• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does this piss you off?

• It absolutely grinds my gears

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • I’m not that petty

Votes: 91 6.4%
  • Who gives a shit? It’s a phone anyway

Votes: 1,330 92.9%

• Total voters

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Currently in class right now and the instructor spent quite possibly 5-10 mins complaining about laggards still calling smartphones cellphones in a rather unrelated matter to the subject of the course.

I personally don't give a toss but the amount of participants on the Zoom chat going off as well; I'm actually curious if this is that big of a deal?

I personally interchange between the two, or just call it a bloody phone.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
No, It bugs me more when I ask someone at work to look at their smartphone since its setting off our security and they respond with "I don't have a smartphone, I have an iPhone."

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I just say phone, and that's what everyone should use. It's the new default, it's the other kinds of phones that should be specified.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Phones were never called cellphones in Europe so it never bothered me. They were called mobile phones.
That still seems to be used over smartphones sometimes.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just had a printer tech tell me on the phone to give him our address so he could MapQuest it

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Gonna be honest, it's never even occurred to me to notice whether they did or not.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
No.

Because how else am I going to say, "just hit me on my celly"?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I have never heard anyone in my day to day life say smartphone colloquially. It's either cell, phone, or cellphone.

My dad calls them handphones which does make me irrationally annoyed.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Mobilephone, smartphone, cellphone, Mobile, Cell, Phone.

All of the above relate to the same thing, unless you're doing something that requires granularity.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Cellphone is a parent category that covers both Smartphones and Feature Phones. As such, all smartphones are cellphones, but not all cellphones are smartphones.

Regardless, Europe has it right and mobile is a much better term than cellphone, IMO.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter to me.

I was going to say that I absolutely don't care. But I cared enough to post in this thread.

It's a phone, that can do cool, futuristic stuff.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
smart phone is a dumb name anyway. Made sense 10 years ago to differentiate a new type of phone from what had existed.

I probably say "cell phone," "phone," "mobile phone" the most. I say "smart phone" a good deal less. Smart is all relative.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No I do not get frustrated when people call a car an automobile

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Am I correct to assume that your life is pretty good if you have time and energy to get upset over what people call their cellphone?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what your instructor teaches but they sound like an idiot.

A smartphone *is* a cellphone or mobile phone. 'Smartphone' is really just a marketing thing that's out of date since every phone nowadays is a 'smart' phone.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
no? I say cell phone still. mostly just "phone" though.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is even worse than the folk that correct you when you call their vehicle a car when they drive a truck. "I don't drive a /car/ it's a /truck/"

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
lol that's ridiculous. I'd like it if we could stop calling them "phones" since that's a tertiary function at best, but I don't expect that to happen. Though maybe EU people have it right by just calling it a "mobile." I think how Germans call it a "handy" is kind of fun.

I also wish we didn't have the name "3d printer". We could have had home "fabricators" but missed the boat. But a piece of paper with ink also exists in 3 dimensions! (he shouts into the void)

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then you'll love what germany is doing.

Some call it smartphone but most, the overwhelming majority, calls it a "handy".

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This made me look up why they were called cellphones in the first place, and it's because the network is distributed into various 'cells' each served by a 'cell tower' and unless I've gone mad that's still pretty much how things work.