• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

See thread title

• Yes, it drives me nuts!

Votes: 105 42.3%
  • Would be nice to have but whateva

Votes: 108 43.5%
  • Who cares!

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Option A for me! I can't even understand the reasoning why it is not there compared to PS4 games and part of me is afraid that this is dead for good going forward...

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, having access to the patch notes was very helpful, especially in my reporting.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was really glad when they added this to the PS4. Not sure why they would remove it. Hope it comes back soon.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I was never convince the full patch notes were included for the games that actually put sommit in there, but it was handy to have sometimes.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Option B for me. I would typically read the patch notes (or pitch notes as it were) in FIFA because they were presented as a pop-up when opening the app after an update. I didn't realize there was a way to view patch notes on the PSN store or anything prior to this.

Deleted member 44122

yes, it also annoys me that a lot of ps4 games just say "bug fixes" or "check this website for details"

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah having information regards to what changes were made for an update would be nice.

I understand it's a new UI for the PS5 but I really don't see a reason why they need to start entirely from scratch with missing features that were common place for the PS4 UI. Stuff like being able to move game icons in alphabetical order or put them into folders. Let alone knowing the what changes an update did for a game.

I was hoping these things would be a given and been there on day one. Hopefully the UI won't take years to mature as it did for the PS4 then. I mean surely a baseline template is put in place. Some of these things seem super basic and roadmap shouldn't be required.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Patch notes are usually on the devs' site so no it doesn't bother me at all. I can just go do a quick search for them if I really want to know what's in it. Plus, a lot of times the update history wouldn't list everything in it anyways, or sometimes they even just put nothing and tell you to visit their site.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
if this different from selecting the game and using the menu button to get additional options and look at the update history log? or does this only work on ps4 games?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
if this different from selecting the game and using the menu button to get additional options and look at the update history log? or does this only work on ps4 games?

It only works on PS4 games you played recently that show up on the main screen.

You cannot go into your library and press the menu button and see their updates. Feels a bit backwards, yes. I suppose this something they'll add eventually. At least I hope they do.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Only works on PS4 games at the moment unfortunately.

Not only that, but only if the game was played recently and game icon is present on the main menu.

For example going into the library and pressing Menu on installed PS4 game but not visible on the main UI. You get the pull up menu for that game in particular but no option to see its update history. Only for the most recently played games with the icon present on the main screen.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't use rest mode, and it's super annoying that I can't check manually whether there's an update from the library, because the option only shows for the recently played games on the home screen.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
To me, it's just easier and more effecient to view that information on my phone, and depending on the article/site they provide a good breakdown of the patch notes.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like being able to see patch notes, I really hope they add that in again. It's clearly possible since PS4 games still show them.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's there for PS4 games on the PS5, so why don't PS5 games support it :S

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A lot of games last gen didn't even bother adding any details other than "fixed some problems" so I don't see it as too much of an issue now to be honest.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
As a ps fanboy, a lot of the ui choices are baffling. Swapping the functions of the guide button, wasting screen real estate, no prompt for closing a game, permanent hdr. Like, there's not evolving and there's actually regressing.

acebeam

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 23, 2020
Yep, would really love to know what is in the patch. I mean, Demons received 3 patches. I don't know what is inside ( yes, you can find info on the net).

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Considering most of the games just had "visit the games website for patch notes" as the system level notes I don't miss them.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Not only that, but only if the game was played recently and game icon is present on the main menu.

For example going into the library and pressing Menu on installed PS4 game but not visible on the main UI. You get the pull up menu for that game in particular but no option to see its update history. Only for the most recently played games with the icon present on the main screen.

Yeah it's annoying. On PS4 there were limitations on what you could do in the library area vs the main menu, but it wasn't THIS locked down.

Also: as someone that works in software QA it's mega annoying when devs just put "fixed issues" or other generic throwaway notes in the patch notes. Just list out what you fixed. Let us know. I can understand how there's a level of granularity that's not needed (ie: button type was missing from styles list, added button type to master list of styles and applied change to all areas) but at least give us SOMETHING. It's especially infuriating when it's a game that's having a lot of problems and you're trying to find out if, let's say, severe crashing has been resolved or not.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
There should be another option between the first and the second.

It bothers me but it doesn't "drive me nuts", so I choose the second option.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they'll add it back later on. I mean, the PS4 logs your time played for every game but it doesn't show it on the PS4 OS apparently, yet it does on the PS5. These features are def there, they just need to add them visibly to the OS.

Is there a twitter or a feature/request/feedback/suggestions site for PS5 anywhere?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's annoying but a little googling around you generally can get the notes from the devs themselves. Hope they patch it in a future update.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Patch notes in the UI were very handy. I like to know if the specific issues I've encountered are still a problem (I'm waiting on some stuff in Valhalla to get fixed or I can't get the platinum). I can always look online, but putting them in the system UI was very nice.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I miss it, even more so since the PS4 games still have it

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most devs (even first party) didn't use that feature correctly so I guess Sony decided to just rid of it.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
The funny part to me is ps4 games on the ps5 have the notes but not the ps5 games on the same system. To be honest, I would be more disappointed if more developers left more detailed patch notes but since most only leave a "various bug fixes", it's not as big of a loss.

I do get that most people outside of enthusiast never used the feature anyway.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
My first reaction was who cares, aren't all updates in the notifications? But nooo!! I was thinking of the PS4. On PS5 it does notify about updates, but all it says is "Updated", or "Ready to Use", or "Ready to Play".

Having update notes directly from context menu on the game's icon would be nice.

GTSport is awesome for this, it pops a window with all the update notes, images of new stuff, long explanations of new features, red dots in the menus where thre's been new stuff added you didn't look at, it has a list of bug fixes, improvements, car nerfing (*cough*performance rebalanced*cough*) etc... Would be great if they did that at least for all online games that are evolving games that received frequent updates like that.

Bug fixes are nice but I don't really need to know it's not like I'll skip a bug fix. Any feature changes or enhancements should be documented.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure which update this came with, but I just noticed you can check a games update history with all the patch notes.

EDIT
Seems like this only applies to PS4 games.. how bizarre.

Last edited:

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
For those pointing out that some games didn't detail their patch notes, who cares? Some info from other games directly on the console is a lot better than no info in any of them.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Patch notes allow you to know tweaks and changes to characters or features so that you may better control how you interact with the game.

I feel a lack of player agency whenever I see "Updated" but have no way of knowing what it was about.