• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
No but I do sometimes think about how significant people in my life that died early(my dad and grandma when I was around 20) if I live to 70 will have been dead for over 50 years

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Even the most famous people in history will be forgotten soon enough. It takes a bit longer but it will happen.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I tend to think people who care this much about their legacy have a complex.

It's one of the most freeing things to not worry about it.

Oct 29, 2017
This seems like an awful way to think about ones life's worth. There's human beings that live beyond 80 years. My grandmother was 93 when she died and she is immediately remembered by her great grandchildren. Now their great grandchildren wil not remember her, but their essence of their being will somehow could be impacted. That's the code I live by until extinction.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Eh, it's whatever.

It's not about having a timeless legacy, it's more about treating people right and doing the small things to enhance you and everyone's life around you in little ways. You'd be surprised how many people don't even care about their own family history, so there's really no reason to worry about it because no one cares, not even your own family in the future most likely.

I can see where you're coming from though, like you can have amazing parents who raised you right and did everything for you and yet 100 years from now it's as if they never existed, so it can be a little depressing to ponder, but only because of your personal attachment to them in the here and now.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it kinda bothers me. I wish there was a way to leave something of myself behind to help those in future generations.

It also doesn't help that the medication I'm taking seems to give me random night terrors about dying and non existence. It's not cool, brain.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Feels like no one gives a shit now but that might be the deep depression talking. I'll be dead and returned to the great will.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminds me of the story of Herostratus:

Herostratus (Ancient Greek: Ἡρόστρατος) was a 4th-century BC Greek arsonist, who sought notoriety by destroying the second Temple of Artemis in Ephesus (on the outskirts of present-day Selçuk). His acts prompted the creation of a damnatio memoriae law forbidding anyone to mention his name, orally or in writing. The law was ultimately ineffective, as evidenced by mentions of his existence in modern works and parlance. Thus, Herostratus has become a metonym for someone who commits a criminal act in order to become famous.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
No, not really. I think of death as going to sleep, won't worry about being remembered, more like the long journey is over time to rest.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Not really, but I do take great solace in the fact that my name is in the credits of various video games, so at least there'll be some proof that I existed and made something (that probably won't be curated, lol).

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
It's kind of comforting to know that, OP.

It's part of why I love the hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy's style of nihilism. It really is one of the things that helps me deal with depression.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't particularly close with great grandparents on either side. I haven't seen my grandfather on one side in 18 years. My grandmother from that same side died when I was 5. Grandfather on the other side died 7 years ago. I do talk to my grandmother though.

Point I'm making is that I don't expect much after my kids grow up and move out to live on their own, raising families if they choose to. I'm 100% okay with being forgotten at some point. I don't care if my life is meaningless in the long run, because it will have been meaningful for me while alive.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I really do not care about the remembrance of my existence be it 1 month or 10.000 years after my death.

My dead self will have no concept of time - I care about me being actually alive.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
In the UK I believe that your grave space is only legally yours (unless family members object) for 400 years.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
No. We have pictures and video in the rare case that any of these future people decides to take notice of me post-death.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
No...doesn't bother me in the least. Perfectly fine with being one of the billions that was here for a tiny speck of time and gone just as quick. Even those who made the most profound impact on human history are just a tiny speck in the grand scheme of things. Just get through your life and try not to be a cunt...have some fun along the way, and you're golden. Think of all the absolute cunts we see on social media and in the news...we're already better than all those assholes, just by default. Anything else we do is a bonus. Some of us cure diseases that impact millions and save lives, some of us are just there to show a single small kindness to a stranger that makes said stranger's day...both impacts are valid and worthwhile.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Was talking about this quite recently. I was a graveyard with my wife and as you walk through the grounds you go from newly decesed to ones that passed many years ago. At first you can clearly see placed flowers, cards and other tokens with well kept headstones, but as you get to the far end to those that died many years ago the flowers are non existent and some of the headstones are in such a state that you cant make out the messages or names written on them with some smashed and broken into a pile of rocks.

It's kinda sad, but no matter what your beliefs i dont think it matters once your gone.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No one cares now, no one will care then.

Just about when I decide to end it I guess, so that's comforting.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Family and friends forgetting about me 80 years after I die would be awesome, since that would mean my friends and family would live for at least 80 years after I died.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
It scares the shit out of me. Death is literally the scariest concept. I wish i were religious so i had an easier answer and my fears could go away.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Nope because it's not like I'd be alone in being not remembered, millions-billions of us won't be. Plus, it makes me appreciate the crazy amount of people that have been involved into making this specific moment possible. Every object on my desk had to have hundreds or thousands of people involved to actually exist.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I don't care if people remember me. The thing I'm having trouble with lately is knowing I have to watch so many people I love pass away.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
I want to be remembered, and hopefully some day revered, while alive. I have no use for that when I am dead especially if there is no achievement of mine to remember.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nope, doesn't bother me. The future generations have their own lives to lead, their own loves to find and their own passions to follow. That makes me happy.

Plus organs going to science so a part of me could have an impact in another family, and they might be remembered. That's chill as far as I'm concerned.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
A little, but it very low on my priorities of things to worry about.

Only thing I can think of to make sure I'm remembered if I care enough to go through with it, is making sure I leave something of value behind I know my heirs would appreciate and ensure it is passed on with the details/stories that comes with it.

Beyond that I will be dead and I can only hope my genes live on in hopefully a better future I could ever imagine to live in.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually there will be no Earth, no Terrans, and no life in existence to even miss anything.

But if you blow up the moon people will remember you for at least 100 years. After that, "Earth had a moon?!"