different, just keep porting Ultimate over to whatever devices they create as well just to have that there for people that want that.
So basically you guys want Smash as we know it to end at Ultimate? We all know that's not gonna happen, especially considering how much money Smash makes.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The one real improvement I have wanted them to make for a long time? Proper loadouts. Customs were a half-measure. I don't want variants of the same moves. I want each special to be have options for different relevant abilities with similar, though not the same, utility.

I'd buy a reboot with a greatly reduced roster for that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see "reboot" as how Street Fighter usually starts from zero for each numbered game. It'd basically be a Smash game that scraps all previous assets & starts from scratch.
Oh. That sounds less like a reboot and more like a new entry in a video game franchise. They should clearly create new assets when they have new gen hardware.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Any rework idea that involves significantly changing up gameplay or removing clones or adding story cutscenes is a pipedream at best. The second point is especially egregious when the whole point of Echo Fighters was to rebrand clones as meaningful additions. Even moveset revamps don't call for too much attention, as the likes of new Link and PT can attest to.

The only thing that makes sense is limitations from needing to migrate to a new engine or in finding a new director that has no problem going a completely different direction than Sakurai.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh. That sounds less like a reboot and more like a new entry in a video game franchise. They should clearly create new assets when they have new gen hardware.
The way I see it, starting from scratch gives you the opportunity to rework the veterans, as we've seen in Street Fighter between numbered entries.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They shouldn't 'reboot it' unless they want to tank it. There is no real way to change the formula without alienating fans, and if reboot is code for, butcher the roster, then no.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think a reboot would be a bad idea in the sense most people are talking to. Significantly reworking the whole combat (even potentially getting rid of the "knock them out of the ring is the goal" mechanic) would be a horrible idea because it wouldn't be Smash. Smash is known for that being the gameplay.

The other aspect I see a lot of talk in is gutting the roster, and I think this would be suicidal for the franchise. Often this talk consists of ideas such as cutting all Fire Emblem characters except Marth, cutting third party characters, cutting all Zelda characters except Link and Zelda, cutting Lucas, cutting all Pokemon except Pikachu and Jigglypuff (the original 12 would be safe, so that's why Jigglypuff would stay theoretically), cutting Zero Suit Samus and Dark Samus, etc. It boils down to cutting all the characters of a franchise but the "major" ones. So for Mario, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser would reasonably be safe, while Bowser Jr., Daisy, and Rosalina would get the boot. Smash lives and dies by it's roster. It's a game about characters from many different franchises fighting. The roster has built up and up over every single game. While Brawl and Smash For had cuts, they still went in an upward direction with their rosters overall. People complain about the number of Fire Emblem characters in Smash, but I guarantee you if Robin, Corrin, and Ike were cut, people would riot. Those three in particular all bring something unique to the game.

Any Smash game with a gutted roster would be seen as an inferior game. It doesn't matter if the game were to somehow do 1-to-1 Melee physics and mechanics, it would still be seen as a worse game because of the roster. I don't think "Everyone is here!" will realistically happen again, like Sakurai said. Some cuts would most certainly have to be made in a future game, but a gutting of the roster for a "reboot" is a terrible idea.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I enjoy the excess of modern Smash but I would be interested in seeing a lot of the older series mainstays (Link, Samus, Mario, Luigi, Ganondorf, Kirby, etc) reimagined with movesets as creative and interesting as the Smash 4/Ultimate newcomers. That's really only feasible in a reboot as they just don't have the time to give, for example, Link a brand new BotW focused moveset while also developing 80 other characters. It would also be a great opportunity to trim the fat of some franchises like FE or Zelda (Young/Toon Link), allowing them to add new reps for these franchises with greater moveset diversity without bloating out the roster even further.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The one real improvement I have wanted them to make for a long time? Proper loadouts. Customs were a half-measure. I don't want variants of the same moves. I want each special to be have options for different relevant abilities with similar, though not the same, utility.

I'd buy a reboot with a greatly reduced roster for that.
To use an example:

Fludd shouldn't be Mario's vB. It should be an option for his neutral along with fireball, cap toss, and hammer toss.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
People think it'll be a reboot because this last one set a precedent that many think can't be topped. I personally just want them to keep building upon Ultimate.