• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about the PSP?

• I like it

Votes: 119 22.3%
  • I love it

Votes: 326 61.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 45 8.4%
  • It's fine, I neither like or dislike it

Votes: 34 6.4%
  • I wasted money on UMD's.

Votes: 9 1.7%

• Total voters

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear, Star Ocean, Crisis Core, Street Fighter Alpha 3 (which I still suck at), and homebrew. Yes, I have fond memories of it.

Until I got a smartphone large enough and a controller, it was my main source of portable emulation. I've long since ditched the actual system in favor of playing the games via PPSSPP, but it's the system that gave me the third best Metal Gear Solid story (Portable Ops, yeah I said it), so I'll always love that thing.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hell yeah man, getting one was a journey!
I ended up gettin a Fat from my mother's ex, one with the analogue stick missing the top, it was already shit when I got it but I loved it!

oh jfc, not only the games. I loved the homebrew scene for the PSP.

I remember spending hours setting my own custom themes; the crazier, the better.

This honestly.
I know piracy is illegal and all, but at the time the homebrew scene actually got me into looking how it works, navigating forums, doing kernel stuff and so on, such a formative experience! And I got to download games that otherwise would not have been accessible for me, either because of budget or region.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Hell yeah, I took it with me everywhere I went!
It was a great console, so many great memories of playing Crisis Core, KH: Birth By Sleep, Dissidia, Persona 3 Portable, etc.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the psp collectors editions of games, just looked up my persona 3 portable order and it cost £25.

The digital version still costs that in the store.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the undeserved no games reputation the psp had back in the days. Finally people are waking up on how good the library actually was.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Played my cousins PSP along with my friends back in 2004-2006, and it was amazing. Didn't get one myself until about 2009, but the hacked version was mind-blowing to me.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Oh and the PSP did remote play with PS3, and could play downloaded PS1 games. Don't remember if it supported all PS3 games, but it was still cool.

Oct 27, 2017
I had a few games for it which I enjoyed (Chains of Olympus, Patapon, FF7 Crisis Core, and the Metal Gear Solid games), but overall don't have any real memories with the system.

It seemed like quite an outdated design at the time and I never thought there were any games that really made me want to own the system. The best thing about it was getting to play the PS1 games.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
How can I forget the machine that had me doing this

1Pj6En5.png

Unfortunately I can't remember too many games outside of MH, patapon and crisis core. I remember trying to like Jeanne D'arc. I still probably put in over 2000 hours between Freedom 2, Unite and portable 3rd though. Playing with mates and trying to get on with xlink kai.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I'm definitely going for replacement now. The PSP is one of my favorite consoles of all time and hands down the best handheld ever.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

Falling through the city for the first time was like walking in 3D space for first time in Mario 64. Other than Gravity Rush 2 there hasn't been any other game that quite gets the same feeling. Little did I know it will become one of my favourite Sony IPs.
Sjz9rUz.jpg

Edit. I'm an idiot. Mod shame commence!

Last edited:

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Love the PSP. Still use a custom firmware 2000 as my goto emulator machine.
I actually own a few PSP's. It's my favourite "classic" handheld.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Peace Walker was such a great game. I had CFW on my PSP and used it to play all of my SNES backups which was great back then compared to any other solutions.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I got my PSP in 2008 and had plenty of games on there like Half Minute Hero, MGS Peace Walker as well as Ac!d!

Overall it wasn't my favourite system but it was great fun to play, Vita I think is a better system that improved on almost everything but sadly that didn't work out sales wise.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I loved mine. I remember it didn't come out in the UK for ages so I ordered an import model with a copy of Ridge Racer. I remember being blown away by the quality of it. Not only that the machine itself was fantastic. It felt like a really premium piece of electronics, not just a games machine.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
Looking back the only notable stuff I remember is Lumines and later on MGS. Everything else is just a blur to me.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Lumines on release day was a revelation. It looked like something from the future. I absolutely loved that machine.

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
I loved mine. I was hyped for months leading up to the release, I had the money saved up and ordered a release unit. I remember sitting on the couch and playing PoPoLoCrois and just loving every second of it.
My PSP collection is actually pretty large, the system had so many good games. I also bought a white PSP 2000 down the line and it's still one of my most played consoles I think.

Sadly the batteries in both my PSP bloated and I had to toss them.

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
Falling through the city for the first time was like walking in 3D space for first time in Mario 64. Other than Gravity Rush 2 there hasn't been any other game that quite gets the same feeling. Little did I know it will become one of my favourite Sony IPs.
Sjz9rUz.jpg
Isn't Gravity Rush on Vita, not PSP.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I was much more of a DS guy, and still am, but the PSP had a TON of awesome games when you look back on it.

And playing games like SOCOM online with friends on a handheld was mind blowing at the time.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the PSP. Even though I generally used it as a game machine, it was my main portable music/comic/video/net browser prior to getting an iPad Touch several years later.

Too bad it's hard to get a decent battery for it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I beat God of War: Chains of Olympus so many times on there. Also had a UMD copy of Borat lol.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I had a DS Lite and a healthy amount of games but my house got broken into and someone stole the DS but left the majority of the games, so I took them to EB and traded them in and got a used PSP with Crisis Core. It was the only PSP game I ever played and kind of forgot. I moved to a house that was very much a party house where we would just have open house parties every week and I guess at some point someone stole it because I just never saw it again.

Great console

BKLorenzo

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
What a sexy piece of hardware...and with a great list of games!

Mine still works perfectly and I use it to play Yu-Gi-Oh :)

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Loved the console to death, too many underrated games unfortunately and the rampant piracy destroyed its chances of everlasting glory. I clocked over 2000h on MHFU+Portable3rd alone, playing with friends on the AdHoc app on PS3.

Lots of quirky games like Patapon, then you had the "serious business" games like Peace Walker, the Megaman and Ghouls n Ghosts.... the VITA could've been *THE definitive* handheld (for it's time) if only Sony was smart enough to build on the PSP strenghts... but alas.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
With PS3 remote play, listening to music, watching movies, etc. Some great games that were way too much criticised because they didn't look as good as PS3.

Damn the PSP was an incredible device, in many ways more futuristic than my actual Switch.