• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will it continue?

• It's dead.

Votes: 199 27.0%
  • It's possible.

Votes: 426 57.7%
  • Definitely.

Votes: 113 15.3%

• Total voters

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I voted, "it's dead", but I think it saying, "it's possible" is probably more accurate.

I think it all depends on how well Cyberpunk executes on the immersive sim aspects of the game. I think if the game is more action heavy, it could leave room for another Deus Ex game.

Another thing to consider is the mindshare that Cyberpunk will command. It makes you wonder if there will be any room for a Deus Ex like game in the future?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Still a good IP so I'm sure it'll come back eventually. Unfortunately I doubt it'll be for a while, and if that's the case it's unlikely it'll continue Jensen's story.

If they don't finish Jensen history I know I'll skip the next Deus Ex entry.
Not only because is fucked up to leave an arc open like they did so far with Jensen but also because I'll not trust them to follow the next arc they built up!

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
There will definitely be another Deus Ex, just loke there will be another Mass Effect. The IP is valuable, it's just a question of what direction they take it.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My vote is that it's dead. Eidos MTL will probably be busy doing the Avengers and post-launch will be a big commitment if it lands well at release.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I voted probably, I personally loved HR and MD they were not as good as they could have been I felt they both needed more development time especially MD, HR was best of the two. What I really would like to see is a full blown remake of the original as I never played the original back in the day. I bought IW on launch and well....IW was not a good game it kinda put me off wanting to play the original back when IW was released, I made a bad call but I don't feel like playing such an old game now.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
As much as I'd love to see where the Jensens story would go after the second game I think the series is gonna get a long break whether we like it or not.

Personally I really like both of the newer entries in the series and I'm sad to see it go by the wayside for now. Maybe some time to breath and come back swinging is what the series needs though so I'm hopeful for the future.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Square has been saying its not dead for the last 2 years. But it's probably gonna be a long time before we see it thanks to the dumb super hero games

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deus ex should never die. I know they won't, but maybe they should sell the rights to someone else, and Thief too while they're at it. Sell them to developers that care.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
SE doesn't know how to make a WRPG to compete with Cyberpunk. Not that they ever knew, but they made damn sure their western studios weren't going to learn by tying them to bland franchises under orders of becoming the "mee too" flavor of the month.

It's all GAASpocalypse from now on.

Oct 27, 2017
My Deus Ex... what have they done to you? My Jensen... multiple-path options, remote-hackable mechs, hacking into someone's email while synths pump into my ears... I miss it, all of it. Fuck them dime store Avengers.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
If you're an AAA studio executive, why would you invest $50m into a series that is 1) single-player, 2) doesn't have a great revenue tail, and 3) just underperformed on its last game when you could instead put that money into a Marvel cash cow game as a service that might make you hundreds of millions and be a consistent stream of long-term revenue?

If I were Square Enix I'd take the Private Division approach and greenlight some lower-budget sequels to franchises like Deus Ex and Thief and that ridiculous library of JRPG IP that's just sitting there doing nothing, but shareholders and executives don't care about hitting singles or doubles - they want nothing but home runs.
We'll see what happens when their meme-bound game comes out in an Anthemic state and does wonders to their brand.

Don't put your eggs yadda yadda

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I see Deus Ex going the way of Splinter Cell, where every year we expect that this year's gotta be the year, the time is right, why wouldn't they do it... and then it never happens.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
If you're an AAA studio executive, why would you invest $50m into a series that is 1) single-player, 2) doesn't have a great revenue tail, and 3) just underperformed on its last game when you could instead put that money into a Marvel cash cow game as a service that might make you hundreds of millions and be a consistent stream of long-term revenue?

If I were Square Enix I'd take the Private Division approach and greenlight some lower-budget sequels to franchises like Deus Ex and Thief and that ridiculous library of JRPG IP that's just sitting there doing nothing, but shareholders and executives don't care about hitting singles or doubles - they want nothing but home runs.

I am curious how this is going to work out in a subscription-model future. If publishers are going to be like Netflix, wouldn't they need content every month? That's what the smaller-budget titles and sequels should serve. Are publishers likely to just let out-of-date shareholders destroy their business?

Not related to Square Enix, but I personally don't see the appeal of something like Origin Access right now. Anthem was months ago and the upcoming Star Wars is a single player game coming months from now. I guess it's fine if you really like Battlefield and Sports? I'd imagine EA would like more than that.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I hope they're taking time to really analyze and reflect on HR and MD and carefully craft the finale for the Jenson arc via a spectacular 3rd game. They're talented and I know they're capable of making something great but the changes from HR to MD weren't as great as they could have been. They expanded on a lot of the right systems and tuned up a lot of the mechanics though, and the level design speaks to their understanding of how DE games *should* be crafted. They just didn't push things far enough and take risks.

Though to be transparent here- I haven't completed HR or MD but got well into the both of them. I was really hoping for a remaster of HR so I could finish and I've been meaning to wrap up MD.

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019
Man do I hope so, Mankind Divided had amazing level design and art. Played the game well after launch and enjoyed it a ton. (Actually bought it cause I was hyped from the first 50min game play of 2077)

Deus Ex provides a pretty different interpretation of cyberpunk from 2077 as well, and I think it could successfully slipstream off of 2077's success (which I think will be huge) without seeming like a knockoff. I'd like to see them lean more into the more physical immersive sim game play of the Dishonored series to further differentiate it. Specifically the free flowing use of powers and melee combat that Dishonored has - I think this could be implemented seamlessly into Adam Jensen's world. (People seem to dislike the battery system anyways)

As far as immersive sims not being successful, its purely a marketing problem. To the casual viewer, there is no difference between a first person immersive sim and a first person rpg. Obviously the Elder Scrolls and Fallout do gangbusters so....Heck you could probably sell Deus Ex as just a narrative shooter.

(Bring back Acronym for the third game!)

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I think it will come back, though it'll probably be so far in the future that however 2077 does will be irrelevant. A release late next gen, or early next next-gen could be a possibility IMO.

Funny enough, if that was the case then the game might actually come out after the date that Human Revolution was set, that being 2027.

Bit bizarre that they chose a date so early honestly - apparently 8 years from now we're all going to have robotic arms and stuff?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

The inherent problem with this approach is the gold rush. They're all aiming to be that forever game that people should play as their one game. As we've seen, the market cannot support more than a few of these. There is a lot of risk in something like Avengers versus some mobile gacha game (though that market isn't as green as it used to be).

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guaranteed. I'd be shocked if the SE higher ups aren't already funneling money into a new Deus Ex project.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Just given the original game's status in gaming history, I imagine somebody will take a crack at the series again at some point, but how long and what form that game may take? Who knows!

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I never usually wish death upon a game but I hope Avengers becomes the next Anthem-like disaster so Eidos Montreal can finish Jensen's story off with one more game and move on.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more likely CP77 simply sets an impossibly high bar and makes a next Deus Ex game even less likely.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
It can easily make a comeback I think. Square Enix just needs to not be stupid about how it handles it. First thing is technically any new game can not have any problems. That was a big issue with Mankind Divided. They need to not obviously remove content to sell as DLC. It was so blatant what they did with Mankind Divided and inexcusable. They need to actually have realistic expectations about how its going to sell as well. I think it's also time to move on from Jenson and move the story forward. Void out Indivisible War if you have.

What I hope they won't do is copy whatever Cyberpunk ends up doing. If it's doing great things then be influenced by it but don't copy it.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on the success of Cyberpunk.Test the waters with an HD remaster of the first game before fully committing?

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on the success of Cyberpunk.Test the waters with an HD remaster of the first game before fully committing?
There are HD mods out there for the first game. A lot of mods I think that have come out over the years. Would seem like a waste to try and do an official one and it not hold up to what fans have already done. A full remake would be better but would rather a new entry instead. Or start a new world separate from the Jensen/Denton world.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Yes, I'm not buying what CDPR are selling until I get it in my hands. The hyperbole surrounding that first gameplay video from last years E3 was insane.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I think most other publishers are slowly learning that just because one game underperforms doesn't mean you need to drop the series forever. Square Enix is capable of learning that too, right?

Deleted member 43514

Banned
May 16, 2018
I strongly preferred HR to MD but MD had better combat by far. However This is why I still have hope. And there were too many unresolved threads from MD and HR that need to be tied up.

The Black Light novel strongly implies Adam is dead, at least legally. What about what we find in the Versalife Vault? What about Megan and the "missing aug" quests? Adam figures out Delanne is a Illumanti agent at the end (during the conclusion of the prison DLC). Is madame photographe, the red head who spied on Jensen the entire game of MD really Jenna Thorne? (How many pale skinned, henna-red haired female special agents with arm augs can there be?)

And the soundtrack is fucking amazing, particularly the ambient.

Vroadstar

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I bought Mankind Divided recently to tide me over before Cyberpunk releases and loving it so far

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they are pulling a Gearbox (using Aliens Colonial Marines money for Borderlands) and are using Avengers money for the next Deus Ex.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
If Cyberpunk 2077 does really well then I'm sure some suit at Square-Enix will demand Eidos reproduce that success.

But that would be once again learning the wrong lesson. Deus Ex is not a AAA franchise. It shouldn't be given a AAA budget and it shouldn't be expected to sell 6 million copies to break even.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
EM's main project is allegedly a Guardians of Galaxy game... so it pains me to say, but DX is likely on hiatus till like mid-2020s, at best.

Nothing new here really. Just Squeenix further mismanaging my beloved Eidos IPs, sadly.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I don't understand why so many people want to see what happens next with Jensen. Like I like Jensen, and I know MD leaves you hanging, but do you really care? Like really lol? I think it was a mistake to bring him back in the first place because it kind of shits on HR's ending regardless of how hard they tried to maintain ambiguity (because they failed to do so).

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why so many people want to see what happens next with Jensen. Like I like Jensen, and I know MD leaves you hanging, but do you really care? Like really lol? I think it was a mistake to bring him back in the first place because it kind of shits on HR's ending regardless of how hard they tried to maintain ambiguity (because they failed to do so).

Add to that these games are prequels. We know what happens cause we've seen it. Jensen fails to stop the illuminati, he fails to achieve literally anything.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I loved the original, loved HR(very different from the original but great in its own way) but I really didn't feel MD. It played better than HR, but the setting didn't feel as fun and the characters didn't stay with me. It was the "Eh it's there" game for me.

I didn't care up until I read up on the theory that

Jensen may have died at the end of HR and the Jensen we play as is a clone
because they could go some really interesting places with that and unshit on HR's ending. No idea if it's true or not because I didn't read super into it, but if they go with it I could see that being rad.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't SE mandate 2 teams make Deus Ex, one team worked on Mankind Divided, the other team called MD2 worked on the sequal of that? Whatever happened to the sequel in progress?