• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
No. Because I don't play games because they are critically acclaimed. I play games that interest me. I don't care if it's a 10 or a 6.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
no
you should be consuming content not because its highly rated but because it appeals to you.
discovery should be organic, not based on lists of stuff everyone likes.

^^^.
Games like Division 2 or Assassin's Creed Odyssey, what many ERA user consider junkfood, interest me more than Sekiro, RE2R or DMC5.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I dont mind since this means games need to appeal more to specific audiences meaning I can play games that appeal to my tastes and ignore the rest. For example Red dead is not for me so I can just ignore its existence since its made for a specific type of person.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Some of them just don't interest me.
But I'm bothered by not having the time to go through every game I am interested in.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't bother me, though I've been fortunate enough to always have the means to play basically anything I wanted to and eventually I went back to the ones I did miss when I was younger. As such, there are only a few games on any top lists that I haven't touched at some point.

But now I'm at the point where I've played (and to a degree still play) so much that I rarely can go back and enjoy something I did miss out on from prior generations. There's only so much my brain can maintain lol

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest most games probably aren't worth my time and I go through the motions for a "eh, not bad" experience as opposed to ones that make me feel strong emotions or feel super excited/hyped.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There are plenty of critically acclaimed games I don't give a single fuck about, so absolutely not.

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
A big nope. Critically acclaimed doesn't mean I will like the game in the slightest. I would rather play games that I liked more than games that are rated high.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno every so often this feeling hits me with a certain hard to obtain game, but for the most part I don't sweat it. There are too many amazing games out there in the short history of this medium for me to ever dream of playing them all.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. There's an infinite amount of acclaimed books I'll never read because they don't draw interest from me. Same goes for games.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Every time a big AAA game passes by I always think "Ah, excellent. Another great game for my retirement". Likewise for films. That way I don't mind missing them and have something to look forward to in the distant future. So it turns a negative into a positive.

Thauros

Dec 11, 2018
I'm surprised by the number of people saying no; I definitely fall under the camp of being frustrated by this. I love video games a lot and want to play all of the good ones. As it happens, I do like pretty much all kinds of games which leads me with a large number that I would want to experience. It is the same for books, and film, and music, but my time is unfortunately limited.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No. I try to maximize my enjoyment in life.

There's always constraints. Movies. Books. Dating. Friends. Travel. Eating. Etc. Can't do everything. Do as much as possible.

Games are pretty low on the list of things I'll regret not experiencing

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've played 80% of the games on those lists. Honestly, wish I got some of my time back.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't bothers me BUT, I think huge part of gaming (or anything really) is sharing your hobby with like minded people.

You can be LTTP with critically acclaimed games, but you miss the charm of exploring new things with the whole world. I got over it really fast though, still trying to Platinum Bloodborne.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm kid-less and partner-less.
I have the time available to me, the issue is motivation, not all critically acclamed games are in genres I have interest in.
But time has never stood in the way of me being able to play something I want to.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
If everything you miss out on in life bothers you, your life will be pretty miserable.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A rabid consumer doesn't sound like a happy existence to me. Mass market critically acclaimed stuff is usually pretty dull anyway.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Nope. I play games I think I'll enjoy. I try series that I think look good and that I might like.

Lots of games on those top 100 lists aren't my thing.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No.

A game can be good, it can be well-received by critics and consumers alike, and it still might not be something I'm interested in.

I buy and play everything that I want to play.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I'm more worried of missing out on less popular games because I wasn't exposed to them

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, like a third of most critically acclaimed games don't appeal to me in the slightest.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
No, because many of the "critically acclaimed" games are not for me.
Example: Rocket League, The Witness, Splatoon , Destiny, Overwatch, Nidhogg, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate,...
I also played some of these in the example and really didnt liked them at all.
It's very subjective sometime.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Im just grateful that when i do have time there are so many great games to choose from! Different mindset i guess.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I'm pretty picky about the games I like. I know a lot of critically acclaimed games simply don't tickle me, and that's fine, my tastes can't be all-encompassing.

Oct 26, 2017
Why would it? Not every single acclaimed game is going to resonate with me. Instead, I'm just picky about which ones look compelling enough for me to sink my teeth into. It's much better to play based on what interests you, as opposed to treating games like commodities.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
It does bother me. Dark Souls is critically acclaimed and I haven't played it. The Mass Effect Trilogy, same. I have all 3 games, but I've yet to play any of them. There just isn't enough time. I'm already extremely picky about what I play and even with that filter on, I still can't get through everything I'd like. Both a blessing and a curse of this age in gaming. Too much good stuff.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
I can emulate everything up to PS1 games on my little Raspberry Pi and I don't sleep much at all so I can and have been working my way through a list like that Edge one

Modern "Critically Acclaimed" games though I'm less concerned about, so unless they are from a genre I like on a console I own, I don't care about em.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't bother me. Just because it's critically acclaimed doesn't mean I'll even like it. I make time to play the games I really want, which is only a small handful each year, and I don't worry about the rest.
All this.

Especially if I don't have the platform it's on.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
No, I tend to have really deviant taste in this hobby in comparison to the norm nowadays, i couldn't care less about most of the critically acclaimed games in most case.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
No.

A critically aclaimed game can still be shit or not my thing. Had that so many times. So I won't even bother with these lists.