• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does it make games better for you?

• I can think of some games where I enjoyed it (Please list)

Votes: 88 18.4%
  • Can't think of any games where it worked well

Votes: 74 15.4%
  • I really enjoy it, adds a good bit to games I think

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I don't mind as long as it's not overly complex and/or time consuming

Votes: 130 27.1%
  • I really dislike it overall

Votes: 224 46.8%
  • Other (Please list)

Votes: 8 1.7%

• Total voters

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
BotW is the most I can take. It was cute for like 5 times then I was like eh whatever. More than that? I will play something else.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't mind it if survival resource management is meant to be a core part of the game. It feels a little off to me in Fallout 76 though because I've never really thought of Fallout as that sort of game (outside of some Hardcore mods).

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Tokyo Jungle is an all around great game where eating is an integral part of surviving this game. Depending on the animal you choose, you'll either have to hunt for your food, or snatch and run until your stats are good enough to take on the bigger predators.
This is a great example too. It works there because eating is basically the main goal of the game.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Survival games (eg Don't Starve) are one of my favorite genres, and in those games I really like having to think about where my next meal is going to come from. Even better when you add in different foods and recipes giving different amounts of hunger meter, and when spoilage is a thing so you can't just hoard and forget about it

Conceptually I like it in something like Fallout, where I'm sort of RPing in my head that I'm surviving in the wasteland. Looking at FO76, it was very cumbersome and I just blindly slammed whatever was in my inventory when I started to get hungry. Not great.

Been playing a lot of Astroneer and No Man's Sky lately (which I wouldn't call survival, but again you can get into that mindspace playing these games). Both games make collecting materials very easy, and have elements of various rarities. I would very much appreciate a hunger bar in these games, and I think it would fit well*. In particular, I find the idea of setting my engines to pulse in NMS to fly towards a planet, and eating a meal while I wait and look out at the stars. Almost like something out of Cowboy Bebop.

*They just added a food crafting system to NMS, but I don't have any experience with it yet.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Replenish health item = fine.
Eating to survive/ward off hunger = needless busy work, unless it's a more survival themed game that is built around these ideas.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, I like it when you can harvest and collect food items and there are cooking systems to find new meals, but hate if it's all in service to a hunger meter. This is one point of DQB2 I don't like, I feel like the hunger meter is just a pointless annoyance. I'd be fine if meals just gave stat boosts or other effects.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First one I remember having to do this was Destiny of an Emperor for the NES. Hated having to keep buying food for my troops.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
it depends on the game . If its fast pace like COD or uncharted then it would clash with the pacing n such. But for RPGs, games like Metro , RDR 2 Resident evil games . It absolutely adds to the experience of struggle and i love it .

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
One of the worst parts of the otherwise fantastic Dragon Quest Builders 2 is the pointless need to constantly eat every 5-10 minutes.

I ended up growing 800+ cabbages and just nommed on those whenever needed but even that was annoying.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hated it when I first played Ultima VI and I hate it now. It's just busy work. Draining bars in no way replicate the feel of being hungry or thirsty, nor does satisfying these needs in-game bring the same amount of satisfaction. Therefore, it's a pointless addition to gameplay, IMO.

Ultima IV and VII definitely had it, never played V, but VI is my fav precisely because it didn't have it.

Hey, I just looked it up and you needed to eat in VI to gain back health while resting apparently? I never rested, I would just cast heal spells/return to Lord British to heal.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
The way hunger meters are implemented often bug me, too. You shove 3 loaves of bread down a character's throat and they're near death half an irl hour later when it's been maybe one and a half in game days.

I do tend to avoid a lot of the more survivaly games, so maybe it's better implemented when it's a main draw and not a feature tacked on to a game that otherwise doesn't really need it.

Apr 8, 2018
If it's just to regain health, I'm okay with that.

If it's to add "survival elements", I'll most likely hate it. The only game I can think of with survival elements I can tolerate is Minecraft.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Eating Mechanics is one of the primary reasons I stay away from survival games. For me it feels like busy work that hampers my enjoyment. But eating in general for random bonuses/cutscenes in like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, etc is all fine. As long as I don't have to constantly keep track of my hunger to make sure I don't die, then we're good.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
My biggest problem with hunger/thirst mechanics is if you have food or drinks on you your character should automatically consume them when necessary instead of dying of thirst or hunger with water or food in inventory.

If you're working at your desk with a glass of water, you unconsciously sip it when thirsty. You don't have to consciously instruct your body to perform every step of the act of consumption. It's daft.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I love that food continues to be a staple in the Tales series.

Although, my most enjoyable experience when it comes to food in a game has got to be Final Fantasy XV, no contest.

I have a folder full of screenshots of almost every meal/plate on my PC.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
It's great in FFXV and Monster Hunter, the food looks damn delicious and makes me hungry every time.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
My biggest problem with hunger/thirst mechanics is if you have food or drinks on you your character should automatically consume them when necessary instead of dying of thirst or hunger with water or food in inventory.

If you're working at your desk with a glass of water, you unconsciously sip it when thirsty. You don't have to consciously instruct your body to perform every step of the act of consumption. It's daft.
This would go a long way for me. If it auto consumed when needed, I'd be much more inclined to enjoy it overall, or at least not be so aware of it at all times.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
I don't dislike it.... I HATE IT !
With micro-transactions, it's one of the WORST game mechanism EVER !
Yeah, looking at you Fallout 76, I hate your disgusting cram and purified water, this is NOT fun at all this forced boring micro management and not even realistic to be so hungry and thirsty all the time.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I love it in BotW and Ark. Those were the first to pop in my head. BotW made it fun with the recipes and cooking. Now that I mention it, Stardew Valley does it pretty well too.

One of the worst parts of the otherwise fantastic Dragon Quest Builders 2 is the pointless need to constantly eat every 5-10 minutes.

I ended up growing 800+ cabbages and just nommed on those whenever needed but even that was annoying.

I thought of this as an example of games I don't like it in, but it's actually not too bad. I don't feel like I need to eat every 5-10 mins. It's more like 45 mins to an hour.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In games like Yakuza and FFXV where food IMPROVES the experience, I'm fine with it.

Hunger meters and hunger mechanics where you die or lose HP if your character hasn't eaten recently? Those suck.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Ultima IV and VII definitely had it, never played V, but VI is my fav precisely because it didn't have it.

Hey, I just looked it up and you needed to eat in VI to gain back health while resting apparently? I never rested, I would just cast heal spells/return to Lord British to heal.

I'm thinking that at the very least the parser would nag you and say "Iolo is hungry" "Shamino is hungry", etc. But I am probably confusing it with one of the others.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
If it's strictly for healing, I don't mind.

I do like how some games have different variety in foods you can eat to regain health, like FFXV and Yakuza. I also really like food and cooking, so.. yeah.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
There's absolutely games where the hunger mechanic adds to the game. Though I'm thinking of more management style games like The Sims, Rim World, Prison Architect, etc.

In a lot of survival focused games, it makes sense too. I just run in to a problem when hunger is too pervasive/frequent. Minecraft is an example where they need to tone the hunger drain down. No one needs to eat 5 loaves of bread because they sprinted for 5 minutes.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I actually kind of enjoyed the survival elements of Fallout 76 where you have to eat and drink often. So yeah it's fine in survival games.

I also enjoy eating for buffs in other games like FFXV and Monster Hunter.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
There are only 2 exceptions I can think of where I liked the process of eating in a game. FFXV and the Monster Hunter series.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely horrible mechanic. The only I enjoyed it was in paper Mario when I tried to find new recipes.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As some already said, i like it when its just optional for buffs or used as health recovery. The food systems in survival games with hunger and thirst meter becomes a boring maintnance task.

Games i really liked the food/ drinks:

Yakuza Games
Yakuza-6-Food.jpg

Final Fantasy XV
Elegant_orange_cake1.jpg

Monster Hunter World
41_3_1.jpg

Dragon Crown
dragons-crown-0004.jpg

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
To a certain extent I enjoy when open-world games have aspects that ground you to the world and make you follow a sort of schedule somewhat like that of the NPCs living in that world. Most open-world games just let you freely run around 24/7 and don't really make you think about time in individual days, only maybe having some aspects of the environment or NPC routines change at night. I think at the very least giving players the ability to eat and sleep, and a reason to differentiate from night and day, makes the whole thing feel more "real".

In practice though, I see it's much more annoying for most people when eating/drinking is just a benefit, not a requirement. Breath of the Wild making eating the only way to heal most of the time was a good decision because it forces you to engage with the system. Yakuza also finally figured out a good system in Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 where eating periodically boosts your experience points. Most people don't seem to want a system though where your character is sort of a robot you have to constantly monitor for hunger and sleepiness. Kingdom Come Deliverance tried to offer a light version of this and I personally wasn't annoyed by it but other people might be.

I almost forgot to mention Muramasa: The Demon Blade. And generally, this all works when a game actually takes the time to lovingly render the food.

95a849092ab6eb5ebe5927ce6a88b117--food-illustrations-japanese-food.jpg

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I enjoy it most of the time. It's usually a fun highlight for me.

I just wish more games were like Final Fantasy 15 when it came to cooking. I really like how detailed everything looks and the characters actually eat it. Most of the time the stuff you cook is just another item in a menu you just use and that's it.

If you're going to go in-depth with all kinds of cooking and recipes you better have some good eating animations to go with it.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I liked it to an extent in MGS3 but I haven't actually enjoyed it much in other games. Maybe I might like it in No Man's Sky but right now it keeps crashing too much for me to make progress in that area.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Narrative eating scenes are awesome, also love narrative drinking scenes, not sure why people hate hanging out with their companions to just relax and possibly have some character development.

The lunch scenes in Deadly Premonition are awesome at this.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I liked it to an extent in MGS3 but I haven't actually enjoyed it much in other games. Maybe I might like it in No Man's Sky but right now it keeps crashing too much for me to make progress in that area.
I don't mind it too much in NMS. I'd rather not have to do it obviously but for whatever reason, the way it's done in that game isn't too much of a nuisance to me. I think part of it is because what you need for health, oxygen, etc. is quite plentiful and very easy to create when needed.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
This is why I skipped games like DayZ and Ark. The eat/drink to survive aspect is something I have never found enjoyment in, and it only makes me stressed and anxious.

I have no problem with food/drinks to replenish health, mana etc., or to give you demporary buffs like in World of Warcraft and BotW.

Oct 27, 2017
To replenish health or grant bonuses is fine.

Mandatory "you need to eat to stay alive" is not fun to me at all.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
I think Yakuza is the best one along with ff15 because cooking is fun and I get hungry after looking at the food iggy makes. And Yakuza is like a cultural flavor tour especially the alcohol.

Fenrick

Oct 27, 2017
Kent\Covington, WA
I like food and drinks for optional buffs, but I hate mandatory eating and drinking just to fill a bar. I find it incredibly tedious.

The food, drink, horse maintenance, gun cleaning, ect. Is actually what made me drop RDR2. I can dig that some people like really granular systems, but I was bored to tears by it.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of hunger and thirst having an effect on survival-type games, but most games do it poorly by making it require constant maintenance or almost a binary toggle. It should be a boost for eating well, no penalty for eating occasionally, and a minor debuff if you go a day without eating. Then only after multiple days of neglecting the mechanic should it really lead to problems or a potential fail state.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I don't mind it too much in NMS. I'd rather not have to do it obviously but for whatever reason, the way it's done in that game isn't too much of a nuisance to me. I think part of it is because what you need for health, oxygen, etc. is quite plentiful and very easy to create when needed.

That's good to hear, I was going to consider avoiding it when I heard about it being added but I might actually try it out now.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
best case scenario for me is it's unobtrusive and I just kinda forget it exists

and that's the best case scenario

Oct 26, 2017
When the food looks good, I think it's a fun addition. Like, the eating food at camp minigame in Dragon's Crown when you're chaining dungeons together I think is pretty fun, because that food looks delicious.

Most other times food items are used to just replenish health--no animations or cooking minigame or anything like that. Those are fine too, but I do like the stuff like in Dragon's Crown.