• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 10, 2019
When reading/watching the information/videos before release I was thinking the same thing. Now though maybe 50/50 but I lean more into it being it's own game. Still, every time I have to climb/descend, AC pops in my head.

Not going to lie but just seeing Desmond Miles running across a battlefield in samurai armor, screaming "anybody see a piece of eden anywhere?", would bring a smile on my face.

Jan 15, 2018
Definitely getting some early AC and Far Cry 3 vibes from it. What really impresses me is it still manages to differentiate itself despite following a bunch of open world tropes.

I'm glad it turned out so well because I don't think I'd like current Ubisofts version of a feudal Japan AC. They really don't know how to show restraint with those games anymore, the worlds are too big and they're way too long.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
It scratches that itch, and more. I love how they have handled the open world design, I don't feel overwhelmed but I also don't feel like I'm having my hand held the entire time. Also don't feel like I'm just doing a bunch of pointless random stuff. They've done an excellent job in overcoming the usual open world design issues that have developed over the years IMO.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most definitely and I'm glad we got it in this game rather than in an assassin's creed. Genuinely having fun completing the map rather than doing it for exp or some completionist obligation that I feel with modern assassin's creed games.

If they ever make a sequel I hope they work on the minor side quest presentation but I'd still take these over minor Odyssey side quests any day of the week

Oct 27, 2017
I am loving the game more than any AC game I have played. It shares some aspects but the world of GoT is so much better it is not even funny. Way more fun to explore. I also feel the game is a bit more unique compared to AC's design. It is obviously inspired by it but it does it's own thing in a lot of spots.

Also the combat is on a whole other level.

Not sure how I will be able to return to my playthrough of Odyssey now.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Ubisoft would have made a samurai game as good as this. The game would have been by the numbers Assassin's creed such as Odyssey and origins. Definitely no Kurosawa mode. The sad part is, people would still love it because the game would be based in Japan.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm personally enjoying this way more than Assassin's Creed (though admittedly I haven't played too many of them). It has a lot of its own flare and identity. It's excellent!

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so far it does. It is kind of a Tenchu and assassin's creed combo and I dig it a lot. The side quests are far better and actually rewarding and it doesn't seem as bloated so it has that going for itself. Loving it for now!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Better than any of the modern AC in all ways imaginable. I love it that it does not focus on loot management too.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Not really. Though, I haven't played an AC game in a while.

But Ghost has been really fun so far.

Last edited:

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The camp raids feel like Origins-era AC, even down to a similar musical flourish when stalking through the encampments. The other aspects of the game don't feel like AC at all to me.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
It's combat is superb, unlike any Ass Creed game.

The world is really beautiful, with Intersting stories and great progression.

Really hope this is a start of a franchise for SP.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If I didn't know much about the game and if you told me that Jin received a hidden blade and was inducted into a secret assassin order as he leans into the "Ghost" aspect more and more, I'd have no trouble believing that it was an Assassin's Creed game until shown or told otherwise.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feudal Japan was my dream setting for Assassin's Creed, now I don't care if they ever visit that period.

Tsushima knocks it outta the park.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
-Historical setting
-Fairly standard, low risk climbing
-Early tragedy to set protagonist onto a path
-map+icons
-jumping assassinations
-The same camera angle as AC for most NPC conversations
-shrines are basically those climbing puzzles from the Ezio AC games
-whistle for horse
-follow missions
-clearing camps
-random inserts of famous historical figures

A lot of these are minor or common to many current open world games but I'd argue that's because a lot of them share DNA with AC.

It's an AC game (mix of new and old) without the animus and with better combat & a prettier world. Doesn't have the loot focus of the new AC games but There's like a 90% overlap overall.

also it has darts that make enemies rage

Last edited:

nath999

May 7, 2018
Fair! Maybe that shows you how homogenous the genre has become... ;)

Have just been playing GoT and Far Cry 3 Classic/Far Cry 5 pretty much back to back this week and they share so much. I don't really see AC (specifically the older ones that people keep referencing?) so much in it other than the combat.

That's how homogeneous Ubisoft has become, all there games have the same generic feel.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
It has definitely crossed my mind while playing Tsushima. There are plenty of differences with an AC game. Map in general is a bit less overpopulated in my opinion.

Definitely a good thing though and it definitely scratched my open world feudal Japan itch.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm enjoying it way more than any Assassins Creed to be honest. It has way better combat than any AC game for one and it also feels way more immersive in game design. The graphics also completely blow away any AC game including the recent Odyssey which I hold in high regard when it comes to graphics.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt Ubisoft would have made a samurai game as good as this. The game would have been by the numbers Assassin's creed such as Odyssey and origins. Definitely no Kurosawa mode. The sad part is, people would still love it because the game would be based in Japan.

How can origins and odyssey be the by the numbers AC games when they totally changed the AC formula in a way that pisses off lots of AC fans?

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
the stealth is broken and the AI is braindead so I can't call it a good "assassin" game unless you enjoy outsmarting enemies that are as smart as lemmings

it's much more fun playing as a fighter

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018

I'm sorry but GoT is a pretty by the numbers open world game lmao. Still like it though

and "kurosawa mode" lmao, I'm pretty sure ubisoft could slap a black and white filter over the game

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
They are nothing alike, because their inner philosophy is different. GoT is gameplay wise whay AC would be if it demanded skill.
The combat progression and satisfaction is done through pure timing and feeling... not through visual bullshit.
Putting down 10 opponents in a row without getting hit on harder difficulty scratches that souls-borne "I'm a fucking badass" satisfaction.

The world is built in a way to encourage you exploring and you will sometimes find something worth your while.

Story is pretty good especially the secondary quests where we see characters evolving.
So if you persevere with them you will learn something.

Long story short, AC has become comfort fooding. You just get granted things without any insentive to carry on. So we just give you more different stuffs, trying to fill a never ending void.
Sucker Punch understood that reward has to come at a price, and if you invest time and skill, you will have a blast.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
its so much better executed than any ac game (combat, writing, characters, the world and period itself, sidemissions, no clutter on the map...). and i loved odyssey.
I'm not far enough yet, but I don't know about that. Most cases I agree but in AC2, Ezio is a far more interesting character than Jin.

I like this game because the combat is far, far better than any AC game that I've played.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I have been wanting an Assassin's Creed game set in Japan for YEARS! I am so happy this game came out. I am loving it so far.

I like this game way more than Origins or Odyssey.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's definitely scratching the itch for me, and if anything it's revealing just how tired much of the Assassins Creed formula has gotten. Now admittedly I quite enjoyed Odyssey as it had one of the first protagonists I actually liked in quite a while and the story wasn't absolutely dire. So it's not like I'm completely burned out on AC, but I'd like to see it learn a few lessons here. Things I think Ghost of Tsushima does particularly well:
  • Fully embracing the culture and time period it portrays, treating it with respect rather than just a curiosity to be mined for entertainment.
  • Telling a compelling story with dramatic tension, not just a simple tale of revenge (I'm looking at you, Origins.)
  • Taking the time to flesh out characters and make them complex individuals rather than cartoon heroes or villains. In particular, historical figures in AC strike me as something out of bad dinner theatre.
  • Rising to the challenge of creating an interesting combat system.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Ghosts has the icon collecting but it doesn't have the scifi AC goofyness that I love.

Looking forward to scifi goofy vikings, LETS GO!

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Not that I have that itch but it doesn't scratch the AC itch by any means.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
It's really great. It's fantastic. Fun to play and explore in Japan. It's all I've ever wanted in a game.