• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about the PSP?

• I like it

Votes: 119 22.3%
  • I love it

Votes: 326 61.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 45 8.4%
  • It's fine, I neither like or dislike it

Votes: 34 6.4%
  • I wasted money on UMD's.

Votes: 9 1.7%

• Total voters
Dec 2, 2017
I listened to a cane & rinse podcast on the PSP recently

caneandrinse.com

In our latest single format special, Leon, Chris, James and Leah review "The Walkman of the 21st Century", Sony's PlayStation Portable.

In our latest single format special, Leon, Chris, James and Leah review "The Walkman of the 21st Century", Sony's PlayStation Portable.

And they only got one user post about the PSP. PSP seems to be relatively overlooked as a console. It feels as though it was considerably overshadowed by the DS. However, I love the PSP hardware for one, I think its gorgeous.

03e2bf4c-f72c-4e50-9f2d-704894d2695e

I loved the hardware in 2005, and I love it now.

Sony tried to go all digital with the PSP. Didn't work, but the Go is also a lovely piece of gaming kit

71vRLxkhY8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Whilst UMD was a weird failure, and its multimedia capabilities were definitely made redundant by the iPod and imminent release and take up of various smartphone models, I know I used my PSP for music, video, and photos back in the day. I also have a huge nostalgic soft spot for UMD's, despite, in retrospect, their quality being pretty rubbish.

And of course, the games. The PSP had a 1300+ game strong library. Whilst a lot of it has been ported to other platforms, some of it remains exclusive on the PSP.

Two God of War games.
Two Syphon Filter games
Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker
Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII
Lumines
A jak & Daxter game, and a daxter spinoff.
Same for ratchet & clank
Lumines
The Patapon series.
The LocoRoco series
A whole bunch of great final fantasy remakes, including 1,2,4, and tactics.
A bunch of monster hunter games
Two Grand Theft Auto games
Two exclusive Wipeout games
A kingdom hearts prequel
An exclusive Resistance game
An exclusive Killzone game
An exclusive Assassins Creed game
A bunch of Ape Escape games

And stuff I'm probably forgetting.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ace Combat PSP Memories! beautiful. Even Gran Turismo running on it at 60fps was pretty incredible. Loved Killzone on it too, same with the Metal Gear titles. Flood of memories here!

Jun 23, 2019
Played Project Diva for the first time on a hacked PSP. It'll always have a special place in my heart. So many great games (including MH Freedom Unite).

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to play Socom Fireteam Bravo 2 multiplayer practically 16 hours a day with this little headset

41h1nJXkhLL._SR600,315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So many good times with that game

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
so many long flights learning the "claw" to 100% Peacewalker and Crisis Core :D

Final Fantasy IV Definitive Edition, two great God of War prequels, Tekken 5, Wipeout Pulse & Pure, Tactics Ogre, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles...

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Ace Combat X, Killzone Liberation, Persona 3P, GTA Liberty City Stories, NFS Underground, MGS: Peace Walker. ahhhh man i need to charge it up and play it again.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I borrowed a friend's to play Chains of Olympus, and had it hooked up to the TV (which was a feature more handhelds should have had). That's the totality of my experience with it. I ended up playing some of the games that were on it later though via remasters or compilations for the PS3.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Persona 3 Portable, FF Tactics WOTL, Tactics Ogre, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, Lunar Silver Star Harmony, Metal Gear Acid 1+2, Jeanne d'Arc, CRUSH, Patapon, Locoroco, Ace Combat X, the entire PS1 library. Yup, it was amazing.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
oh jfc, not only the games. I loved the homebrew scene for the PSP.

I remember spending hours setting my own custom themes; the crazier, the better.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Was never in love with the device itself, a lot of that due to the weird design of the thumb-thing (rough against the skin), but as just an FFT/Tactics Ogre-playing machine, it was well worth the money. I still get plenty of mileage out of it just for those two games alone.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together and Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions, so good!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of nostalgia for the little thing. It was essentially the last time we got regular output from JRPG devs because the capabilities were that perfect sweetspot where you could either have something verging on PS2 quality...

latest

(Crisis Core)

Or something more pared back and 2D...

644903-920817_20050304_002.jpg

(Tales of Eternia)

... and both would sell well and get the same treatment from critics and audiences.

I have extremely fond memories of playing Birth by Sleep for the first time on the move to my university dorm.

That said, the controls were a bit clunky and the UMD drive was a little too loud. Plus the last time I dug my PSP out the battery looked like it was about to explode, I'd make sure to check on that if you've got one sitting in a closet.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
A lot about the PSP worked great.

and the 3rd party support was incredible.

Unfortunately, the Digital storefront failed to get some key games in the US (FF1, FF2, Crisis Core, Birth By Sleep, among many others from the early days).

Ultimately, what killed the PSP was the absolute thrashing it got by running unlicensed code. Huge install base, but by the last two years of use I was the only person i know actually buying games for the console.

Still have summon night 5 and Class of Heroes 2 sealed.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I hated it back in the day. My family got one and for some reason, we barely got any games for it. I subsisted on mostly just Archer Macleans Mercury, some Snooker game, FF1 and Crisis Core. For the longest time, I was just under the impression it had no games until I actually looked into it myself and realised I was missing out on so much. Funnily enough, a similar thing happened with the Vita where I basically just used it to play VLR, Danganronpa and P4G thinking that was pretty much all it had to offer until I realised years later it actually had a pretty decent library and is a great little portable device, especially with homebrew, even something as simple as SD2Vita helps that device out so much.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The PSP felt so ahead of its time. That screen put the Nintendo handhelds' screens to shame, and UMD felt like the future, even though it wasn't.

I loved the tall narrow cases, and their super narrow instruction manuals.

And we got a PoPoLoCrois game on it, released in NA <3

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Loved that thing! Was an absolute solid handheld, definitely gave the DS a run for its money and for my time

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
loved my PSP. great library of games, and the hardware was way ahead of its time.

the PSP+DS were the best generation for handheld gaming, it's a shame that gen will never be topped.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
3rd best handheld console after DS and GBA.

Remember playing Peace Walker and Dissidia till my thumbs got sore.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I have equally fond memories of my PSP 1000 (RIP) both as a games machine and a portable multimedia machine.

Hell, I remember downloading and copying a bunch of Giantbomb's Persona 4 Endurance Run videos on it back in the day.

One hell of a little machine.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have mine more than a few months but enjoyed it while I had it. Only suffered because there were simply too many DS games to play 2007-2010

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
PSP blew my mind back in the day. Didn't know a game like gta could be played on the go until my dad bought Vice city stories back in 06

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Dracula X Chronicles for the first time was pretty sweet.

Although they should have brought that along with Dracula X Collection, which was disappointing.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I have very fond memories of mine. Playing Midnight Club 3 after school, trying out the different demo UMDs that came with it (Spiderman 2 was included!), and afterwards it became an awesome emulation machine. The PSP was pretty great.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really liked it. I turned it into an emu machine later on, but it was great in its own right. I loved the DS too, that was just a great time for portable machines.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
It gave me Crisis Core, one of my all time favorites, so yeah, I like the PSP.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it, I have a lot of nostalgia for both it and the DS. to this day Dissidia and Peace Walker are two of the games I most put hours in my life

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
The over 1000 hours I spent on Duodecim would make it easily my most played game of all time if it wasn't beaten by League of Legends. I loved that little thing and I even have a hacked Go and a relatively recently hacked Vita to honor its memory, even if I hardly play them now.

Of all the handhelds, PSP is by far my favorite, with Vita as a close second.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i remember going to the metreon with my parents on opening week to buy one. got a dead pixel the same week lmao

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had the original model PSP and was really disappointed at how uncomfortable it was. The system had some great games but that really reduced my enjoyment. It wasn't until the Vita that I really liked playing PSP games.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The classic homebrew system, so many games to play in the palm of your hand along with the entire PS1 library. Definitely not how I anticipated using it but I got so many hours out of it.

I only own 3 PSP games lmao. The library didn't appeal to me a ton but I certainly made my own fun.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
So to put my opinion in perspective, I've never really enjoyed a portable format more than a console/PC format. Not for any consistent amount of time at least until the Switch which has a giant screen and I got one of those grips for it so I don't get hand cramps. So I'm almost 40 now and I finally found a portable that doesn't lose a lot what I like about the console experience - hooray!

I bought a PSP 1000 at launch and it was decent. I liked Wipeout Pure and Lumines but the other launch games were pretty mediocre. The load times were pretty brutal and at that time it didn't look like there was a lot coming out for the system that weren't just truncated versions of console games so I ended up selling it.

I later bought a PSP Go because the form factor was pretty damn sexy but that too collected dust after a while.

I truly think the Vita was just a much better system and enjoyed that more except for that damn memory card problem.