• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do we need e3?

• yes

Votes: 74 44.6%
  • no

Votes: 92 55.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Or can we replace it with widely disseminated trailers? And game developer streams a la Borderlands 3 or Ghost Recon Breakpoint? Is there really an intrinsic benefit for having e3?

Oct 25, 2017
E3 week is consistently when most eyes are on the industry. Twitch / YouTube views during the expo skyrocket. Theoretically you could still have that without the convention, but I think the convention is the reason people pay attention in the first place and is the excuse for all these publishers to do something at the same time of year.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
As an industry event, yes because it allows publishers, developers and press from all around the world to gather in the same place and check their games/do business. As a public event, probably not so much.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Publishers love the big spectacle and hype of it. It's what PR departments love too.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Strictly speaking, no. It doesn't need to exist. But it's useful. Through years of effort, the companies involved have convinced us all to get together and be excited to watch marketing at a predictable time and place. It would be hard to justify killing that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From those recent leaks, I don't even think E3 has interest in the developer or publisher as they move to new layouts catered to influencers. It will probably become like PAX over the next few years.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, of course. Most publishers aren't Nintendo and haven't really built up this idea of pushing game news outside of normal conventions, so if they tried it, their announcements would likely not have as big an impact as during E3 where they know a ton of potential customers are watching.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yes I do. My name is Nintendo and I've been too shy to make a public appearance on the big stage lately, but trust me, I will return because that roar from the crowd in 2004 for Twilight Princess was WORTH IT.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
"Need"? No, not necessarily, there are many other ways publishers and/or manufacturers can talk about their products, just like Sony has shown us.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the publishers can all piggyback off of eachother for a high amount of eyes on their product. Even when publishers aren't there for a physical press conference, they typically show their stuff off around then. We've seen dedicated events like X0 and Playstation Experience not do as well regardless of content, same for stuff like whenever Microsoft has a bigger Gamescom thing. The Nintendo Directs at E3 always get way more attention paid to them too.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
E3 is a trade show and IIRC a big purpose of its existence is gaming/retailer/press relations. So I'ma say yes going by the title of "From perspective of publishers NOT FANS" and not the OP/poll which is very much from a fan perspective ("Do we need E3?" and talking strictly about trailers).

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there is more to E3 than just what the fans see. For the game industry, sure, for the fans or consumers, no.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
E3 is a trade show and IIRC a big purpose of its existence is gaming/retailer/press relations. So I'ma say yes going by the title of "From perspective of publishers NOT FANS" and not the OP/poll which is very much from a fan perspective ("Do we need E3?" and talking strictly about trailers).
I wanted to shorten the poll name

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Nobody needs E3, but publishers do get a lot out of it...

...or rather, they did. Today, most of them are starting to deliberately jump the gun on the conference by having pre-E3 reveals, and a lot of major announcements are now being made on the publisher's own time (see also: the rise of the Nintendo Direct). The E3-tier announcements are getting more sporadic overall, to the point where I kinda understood Sony's decision to just skip last year's conference. It's not easy to get a lot of good stuff ready, and E3 imposes quite the arbitrary deadline for all that.

(Not to say I won't miss it, though. Some conferences were incredible to watch. I know this is deliberately not what the topic asked, but as a fan, it really was quite the treat at times.)

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
It is a PR event so no we don't need it. They need it. The event has never been about us.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The big press events fans watch and associate with E3 aren't actually held during E3, or at any E3 venue, and the convention is unrelated to them. And I don't think they ever have been, the convention center provides booths and offices, not audience venues. Their timing is the only thing linking them to E3.

I don't think the E3 convention has any use anymore. Back in the day, E3 was useful as a place to hold business meetings between companies, because all the companies were there. But these days there are plenty of easy ways for businesses to meet and communicate over the internet. And same with media access to games, the game publishers/developers can easily demo things over the internet, and there are easy ways to get demos to the press, if they wish to do so. Not to mention that the game media isn't as important these days either, it's more about Youtubers.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's easier to generate hype and show your games when the whole press focuses on few days of an industry expo. If you would spread out all E3 announcements and trailers over the whole year then the overall visibility and generated hype would end up beeing much less. Other events like the GamesCom are consumer expos.

On paper fans do not really profit at all from an E3 but in the end people also love to get hyped up which causes them to do loads of free PR for the publishers.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
From a publisher's perspective, E3 is still very much needed. Only E3 gets the amount of mainstream exposure that it does, and only E3 gets this much live streaming and social media buzz. Publishers and developers can use E3 to show off a game to consumers that don't normally see their content. Retailers are in attendance, which isn't common for other gaming events, so that's even more necessary promotion and advertising that developers and publishers can use. E3 press events probably generate more advertising and buzz than anything else in the year.

From a fan's perspective, it's a constant stream of gaming news all year, making E3 look like it's simply part of the crowd. But from a gaming business/industry perspective, it's an advertising, PR and media giant.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
No. Nintendo was ahead of the curve with just pushing out Nintendo directs. Sony's now caught on as well. You are able to target a greater audience to convenience of a simple stream/video and its extremely cost-efficient in not having to schedule around X time in flying out to another country.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Having a big media blowout once a year before the summer is good overall, imo.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of reaching your audience and target market, no. But the event isn't something I'd want to see disappear from our gaming calendar.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
No. Nintendo was ahead of the curve with just pushing out Nintendo directs. Sony's now caught on as well. You are able to target a greater audience to convenience of a simple stream/video and its extremely cost-efficient in not having to schedule around X time in flying out to another country.

Nintendo still does events, though, like Treehouse Live and the Smash tournament. They also release their Direct during E3 every year. So they haven't really given up on E3, they just aren't doing the old press conference format.

E3 is the only time of year a lot of mainstream news outlets and gamers pay attention, so it is pretty much the best opportunity for companies to get their marketing out there.