• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I respect the hell out of Hades, but after being on approximately run 35 or so and just hit area 3. hearing people finish it in under 10 runs, makes me want to put it down and move on. I am clearly not playing the game correctly.
I got my first win at run 40-ish. After that I had 10 consecutive wins, sometimes with different weapons and sometimes with increased difficulty modifiers. Once you're able to beat it even once, you'll get dramatically better as the lessons you've learned will apply to other weapons and with higher difficulty modifiers as well. You will at first need to find a weapon you're most comfortable with and imo, that's usually either Aegis or Exagryph. Try these two if you're getting frustrated.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Yeah uhh regarding the talk of ppl beating Hades in under 10 runs? No fucking way. Not gonna lie took me over 20 runs to atleast get to him and beat him with the cheapest weapon. 3rd act boss hello? That should put a stop to many newcomers.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Writing was great from the beginning, imo. I like interacting with NPCs every run just to see what new lines they'll give me.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well yes because Zag becomes extremely powerful at the end. Just keep on playing and find your favorite setups. Combat becomes faster and more chaotic but so your attacks and combos. You will unlock so many different styles that something will probably click with you. If not than this is not the type of game for you I guess.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah if the characters and story aren't doing it for you you're gonna have a hard time staying with it because thats what makes the game so special.

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even like Rogue-likes, and I'm head over heels in love with Hades. That said, if it isn't clicking 3-5 hours in, then you should probably move on. Time is too valuable to waste it on a leisure activity that isn't generating fun.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Basically everytime you finish a run you get more of the story and side quests, without them there is no motivation unless you want to try a specific build or speed run it so if you don't care about the characters and the gameplay isn't sticking with you there aint no point in continuing

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Actually no, OP, I'm afraid it doesn't.

Matter of fact, part of the reason it's unanimously winning so many awards right now is because it gets actively, wilfully worse as it continues.

They designed it that way.

Or perhaps more accurately: it just isn't for you, so probably best to stop. You gave it a fair chance, but sadly it's not your thing.

Love the answers so far. Quite mature for a change.

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I experienced the same. And now I read glowing praise at every outlet.

Will try again, but I'm not sure if its for me. Great character portraits though.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It does get better, but if you're really feeling nothing at this point it may not get better enough for you. The story and mechanics are constantly expanding, particularly after the first completion. If you're feeling like progress is too slow, I actually think the God Mode setting is a really smart way to ensure constant progress without really sacrificing any of the looping aspect of the game.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I think it's fun how you don't know what your facing each run. I can't wait to kill that first boss, I've died on her 8 times now

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I respect the hell out of Hades, but after being on approximately run 35 or so and just hit area 3. hearing people finish it in under 10 runs, makes me want to put it down and move on. I am clearly not playing the game correctly.
Yeah uhh regarding the talk of ppl beating Hades in under 10 runs? No fucking way. Not gonna lie took me over 20 runs to atleast get to him and beat him with the cheapest weapon. 3rd act boss hello? That should put a stop to many newcomers.

Remember a lot of people play on Easy Mode and don't say it. The game doesn't gate achievements or anything if you activate it, so a lot of people end up activating it because it makes the game a lot easier. Don't ever feel bad about not completing the game in 10 runs, (and also don't ever feel bad about activating Easy Mode.). People get weird with this sometimes.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
So, I've played about 3 to 4 hours and just defeated the first boss and am in the second area.

This game just is not clicking with me. I don't care for the story or characters. The groundhog day aspect is interesting and neat, the combat is pretty solid, and the art is gorgeous.

But I expected more. It just has not gripped me.

All these glowing reviews mention the narrative a ton and how great it is.

Does the story get better? Did anyone who loves the game only feel mild on it about where I'm at?

I want to finish it, but I'm already feeling the tug of boredom. And my backlog is.....yeah.
I find the ending very touching but if you did not care about the characters 4 hours later than its hard to recommend to you to keep
It took me 20 tries to finally reach and beat the final boss (17 to reach and 3 to beat). Now I finish in 40 minutes
Did you unlock all mirror's upgrades? You need something like 50 keys and they change the game

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
All these glowing reviews mention the narrative a ton and how great it is.

Does the story get better?

I really like this game and never thought the story was particularly good or anything. It's cool to give context to what you are doing, but not much more than that.

Combat, art direction and music is where it's at for me.

How many weapons have you unlocked? That's what kept me playing. Trying new combinations and stuff while increasing the difficulty.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it. I love the loop of Souls games, and have come to appreciate how punishing / demanding it is of the player. Especially when you die and have to trek all the way back to get your souls. But Hades might be the sweet spot for me. I don't think I've been frustrated with any deaths nearly as much as I have playing From games. I know they're two different genres and approaches, but I'd rather get sent back to the hub with currency I've earned in my failed run. Feels like I'm successfully chipping away at the game every single time.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
You'll be unlocking stuff until pretty much a few hours from when you stop playing the game (if you do everything), so it definitely gets more. If you're not into the game now though I don't know if your view will change, as the stuff you unlock is all variations for what you're playing now.

Bobby Peru

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
I have pretty decent vision, but it's really difficult to play the game on a Lite. I had to put the game down 10 minutes in just because it was hard for me to make out half the things on the screen - a problem I've never really had with other games on my Lite.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I'm having a lot of fun and see some brilliant ideas, but also I don't see what makes it a goty contender, I liked Children of Morta better for example.

With that said, it took a while to click and I'm enjoying it more now than a few weeks ago and every run I'm more into it so I'd say keep going for now. It's a very confusing game at first so you may want to look up a guide to speed up your progress in the beginning.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it gets better.

But Hades gripped me from the first moment. Not sure you're going to get much more out of it after 3-4 hours if you aren't already enjoying it.

May 19, 2020
So, I've played about 3 to 4 hours and just defeated the first boss and am in the second area.

This game just is not clicking with me. I don't care for the story or characters. The groundhog day aspect is interesting and neat, the combat is pretty solid, and the art is gorgeous.

But I expected more. It just has not gripped me.
yeah drop it tbh, it's not for you. might be able to get a refund at your low play time.

i think it's my GOTY but games are not some universal thing, you're gonna get some misses every once in a while

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I think it's a fantastic game but it's not going to click with everyone, as expected with any game.
If it doesn't grip you then there's no reason to continue playing, you'll find something else.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I loved the way it incorporated Greek Myth right away, so the story was fun along with the setting. The story isn't super groundbreaking or anything, it's how the story and gameplay are woven together.

The gameplay is simple but fun and rewarding, and similar to Souls games you can feel the improvements as you learn enemy patterns and get used to the combat systems.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
None of their games click with me, but they're all highly reviewed. So I think the problem lies with me.
I always hype up supergiant and then realize ive never finished any of their games(havent tried pyre). I love the music and setting of the games but the gameplay just never clicks for me. I think id like their stuff more as an animated series or comic honestly

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Maybe the story might grip you later on because a tfirst you don't really know what's going on. If you're only just at the second area, you wouldn't know the motivation for Zagreus escaping and wouldn't have gotten to speak with a lot of the cast.

The story got me from the start though. If you don't like the characters, (what is wrong with you!?!) than there's not much there for you unfortunately. It's a strictly character driven story.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The narrative in an incredibly slow paced drip feed. It's not the reason I'd play the game. If you don't enjoy the combat and gameplay loop the narrative is not going to be enough.

That said you are really early, you could argue that the story doesn't even start until you complete your first run. The issue I had is that from there progression is slow and requires a lot of time investment for how little you get.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Might not be for you.

I adore it, but did since the beginning really. I've hated the idea of Rougelikes, and this is the first to really click with me.

I need a hook, and I love permanent upgrades.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I bounced off Bastion twice (I thought the gameplay was okay and the narrator gimmick always felt very corny to me) which made me never really interested in any of Supergiant's later stuff, and while I can enjoy roguelites for a while, I usually don't see them through.

Hades completely hooked me from the get-go. All of the characters are very charming and layered, the decision making is fun and varied, the art and music are fantastic, the combat is exhilarating, the structure of it (how both the story and gameplay are tied into the repetition and dying) is genius.

ebugg

Nov 3, 2018
i am in the same boat - i do like most rogue-lites and bought this game due to the hype i saw here on era and from a couple friends. its definitely fun and i love the art, but i was expecting to have my mind blown :-/

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I always hype up supergiant and then realize ive never finished any of their games(havent tried pyre). I love the music and setting of the games but the gameplay just never clicks for me. I think id like their stuff more as an animated series or comic honestly
Every one of their games I played has been an example of style over substance to me. If Hades ever comes to Game Pass or PS+, I'll give it a shot.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it clicked with me from the first few minutes, but i do think it gets even better after a while.

also wait a damn minute, people beat the game in 10 runs?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I played a bit of it and though I liked what I saw of the dialogue and characters, the combat itself wasn't appealing to me. And this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the art very much either, it's well done for sure, just not my style.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I beat it on like run 8 or 9 on normal. It's not that hard, I just paid attention to my build.

Feb 1, 2018
So The Last of Us 2 is forum hype? Or industry hype? It's not just resetera. It's almost every critic reviewing this game. Like I said, some lowkey sleeper gem like Immortals Fenyx Rising is "forum hype" to me.

Hype isn't a bad thing lol. Oftentimes it's well deserved. But it doesn't mean the game is for everyone's sensibilities and tastes. Hence why I advised against purely buying a game because everyone else likes it

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine this game not clicking within the first 5 minutes. This game is incredible from the very first run.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
While I like the story and characters I just don't like rogue likes and find the game extremely repetitive. Dropped it for now after
reaching Persephone for the first time

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
While I like the story and characters I just don't like rogue likes and find the game extremely repetitive. Dropped it for now after
reaching Persephone for the first time

Yeah I just find it too repetitive. I loved Bastion. But can't get into this one.

The art is absolutely incredible. The voice acting is fantastic, and I like the story enough. I think I would've liked it better if it was a 8-12 hour game instead of being a god knows how long repetitive rogue like.

The game play is also just not clicking for me in the same way as Bastion did, where it felt far less chaotic, where it was more methodical.

Oct 29, 2017
I'd say if you don't like it after 3-4 hours then you probably won't like it at all. The game hooked me almost instantly, and while there was definitely a learning curve for the combat and how the boons and upgrades worked, the story and the characters grabbed onto my imagination very quickly. If it's not doing that for you, then I'd suggest maybe putting it down and playing something else.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Lol, I think the people beating it under 10 are the outlier. If it makes you feel better, I thought area 3 is really when I started cruising. I'm on the final boss in 30-40ish runs I think.
For me, area 3 (the boss in particular) was my major wall. I've only beat it once and that run I made it to "the end" though I didn't end up beating it. I haven't gone back since due to a bunch of other stuff coming out though.

Oct 29, 2017
For me, area 3 (the boss in particular) was my major wall. I've only beat it once and that run I made it to "the end" though I didn't end up beating it. I haven't gone back since due to a bunch of other stuff coming out though.

Yeah the boss of area 3 is a huge wall at first for sure. Area 3 also has some verrrrry deadly traps which you can lose a ton of HP on needlessly. Area 3 is probably my favorite though, aesthetically and thematically.

But I definitely did not beat the final boss until my 28th run yesterday, so people beating it in 10 or less runs is absolutely an outlier.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i definitely hit a brick wall for a few days playing the Bone Hydra (second level boss, not much further than you are) over and over frustratingly. it was to the point that i thought i wouldn't pick it up again. once I broke through that wall, though, I finally "got" it and have been playing for dozens of hours after that.

no one can tell you to keep playing a game, or whether or not you will like what a game has in store for you, but if you do decide to keep playing i think you'll find you weren't really playing what the game had to offer yet.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Tried it to, went to the 3rd boss (but i needed a TON of run). I'm pretty dumb for games with boss patterns, i just attack and i'm not good at avoiding anything ^^'

Also about the roghe like thing (my first time) i'm ok with it if i can keep something, kinda grind and feel things get more easy. That works here except they scale the game to throw crazy hard challenge at you more and more lol.
Also. not having the choices of the skills/bonus i'll have in a run is bad for me. I like some more than others, if i can't chose..

Now, let's talk about something please, and it's a more general problem i think. This game on a Switch Lite.. hm.. i'm often hit by things i don't even saw coming at all. I can't read the text for some skill descriptions.. It's not great..

As for the story it's nice i guess but it feels like some sort of hell soap opera with classy dialogs. Didn't really hook me.