• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 21, 2019
So, I've played about 3 to 4 hours and just defeated the first boss and am in the second area.

This game just is not clicking with me. I don't care for the story or characters. The groundhog day aspect is interesting and neat, the combat is pretty solid, and the art is gorgeous.

But I expected more. It just has not gripped me.

All these glowing reviews mention the narrative a ton and how great it is.

Does the story get better? Did anyone who loves the game only feel mild on it about where I'm at?

I want to finish it, but I'm already feeling the tug of boredom. And my backlog is.....yeah.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was great from the beginning. So yeah, if you're not feeling it now, I don't think that's going to change.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Its a great game, but if you don't really care about the narrative. Well, Hades is still a rogue-like so I doubt you'll find anything interesting

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've played about 3 to 4 hours and just defeated the first boss and am in the second area.

This game just is not clicking with me. I don't care for the story or characters. The groundhog day aspect is interesting and nest, the combat is pretty solid, and the art is gorgeous.

Does the story get better? Did anyone who love the game only feel mild on it about where I'm at?

I want to finish it, but I'm already feeling the tug of boredom. And my backlog is.....yeah.
No one can tell you if it will get better for YOU.

No matter what we tell you of our experiences, if it doesn't click for you... it doesn't click. The game will not drastically change over time, if you don't like it now the only real way you'll feel differently is if you maybe approach with a different mindset or mood in future.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It clicked with me within the first five minutes. It might just not be for you. Sorry.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a part of the game where there's a pretty rough plateau early on, where you just seem stuck in the 2nd area (maybe breaking through into 3 once in awhile). Once you break through that (through leveling mirror skills, getting new weapons, etc), then the game really shines and doesn't let up.

I felt similar to how you did when I was playing through it initially, what did it for me was unlocking the fists. In my case I was only doing 1-2 runs per day in between playing other stuff too.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay to not like a popular game. Just drop it and move onto something else you might enjoy.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I really wanna try Hades, but I don't like Roguelites, and from what I've seen of it I don't really like the dialogue, even if the characters and voice actors are great.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Probably won't do it for you then. It was an immediate thing for me. The game's narrative is just sprinkled throughout. The gameplay is the main highlight imo

OP
OP
redflamingolingo
Sep 21, 2019
There's a part of the game where there's a pretty rough plateau early on, where you just seem stuck in the 2nd area (maybe breaking through into 3 once in awhile). Once you break through that (through leveling mirror skills, getting new weapons, etc), then the game really shines and doesn't let up.

I felt similar to how you did when I was playing through it initially, what did it for me was unlocking the fists. In my case I was only doing 1-2 runs per day in between playing other stuff too.

This gives me hope. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll see it through. It is certainly unique. Fists sound good. Didn't know melee would become an option.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Are you familar with rougelites? The Groundhog day comment made me think it's one of your firsts.

It's about the multiple runs, experimentation, and so on. Don't think about it like a regular A>B style game.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love when people ask "does it get better". Like how the hell are we supposed to know what your personal opinion on the game is gonna improve or not lol.

Just drop it and move on to something else.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a roguelike so there's never going to be a point where you're permanently done with the boring bits.

If the writing and characters aren't getting you then it's best you drop it.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
It clicked for me when you have the little bit where you snoop through Hades' desk at night, which I think you've already seen. If you're not feeling it just drop it. 5 hours is enough imo.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
How many runs have you attempted? I thought the game was just fine to begin with, and it didn't hook me until quite a few runs later.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Try Going Under. Its another rougelite that came out around the same time as Hades, and its really good also

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the gameplay is great, and I found the story pretty good, but the roguelike aspect of the game killed my enjoyment after about 15 hours. Just running the levels over and over and the story barely progressing got really boring to me after a while since I enjoyed the gameplay but got burnt out on it after a while. The middle of the game really drags in my opinion. So if you are not enjoying the beginning, I am not sure you will enjoy the middle.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair every character gets more interesting as you talk to them more. It's like getting to know somebody. You know a bit about them at first but every character has a level of depth that you won't discover just having gotten through the first boss.

More importantly, I wouldn't quit until you unlock all the weapons. The sword is my least favorite weapon in the game and my favorite is the last one you unlock.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Usually it's the gameplay and systems in these games that draw you in to play more. That urge to unlock new weapon and upgrade meta progression was my drive for Hades. If the core gameplay and theme is not your thing, it won't change the more you play.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Even I was underwhelmed through the first 3-4 hours. But the game comes into its own after you defeat the final boss for the first time. That's when the story and gameplay expand and the game shoots straight into GOAT territory.

Major spoiler ahead:

The dialogue after you beat the final boss the first time really made me sad for him.

Hades: "I... how... you... Go. Go, then. Go!! Get out of here! Get out!"
Zagreus: "I told you that I would, Father. And I'm going to. Goodbye."
Hades: "...Wait. Wait, just... if you... if you find her. If you somehow find her? Tell her something for me, tell her... Tell her Cerberus is doing very well."
Zagreus: "What? Wait. I don't think I owe you any favors, here. Though, answer me one question, and I'll give it some thought, how's that?"
Hades: "...I know your question, boy. But, ask it anyway."
Zagreus: "Persephone. My mother. Why did she leave?"
Hades: "...I... urgh... blood and darkness..."
Hades: "There... is... no... escape..."
Zagreus: "Good bye, Father."

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Someone told me a game is good. I bought it without thinking about the games I like. Why is the game not good FOR ME

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dont treat it like a typical game and just play 30 mins to an hour of it a night. A run or two a day and you'll enjoy it more most likely. Work on that backlog

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I kinda feel the same op. I think I need to give it a rest and let the insane hype die down a bit tbh before jumping back it. I thought it was good, but I think people exclaiming how it's the best game ever makes me look at it in a more discerning light instead of just enjoying it.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

This game just is not clicking with me. I don't care for the story or characters. The groundhog day aspect is interesting and neat, the combat is pretty solid, and the art is gorgeous.

Does the story get better? Did anyone who loves the game only feel mild on it about where I'm at?

Drop it now. The same thing happened to me (only after about...12 hours). The story never got more interesting and the loop only got more boring.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I love when people ask "does it get better". Like how the hell are we supposed to know what your personal opinion on the game is gonna improve or not lol.

Just drop it and move on to something else.
? Games can absolutely get better after a certain point. It's not some outlandish question. Op is asking for other peoples experiences

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It's a good game but it really is the rogue like for people don't like rogue likes.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
None of their games click with me, but they're all highly reviewed. So I think the problem lies with me.

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
We're going to see this a lot considering Hades was GOTY nominated constantly and won some. It's a roguelite plain and simple. It has very nice theme + VA to back up what the game is.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care at all about the story or the characters. I'm only playing Hades for the gameplay and the rogue mechanics that i enjoy.

If the gameplay don't click after a few hours, don't waste your time. Work on your backlog instead :p

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I saw the videos and Jim Sterling praising it, and even though I have NEVER enjoyed a rogue-like...I bought it.

Turns out I REALLY dont like rogue-likes.

I like the art and the story was kinda ok but the gameplay loop does not resonate with me at all. I feel like Im "wasting time", dont know how to describe it.

A great project otherwise, for people that value that kind of loop.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's repetitive as all hell. If you're not liking what you're doing now, you probably won't enjoy it when you're doing the exact same thing 50 hours later.

I enjoyed it well enough, but all the GotY awards are baffling to me. I feel like there's more meme there than merit.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I loved it from the start even tho i don't care about the story, i like roguelikes in general. Maybe try it a bit more since you only played a bit but don't try too hard, game gets repetitive quick so if you don't like it soonish i don't see that changing.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't like the gameplay loop I'd say drop it. That doesn't change at all, other than getting new mirror upgrades, weapons, and boons.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I respect the hell out of Hades, but after being on approximately run 35 or so and just hit area 3. hearing people finish it in under 10 runs, makes me want to put it down and move on. I am clearly not playing the game correctly.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020

I agree with that. I liked the game since the beginning, but liked it more and more after that part .
But for me plateau Was on 3rd level not 2nd.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'm a huge Hades fan, but If you're not feeling it now, I'd say it's safe to drop it. The gameplay loop doesn't change much, so if it's not grabbing you now, it won't later. The story is a bit of a slow burn but if you're not invested in the characters after about 3 to 4 hours I'm not sure it's worth it for you to continue playing.

I respect the hell out of Hades, but after being on approximately run 35 or so and just hit area 3. hearing people finish it in under 10 runs, makes me want to put it down and move on. I am clearly not playing the game correctly.

Eh, don't get discouraged if you aren't beating it by run 35. The people who finish in under 10 runs are a big outlier

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Some people get lucky with a real good build from the onset. Just because they complete the first run quicker doesn't meant they don't spend the next 20 trying to get the 2nd. People really don't start getting lots of wins until they hit a certain part in the mirror.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I think the people beating it under 10 are the outlier. If it makes you feel better, I thought area 3 is really when I started cruising. I'm on the final boss in 30-40ish runs I think.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017

Nah, I think you're fine. Some people are just beasts with action games, and/or had a particularly lucky run. I think I remember reading something from Supergiant that the average before a first clear was something like 40 runs. My first was somewhere between my 40th and 50th run, and then I was able to do it consistently after that.

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I bought it off hype even though I thought the gameplay of Bastion was pretty mediocre.

Unlocking more weapons adds the variety you're looking for. Game didn't click with me till I got the Shield.

Also, its not Groundhog Day, you're not resetting time every death. The narrative continues as you play, thats one of the big enticing aspects of the game. The story does get better as you go because of this.

edit: oh and breaking through skill checks is extremely satisfying. Certain bosses are impenetrable the first time you meet them, but when you finally beat them the first time they're never a problem again, for most decent runs anyway.