• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Or it's not for them and they don't see it as a miss.

Of course it's not a miss for them, but it sure is a miss for Switch owners. Genre diversity is still shit on Switch, some genres are underrepresented and others are way too many. Even ports of last gen games could improve its library and EA has lots of them.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly besides Sims, FIFA and pvz I don't see EA caring to release anything on Nintendo consoles anymore.
It seems they believe N users are an overlap with their PS4/Xbox/PC users and so therefore no need for an extra port.

Now capcom on the other hand... Where they heck is AA? MHP?
Their pricing strategy on switch is the more baffling thing I have seen this gen.

Oct 27, 2017
I think they just put all their eggs into frostbite and that bit them in the ass coz they didn't want to get it working on switch at first, and stick to bad bets when the writing is on the wall and admit they were wrong. Like releasing a Destiny like game 5 years later in Anthem when console GaaS is saturated, forcing their third person games (DA:I and ME:A) to run frostbite and now watching multiple major third parties do well on switch with their only title being what, fifa?

Madden, PvZ would do well on switch, and they have plenty of last gen or mobile games they could port but they just don't want to do it.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Madden would sell more than 50k on Switch, that's a really dumb comparison. Would it sell less than PS4/Xbox One versions? Sure, probably. Enough to be worth doing? Also probably.
Cool, and if that number were 500k? 5 million? Do you know what it needs to be to be considered successful? I don't, so let's not worry about the number that I just made up.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other than mobile games, what can they being over to the Switch?

Most of their games are focused on high end graphics and online so a downport would remove the graphic draw and the portability will gp against the online presence. I am no business man but this sounds like spending a lot for very little gain.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Other than mobile games, what can they being over to the Switch?

Most of their games are focused on high end graphics and online so a downport would remove the graphic draw and the portability will gp against the online presence. I am no business man but this sounds like spending a lot for very little gain.

They can just as easily port over last gen ports like Capcom/Namco been doing for Switch. They have no excuses

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder if they are contractually obligated to release FIFA on the system.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I just don't think they want to spend the money to scale Frostbite (an already hard to work with engine according to everyone that isn't DICE) and they don't have a backup engine or don't want to give Epic money.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can just as easily port over last gen ports like Capcom/Namco been doing for Switch. They have no excuses
Thwy haven't even done that for the PS4/XBO so I am noy sure why you would expect that.

Theor strategy is abput moving forward instead of ports (even though I would love to see Dead Space ported to current gen).

Nov 1, 2017
I view it as two things

1. EA can't push around Nintendo, Nintendo does it's own thing. Due to EA's properties it's been able to get rid of rival titles and do what they want. Not so much with Nintendo who refuses to let any company, especially a third party dictate anything to them. EA naturally does not like this. It's use to getting it's way as a big fish.

2. MORE POWER. EA like a lot of companies tend to view cutting edge technology the only true path. They don't want to bother with older tech even if there is a huge untapped audience. Why bother with less powerful alternatives when there is newer sources available. Even if those newer techs require greater and greater resources that has doomed smaller companies or forced some to merge.

Put them together and it leaves them not the biggest fans of the big N or it's direction.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They released Mass Effect 3 at the same time as a cheaper ME Trilogy was coming out to the other consoles and then complained about the lack of sales.

If not hate then just blind stupidity.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Of course it's not a miss for them, but it sure is a miss for Switch owners. Genre diversity is still shit on Switch, some genres are underrepresented and others are way too many. Even ports of last gen games could improve its library and EA has lots of them.
What genre diversity would EA bring exactly that isn't already on the platform?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gee, I wonder what they could port over? (Looks at Mirrors Edge, Mass Effect Trilogy, Dead Space Trilogy, PvZ, NFS: MW2012, etc)

🤔

exactly. Madden would actually sell (I

You mean the games they didn't largely bother to even port to PS4 and Xbox One? If PS4 couldn't get those games, clearly EA isn't interested in doing many ports and remasters.

Didn't even bother porting Mirror's Edge or Mass Effect as lead ins to their sequels. The only real one that sticks out is maybe Battle for Neighborville, though that's still a Frostbite game and might be an issue.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you but that's been a nintendo problem for generations.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
That's not a genre. Switch gets mediocre annualized sports games already thanks.

FPS? WRPG? Battle Royale? Mobile puzzlers? Arcade racers? City builders? I'm not not seeing much genre diversity EA can bring that isn't already on the system?
I would argue that Madden is a radically different experience compared to FIFA or NBA2K.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Thwy haven't even done that for the PS4/XBO so I am noy sure why you would expect that.

Theor strategy is abput moving forward instead of ports (even though I would love to see Dead Space ported to current gen).
They have announced to bring some remasters to consoles, so maybe a Switch version is in the cards too.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
My 2 cents:

EA has a vision of continued revenue from subscriptions and GaaS. That model requires a substantial set of games and services that EA has built trough several years on PC, XB and PC and all efforts are directed toward this model. There have nothing (substantial) on Switch and this late stage of their plan is too late to start building it. For instance, their indie and SP programs are directed to increase the value of their subscription service, but on Switch they cannot launch a subscription service. Yet, because the switch does not has their service they see little value on developing such games for the system. A real chicken and egg situation.

Finally, they think that their cloud technology will either solve the issue or kill the Switch ecosystem outright.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell are they going to port over?
An investor even asked for The Sims 4. Also, the Switch is no strange of getting ports of freemium mobile games, so titles like PvZ3 or Apex Legends (mobile) would also work. A reworked version of last gen Madden like they did for FIFA, perhaps? And those are the low hanging fruits. If they want to do some real investment, Switch just got Overwatch, so Garden Warfare would be akin to it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I would argue that Madden is a radically different experience compared to FIFA or NBA2K.
Sure but is it a genre diverging experience?

I just find it weird to decry genre diversity on Switch and hold up EA as the answer to that. I mean EA puts out under 10 games a year and all in genres already present on the platform. Nevermind that basically every other western pub is throwing decent support Switch's way already.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In the past EA actively avoided Nintendo's platforms which likely led to their present day company culture where Nintendo is almost completely irrelevant to their business plans, and the more time passes the more difficult it is to break the status quo.

In short, they don't hate each other but also don't have nearly enough desire to work together. For EA it's something they've had to do, and for Nintendo it's not worth chasing one stubborn publisher when they can invest their resources where it's actually worth it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So why doesn't EA see value or opportunity in their games on Switch when Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft, Take Two and Bethesda all do? Why aren't other western publishers avoiding the platform like EA appears to be?

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they could. But their active hate towards Nintendo shows they would not.

Weird way of saying they do not think investing in that platform will be profitable to a degree that they would be comfortable with (but who knows, maybe they're developing for the Switch and we just don't know it.)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I don't. I just know that comparing Madden to a NIS rpg is not even remotely realistic.
Anyway, the original intent of my post was in response to the one that said that plenty of other games sold well on Switch and to point out that "sold well" is relative. I specifically chose an egregious example to illustrate that, and that's all.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway, the original intent of my post was in response to the one that said that plenty of other games sold well on Switch and to point out that "sold well" is relative. I specifically chose an egregious example to illustrate that, and that's all.
Still, by all metrics the switch is a healthy system with good software sales. We are not talking about the 3DS here, let alone the Wii U.

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
They don't "care" because nobody buys their games on Switch. Problem is, when the company is putting out consistently half-baked products on the Switch (such as FIFA 20), can we really blame people for not buying them?

EA gets what it deserves with the Switch. Crappy product, crappy sales.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure EA would sell babies to hungry bears if it made them a few more bucks.

Hard for me to believe they have any emotion over any of this.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Frostbyte not running on Switch is probably why.

It's business. I don't think anyone hates anyone

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This. Their analytics probably show its not worth it.

If i'm EA i'd rather trust my analytics than random people on ERA telling me sales will be fine.
Interesting that every other major publisher seems to have a differing set of analytics. Like Activision (Overwatch, Crash, Spyro, Diablo), Bethesda (Doom, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein), Take 2 (NBA2K, Civilization, Outer Worlds), Ubisoft (Rayman, Just Dance, Assassin's Creed, Rabbids), Microsoft (Minecraft, Ori), Epic (Fortnite, Rocket League), THQ, 505, CDPR and so on. I wonder what EA sees that basically no one else does?

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Weird way of saying they do not think investing in that platform will be profitable to a degree that they would be comfortable with (but who knows, maybe they're developing for the Switch and we just don't know it.)
Trust me, I would absolutely love to eat my words if they turned around tomorrow and said, "Hah, we've been working on PvZ and SSX for the Switch all along!" But the likelihood ain't looking too great.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Indifferent might be more accurate. Apathetic. It's weird. They do lip service for their investors every time a new Nintendo system comes out and then setup a situation where they can do the most minimal of effort and then bounce when their predetermined outcome, games not doing well or not being well received, comes to pass. That way they don't have to bother anymore going forward. Sometimes when the game is well done EA will go out of their way to make sure it doesn't do well.

Whatever reason they just don't care and don't care to try and don't want others under them really trying either. I do tend to think it's more then just a cost vs profit situation. The sabotage that sometimes appears to take place stops them from making money. I do think it's personal for someone there.

I keep looking at The Sims. Full portable version of that game would fly off shelves. Look at Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life. The Nintendo audience alone would eat it up. Then you have all the hardcore Sims players. You allow cross saves and damn. Like that is straight up easy money being left on the table.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what EA sees that basically no one else does?
EA has seen poor sales for the biggest game on the planet on the device and decided it's just not worth it. They literally said we'll put Fifa on it and then decide about other game.

Well Fifa sales clearly disappointed them.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
So why doesn't EA see value or opportunity in their games on Switch when Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft, Take Two and Bethesda all do? Why aren't other western publishers avoiding the platform like EA appears to be?

Because the gaming world is big enough that a company don't need to have their products on every platform.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
EA has seen poor sales for the biggest game on the planet on the device and decided it's just not worth it. They literally said we'll put Fifa on it and then decide about other game.

Well Fifa sales clearly disappointed them.
They said the opposite about FIFA to investors and it's results being positive. Also 19 apparently outsold 18 so it was rising in sales, 20 will almost certainly plummet thanks to being prematurely Legacied.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Because the gaming world is big enough that a company don't need to have their products on every platform.
I mean, okay, but Switch is also the best selling console in EA's largest market right now. This isn't like Dreamcast, Vita or Wii U here.

When only EA is the one behaving this way it raises questions.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Of course not. That's just a lazy theory put out by people who will not reason.

Most EA games run on Frostbite, which has not yet been ported to the Switch . They will
Not jettison the engine they've invested so much in.

In an ideal world, Nintendo should be working with EA and providing as much tech support to help get Frostbite running well on the Switch. That's something both Sony and Microsoft have done repeatedly to get games running on their hardware. But Nintendo can't be arsed to do that.

This - and other difficult ports - is a harsh reality of Nintendo choosing to go with relatively low powered hardware. Perhaps EA could devote more effort and resources to the port. Perhaps Nintendo could do more to support. But it's nothing as silly as 'EA hates Nintendo'