• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
Personally I'd hope paddles akin to those on the Xbox Elite controller or Steam Controller are made standard.

Last edited:

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty satisfied with my Switch controllers and considering it's a new console, I think I'll be fine.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope both Sony and MS come standard with something comparable to the XBX Elite controller.

But no, I don't expect them to be very different.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
With the Elite version being available, I'm hoping Microsoft makes the old controllers compatible with their new machine.

I don't think anyone will buy those high end controllers if they're going to be replaced every gen.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have no particular expectation.
I do have a desire for Microsoft to put gyro in their controller so that that can be standardized across all manufacturers and developers will be more keen to implement that in their games, particularly shooters.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I expected:
  • Nintendo's controller will be different, as always.
  • Sony is the same.
  • Microsoft is the same.
  • Steam controllers are a bit different, but mostly the same design principles.
  • Retro console controllers are definitely going to be the same, but may be different in size/scale.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i want the switch controller with a better dpad for the next nintendo system.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Controllers are good money makers so I do expect enough change to justify dropping or limiting forward compatibility of current controllers.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Playstation should finally accept that the analog position on the Nintendo and Xbox controller is superior. You only like it because PS nostalgia FIGHT ME.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, not much. The controllers I think will stay the same for the most part. I'm fine with them right now.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm actually expecting more features like coloured lights and touchpads that won't actually be used much.
Paddles sound cool though, it would be nice if it were a standard.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno what Nintendo will do, but I expect some features from the Elite controller to be included in the regular Xbox controller.
As for the DualShock 5, better rumble, better battery life, and very minor tweaks to things like the grip and the shoulder/triggers

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Microsoft or Sony will change their controllers all that much. As long as folks are locked into the functionality of them, I doubt they'll rock the boat and change them up that much. Players are comfortable with them and I don't see them changing it.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
I would love for the DualShock 5 to finally be erognomically sound and not aggravate my RSI (probably swap stick positions, maybe make it as comfortable to hold as the Xbox controller?) but I know that's never going to happen.

I anticipate that Microsoft will produce a new controller, even if its structure is pretty similar to the current controller. Maybe update its inscrutable menu/double square buttons to be something more sensible. Copying Sony and making one a dedicated "Share" button would be smart and seems inevitable.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Xbox will probably stay the same. I could see DS4 changing, since not many devs really use the touch pad for anything.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, personally I'd like to see optional paddles become standard. Wouldn't mind gyro control becoming standard as well.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you, OP. Paddles as a standard would be incredible. Modular sticks would be a welcome addition as well; let us use taller or shorter sticks.

I also don't expect Dual Shock 5 to feature a large track pad.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They'll change so that they can more easily justify selling everyone 4 more pieces of plastic for $70 each

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DualShock needs to drop the weird convex stick interior and dramatically improve the triggers and overall build quality.

But yeah, all the controllers we have now are mostly fine. The last genuinely awful pad was the DualShock 3 last gen and Sony mostly fixed that. They'll only swap them out with new incrementally improved hardware.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Idk what I expect but I'd like them to make the DS4 not feel like a happy meal toy and improve the analog sticks as well as the triggers specifically. And for the love of god remove the lightbar and trackpad.

As for the Xbox controller, it's almost perfect. Maybe add a button specifically for screenshots/recording and improve the already good dpad.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's controller needs replaceable, rechargable batteries. Tired of always having to plug in my DS4. Not to mention anything that doesn't let you replace the batteries will have a limited shelf life. Use and age will make them obsolete.

Xbox needs to keep the replaceable batteries but include rechargeable ones in the box.

Switch controller is great, maybe some proper triggers?