• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
We're nearly 8 billion strong. Why should they remember me amid all that? And those people 80 years later are in the middle of their own lives.

I just hope to do some good before I go.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I won't be forgotten. I'll be remembered through MN9's credits! I'm a part of history.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really no, infact it gives me more reason to make the most of what I have now, and leave as many positive impressions with the people I interact with in the present, since I could be making a relevant difference to their lives and interactions today, even if it isn't stuff that'll be remembered decades from now.

Point is, it doesn't matter if the things you do aren't remembered decades from after you're dead, so long as they made a difference or positive impact in the present. And I don't mean positive as in you cured cancer or changed the world, but even small things like taking the time to talk to your cashier at the supermarket, and asking them about their day or their lives or whatever, eg showing a bit of care or interest. Even small acts like that can make a difference, even if they won't be spoken of in the history books.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care what people think/remember about me if I never met them. I want to leave an impact on the people I'm here with now.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
So what? No one will remember anything in billions of years either. For a person, the world starts when they are born and ends when they die, it's good to want to contribute to humanity and leave your mark but bothering about these notions is like bothering about all the injustice going on everywhere everday, you'd literally have to be mad at pretty much everybody always, yourself included.

Human life and experience only has meaning whithin society, the culture you live in, the people you live with an spend time with, the things you love to do, those are the things you should pay attention to and try to make the most of while you can because our time alive is laughably short and no matter what you believe in, the fact is that this time, this life, this experience as a person is unique and it's not going to repeat itself. So I personally don't care, I'd rather my descendants be busy with all of the above than reminiscing about me.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I'd be comforted by the idea that people would remember me even if I did do something special to earn it, tbh.

Like, if I were albert einstein, the fast majority of people would just use me as a 'super smart guy' archtype and otherwise make fun of my hair. That's what people actually remember, in pop culture.

Some greater devotees know some details of Einstein's life, like his rivalry with Tesla and whatnot, but that's it. Either way, nobody would actually know me like no one truly knows Einstein on that personal, human level, you know?

But the actual legacy would be the physics that people have built their understanding of the world on. But then again, if Einstein hadn't existed and didn't discover relativity, someone else would have done so eventually.

I'm sure I want some kind of legacy to mark the fact that I was here, but I don't think I'm overly concerned whether people attribute that legacy to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure, if you discover a new branch of mathematics or were a civil rights icon or something people will remember you. OK.

But I'm talking about the other 99.999%+ of us out there. Kids generally know and love their parents. Grand kids do as well in many cases. There's not too many people very close to there great grandparents and you can forget about it after that. So in reality 80 years after you die, your hopes, your dreams, your achievements, your grand ideas about the world wouldn't have amounted to shit. You made no impact. Outside of your progeny. (Maybe that's why we (collectively) have such a strong desire to have kids.)

Does that thought ever cross your mind? Does it bother you at all? Don't care?

Show us your real account

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see I'm in good company of not being loved, cared about or remembered in this thread. No one knows I exist now, tomorrow, or 80 years from now.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
It bothers me in the same way the thought of not existing bothers me. I know I obviously won't care that I stopped existing, but it's a thought that always fills me with extreme apprehension. Even now I can feel my heart rate accelerating just typing this lol

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I'll be dead and won't have kids. All I give a shit about at this point is if the people I care about, care about me. As long as that's a positive, I'm doing something right

Everyone lives. Everyone dies. Most of us don't get remembered. I'll save my deserved worrying/sympathies for the other animals and organisms, most of whom get hunted (deer), eaten (cows), squished (bugs) or hunted+eaten+have their entire habitats destroyed (fish), who it's actually worse out there for because of us

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I thought. But after I faked my own death (long story), I found that I wasn't entirely correct. My nephew still posts RIP on his Facebook every year on the anniversary of my apparent demise.

Of course, his mom (aka my sister) doesn't give a shit. Still, she raised a good kid. Somehow.
Why don't we wheel that back to the part where you faked your death and go into a bit more detail there.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I won't give a shit about the people that are alive 80 years after I'm dead, either, so it would feel hypocritical to be bothered by it.

Apr 24, 2018
About myself, it absolutely doesn't matter. I definitely want my parents' legacies to be preserved/remembered as long as possible, though.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
No. Even if I got like a statue made of me, those future people won't know me, they'll just know some factoid about me. I can connect with the people in my life right now in a way that much more meaningful than being future trivia.

BobZhn

Nov 17, 2017
SE Asia
Nope. May the ecosystem find better use for this collection of molecules.

I, while here, hopefully be able to leave less shit for others to clean up.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
No, to be bothered by it is just a problem of the ego. It's just what being a living being is, part of the cycle.
This is a single planet among a never ending universe of them. By living you already played your role in it, imo.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think about this a lot actually, OP. And it causes me a lot of existential dread.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it does so I'll make sure I write a book. I guess most of the shit-tier literature and art is due to talentless people wanting to 'leave something behind', to be remembered for something, anything.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe your descendants will be important. You never know.

I have the same feelings as I do most of my creative work...

I generate a ton of content for our studio that gets consumed and immediately forgotten. No one is framing my social media post or watching a livestream I produced from six years ago.

At best I'm a disembodied voice that becomes part of some future kid's school project on popular games in the 2010s.
24 hours after release: "Yo, this game only had 400 levels? When's the next content drop? Lazy devs."

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
"At this point in my career, I could go out with a grand, 21-gun salute, and climb into a rocket and the entire Supreme Court walks out and they jointly press a button, I'm shot up into the air and there's an explosion and it's orange and it spells, "Good night and God love." In this culture? Two years later, it's going to be, who's Conan? This is going to sound grim, but eventually, all our graves go unattended."

Conan O'Brien

Just make it count now. I think it IS disturbing to think about...but uh, I guess it won't matter to me...cuz I'll be dead. :D

:)

:|

:(

What's crazy is that it'll even happen to people now that it would be unfathomable to think about.

1000 years from now, nobody will care about Clinton, Obama, Trump, etc.

There's what? A few dozen non-Biblical figures from antiquity that are household names? Several thousand years of history and people remember maybe 20?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I work for an awards company, and even though nobody knows me or that I made the awards, it's neat to know that so many things I've produced is in the homes and offices of hundreds, if not thousands of people out in the world.

Plus I did some movie props, so there's more things that are in a few dozen movies out there that I had my hands on.

I thought that's pretty neat.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, might not be true. I was looking into my family tree cause I'm a dumb nerd and I found out my great-great grandfather beat my great-grandfather and his siblings with a literal whip.

Literally the only thing he's remembered for by one of the few living people who know of him. Is that worse than being forgotten?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The ways you affect other people carry all the way down the line. You shape other people just by being around them, who in turn use your affect on them to shape others. Your name and identity might be forgotten, but your impact on others won't.

Passing the torch is more than just having kids or whatever. Or even being remembered or leaving a material legacy.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I don't really get this line of thinking.

Maybe nobody will remember me. So what? That doesn't mean I had no impact. If I do something good today, and that helps someone else or makes them happy, even if it didn't change the world or get me a wikipedia page - or hell, even if I don't know about it - it still made an impact. It still made a difference.

Thinking that you made no impact in the world just because time is a thing strikes me as disturbingly small-minded.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care about other people not caring about me, but I hate that I'm not existing anymore one day

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't bother me any more than it gives me more freedom in how I view my life. Like, I'm halfway through or less at 41. Nothing matters in the end, not your debt, your credit score, what you own, where you've been, how much money you made, who you fucked, what kids you made, etc. You just sort of exist and know that you're this weird experience on a planet in a universe of billions of other planets so you might as well do whatever the fuck you want whenever you want and leave it all on the field.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Nah. I have a similar opinion on this as I do my own funeral. I'll be dead. Who gives a shit? Dump my body in a ditch and let nature reclaim it, for all I care.