• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Halo has the worst competitive multiplayer

• Reach

Votes: 154 22.3%
  • Halo 4

Votes: 456 65.9%
  • Other

Votes: 82 11.8%

• Total voters

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Purely subjective and purely personal, but I consider Halo 2's to be the worst. The excitement on release day of a new Halo game, my mind reeling with the prospect of multiplayer online, just to find it waa battle rifles pretty much 24/7. I spent a week or so struggling to love it before never touching it again. I know most people consider it to be the best, but I ain't on board.

CE and 5 are the most enjoyable.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
While it had much better maps than Reach and didn't have armor lock, Halo 4 is still worse. It tried to be a CoD copy, which didn't draw anyone in, both due to Halo fans not wanting a CoD clone and people looking for that CoD itch getting a far superior product in Blops II.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5's single player is a dumpster fire, but the multiplayer is the best the series has been since 2.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Purely subjective and purely personal, but I consider Halo 2's to be the worst. The excitement on release day of a new Halo game, my mind reeling with the prospect of multiplayer online, just to find it waa battle rifles pretty much 24/7. I spent a week or so struggling to love it before never touching it again. I know most people consider it to be the best, but I ain't on board.

Competitive CE is more enjoyable when the Pistol is a more OP version of the BR? Interesting

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 was worse.

But Reach was also the low point for the series multiplayer at the time.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Why do people keep bringing up armor lock when it doesn't exist in Reachs competitive multiplayer? To be clear, there is no discussion without the base assumption that we are talking about MLG settings. Default settings are not competitive in either game no matter what.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I see there is still hope in this forum for Civilized Halo Fans.

When I first played Halo 2 after hundreds, if not thousands of hours with CE, I was confused on what happened. It felt like a completely different game lol. Still invested significant time into that game too and had amazing experiences, but it was not the gameplay follow-up I wanted.

This franchise still needs its Combat Evolved 2; Halo's ace in the hole.

RustedEdge

Aug 17, 2019
User Warned: Hostility
Yeah I mean in all those situations why are you playing close quarters against someone with armor lock like that? Keep your space.
As if I know if they have armor lock or not, and if I do, if it's on cooldown or not. You want me to further elaborate on the many examples on how armor lock can keep you alive at range as well? Shooting you midrange and you decide to armor lock lets you live. But I should've played smarter? Shut the fuck up.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
But the way it breaks the flow of the game IS bad and because of that it's got a negative impact on the game as a whole, Defending something bad just because you think you're good and can play around it is some fucking hubris
I... wasn't defending armor lock

Unless you're referring to the other guy

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Competitive CE is more enjoyable when the Pistol is a more OP version of the BR? Interesting

The pistol isn't more OP than the BR. Yes the magnum kills more quickly if you land perfect shots, but it's outstrafing a CE magnum user is much more probable than outstrafing H2 BR users.

The BR had insane headshot priority, further bolstered by the 3 shot burst helping mitigate inaccuracy.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Halo 5 multiplayer is one of best in the franchise, stop mentioning as the worst people....maps aren't the best but gameplay is excellent!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Halo 4 and 5, maybe infinite will forever taint the series from the Bungie-made games being fallible to the series in general.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Not a big Halo fan, never played much of it.

Started now with MCC, it's fun I guess? If the others are better, can't wait.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Reach is fine. Invasion is fun. 4v4 is decent if you like the meta of a single weapon dominating (it's fun, just gets old quick imo).

Lots of imba, but then that's pretty staple for Halo. The best Halo MP is CE and that's just Pistol ballet, but even then I found I could do more with the other weapons. CE has the best maps, too.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's the worst of the bungie games. Still better than 343's output.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Reach was the start of the downward trend, so in that sense I rate it poorly.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Halo 4 has the worst multiplayer of the series because it breaks Halo's classic gameplay loop, which is all about map control. When you can just drop stuff from the air, you don't have to worry about fixed power weapon spawns any more. This shifts the whole dynamic of the game.

Halo 4 has a lot of confounding design decisions like that. This could be the result of individual developers believing that Halo should take its cues from other, very different, FPS games. Not good. Thankfully 343 fixed pretty much everything in Halo 5.

Last edited:

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Halo 4 Legendary settings is better than Reach NBNS so Reach is the worst.

Also LOL at anyone saying that 5 is the worst. It's almost like you guys never even played it. 5 easily has the best MP since 2.

This forum is home to some hilariously bad takes for the user base. Bad form, bad form...

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Reach and Halo 4 are almost equally unpalatable as multiplayer games, but for drastically different reasons. Whilst Reach was a "quality" game with some unique ideas, it's core changes of slower movement, bloom, AA's and the stinking Ranking system killed it from the get-go. It just wasn't fun. And coming as a follow up to Halo 3 it's flaws were even more apparent.

4 is a mediocre experience from top to bottom. The things it did well were basically the end result of reinstating the classic gameplay loop of previous games. The new things it added, such as sprint and aim down sights were derivative and out of place. It was such a poor product.

5 was obviously much, much better, but it feels too little, too late. Infinite is a fresh start that absolutely should heed the lessons of Reach and 4.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Probably the worst with Halo 4, but the Swat mode was incredibly fun.
To me, the multiplayer kings are Halo 3 and 5.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
EVEN POST ARMORLOCK, you haven't died and truly gone to hell until you're playing Countdown or Swordbase. Or that one map I've scrubbed from my mind where the prevailing strategy was to just jetpack and shoot downwards as no one could headshot you through your feet. And then throw bloom on top of that dumpster fire of a game.

Buuuut Halo 4 was the wannabe CoD clone version of Halo, and a bad one at that. So that one.

Dec 20, 2017
I wasn't aware that 5 had good multiplayer before this thread. Started it up on xcloud tho and I am having an absolute ton of fun with it. I only ever read hate for the game, but I guess that is just for single player?

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Reach was fun-pre 343 fuckery. My biggest disappointment with the game was the fact that they just used forge to make a majority of the new maps. Felt pretty rushed and like Bungie just wanted to be done with franchise.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Bloom adds lack of consistency and luck, armor abilities that negate stickies and allow bad players to sprint away when being out shot, bad players can spam dmr and win if lucky. When the game didn't have bleed through it yet again introduced another element of frustration.

Coming off halo 3 it had a ton of fundamental design changes/problems that made it very frustrating for hardcore players.
People used to say "adapt" but I always felt it was just designed in a worse way to shrink the skill gap.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
People shit on Halo 4 a lot but the BTB gameplay and maps were some of the best in the series imo.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Definitely Halo 4 is the worst. I loved Reach. So many memories of coming home from high school and playing it for hours. I loved the slower paced, I love finally have a run function via Armor abilities, SWAT was unmatched, the DRM was probably the best gun in Halo and the Forge creations was always super fun to dive into random maps. Reach was great, I had more fun with Reach multi-player than 3's.