• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will it continue?

• It's dead.

Votes: 199 27.0%
  • It's possible.

Votes: 426 57.7%
  • Definitely.

Votes: 113 15.3%

• Total voters

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

Unless they do a better reboot of it I say let it lie, MD was such a slog imo.

I can't be the only one that finds Adam Jensen a boring character, JC Denton was better.

If they come up with a new character/storyline and design then sure.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're an AAA studio executive, why would you invest $50m into a series that is 1) single-player, 2) doesn't have a great revenue tail, and 3) just underperformed on its last game when you could instead put that money into a Marvel cash cow game as a service that might make you hundreds of millions and be a consistent stream of long-term revenue?

If I were Square Enix I'd take the Private Division approach and greenlight some lower-budget sequels to franchises like Deus Ex and Thief and that ridiculous library of JRPG IP that's just sitting there doing nothing, but shareholders and executives don't care about hitting singles or doubles - they want nothing but home runs.
I don't know, let us ask CDPR why they are investing a gazillion dollars in a single player Cyberpunk game based on an old tabletop RPG.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope so...Deus Ex MD, although an unfinished game with many problems in the main story, has some phenomenal moments in the main hub due to the level design. Can't get enough immersive sims.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
It's a double edged sword,it will either reinvigorate the genre or people will say that the next DE is a poor man's cyberpunk 2077 or something,because people are dumb.
I just need to know if MD Jensen is a clone and the real one is dead,so yeah i need another Jensen game to give him closure.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a related note, I always thought that the whole prequel angle for the rebooted series was kind of a strange misstep from the very beginning. I mean, you have a series fundamentally driven by conspiracies that the player gradually unravels and then you choose to present a story where the player already knows where it is going to lead – always seemed a bit pointless to me (though Human Revolution still turned out to be quite a good game in the end).

Still, they probably should have retconned Invisible War out of existence instead and continued the story as a sequel to the original Deus Ex.

I'm pretty sure they went prequel for design aesthetic reasons. They wanted mechanical augs, not the nanoware stuff as seen in the original and sequel.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, let us ask CDPR why they are investing a gazillion dollars in a single player Cyberpunk game based on an old tabletop RPG.
Because CDPR is significantly smaller and has a drastically different business model than Square Enix. For one, paying Polish wages means being able to make bigger games at cheaper costs. CDPR is also run by savvy executives who understand video games and know how to appeal to a massive audience of hardcore gamers, unlike most publishers, which are generally run by people who don't play or care about video games very much. And CDPR is likely aiming for Cyberpunk to sell tens of millions of units, which is a massive risk and one that most video game companies don't have the appetite to take.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Square Enix is only good at pushing Final Fantasy, it'd be a colossal waste of time and talent to make another one when it's guaranteed not to sell.

H0r0

Dec 18, 2017
I don't think there was anything wrong with the Dev, they made a great game in HR and improved the gameplay mechanics considerably for MD - the issues with the game (length, abrupt ending) stem from publisher meddling (SE).

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there was anything wrong with the Dev, they made a great game in HR and improved the gameplay mechanics considerably for MD - the issues with the game (length, abrupt ending) stem from publisher meddling (SE).

I don't know. They gave them what 4 years or more to work on that sequel? Doesn't seem entirely on the publishers end that the story tripped up.

Oct 25, 2017
Still a good IP so I'm sure it'll come back eventually. Unfortunately I doubt it'll be for a while, and if that's the case it's unlikely it'll continue Jensen's story.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I think it's very possible it comes back, but I don't think CP2077 has much to do with its chances - the hype around that is almost entirely "what the Witcher devs did next". It's a cool setting which obv adds to the excitement, but not in a way I'd expect to help any other cyberpunk game

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Probably not. Games that were inaccessible for a casual audience don't seem to do so well on sequels, and as somone who lives the recent two Deaus Ex's they couldn't be more difficult for a newcomer to get into.

That and Adam Jensen, while fun as he's meant to be an ironic cyber hipster/asshole, is probably off-putting in marketing when played straight in it.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i mean it will continue. mankind divided seemed like booty but whatever, they aint gonna just quit

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Crazy to think that in the post Cyberpunk 2077 world Deus Ex will be the underdog cyberpunk rpg but CDPR is really that far ahead of the competition.
Yeah what CP2077 is going for looks absolutely bonkers.

Only way a Deus Ex game could out do it is just going for a deep dive on every single gameplay system and ramping up player feedback in every form from NPC behaviour akin to MGSV to dramatically changing hubs/levels. (eg not sure you'll be able to blow up a building in Night City or remove electricity and have it permanently effect the story)

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked MD, LOVED the hub world. I'd like more of that again, preferably somewhere exotic (France, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc...).

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
As much as I would love to see them continue Deus Ex, like others said, its dead. As for this "because of Cyberpunk Hype", unless it was shelved part way or they've been working at it secretly like Nomura was on VS13, and especially knowing SE, they wouldn't have it out for another 5 years, in which this 'Cyberpunk Hype' would've blown over by then.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
What...? I mean, maybe they have something under development, but if they're just waiting around to see how Cyberpunk does, that would lead to way too long a dev cycle to capture any its hype. The idea of a game like that (ie, something with 3-4 years of dev time, minimum) trying to ride the coattails of another game is like...what?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Given the uncertain state of the IP, what are the chances Square sees renewed interest with 2077 being the next hotness?

I think it's possible. MD underperformed, and so did other similarly structured games like Prey and Dishonored. If that drop off has had any influence on Square's decision, then Cyberpunk's performance might absolutely influence them too. Assuming 2077 is a hit, I can see it being a positive for Deus Ex development interest.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Deus Ex will come back next gen. but they've got to drop Jensen. Enough already.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
What...? I mean, maybe they have something under development, but if they're just waiting around to see how Cyberpunk does, that would lead to way too long a dev cycle to capture any its hype. The idea of a game like that (ie, something with 3-4 years of dev time, minimum) trying to ride the coattails of another game is like...what?
I think the idea is the next Deus Ex team will be able to point to Cyberpunk and its sales numbers and say "we're trying to make THAT you IDIOTS" lol

Deus Ex will come back next gen. but they've got to drop Jensen. Enough already.
100% agree. Maybe an old man Jensen cameo at most. I want a whole new kind of protag, make us a MIB or something.

Last edited:

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
It can definitely come back but I'm not sure if it'll still be as a "Deus ex" game. I feel that if they ever decide to bring Deus Ex back, they'll try to go for a full open world rpg like Cyberpunk instead of a stealth-focused immersive sim.

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
I think so. Next-gen seems very likely.

Also they did say (if I recall correctly) that Deus Ex is very important to them (Eidos Montréal) and they want to go back to it eventually. So the proverbial lights are still on.

Plus it's an unfinished story, so there's an extra incentive there? That's a bit of a stretch though.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If you're an AAA studio executive, why would you invest $50m into a series that is 1) single-player, 2) doesn't have a great revenue tail, and 3) just underperformed on its last game when you could instead put that money into a Marvel cash cow game as a service that might make you hundreds of millions and be a consistent stream of long-term revenue?

If I were Square Enix I'd take the Private Division approach and greenlight some lower-budget sequels to franchises like Deus Ex and Thief and that ridiculous library of JRPG IP that's just sitting there doing nothing, but shareholders and executives don't care about hitting singles or doubles - they want nothing but home runs.

This is the same company that's also investing heavily in mid tier games too though. Their Western division are collectively working together on Avengers but what happens after they're done with that game? They'll go back to Deus Ex, since it does still well enough (Mankind Divided did pretty well, AFAIK, it just ran out of steam).

This is the same company investing in lesser known IPs like Mana (remakes, re-releases) and SaGa (new game, ports galore), as well as risky new IP that have been rather disastrous (Left Alive, The Quiet Man) after all. I'd say Square have the money to throw at a new Deus Ex. It's just gonna be a while (I'd guess around mid way though next gen we'll see it). This isn't a Mass Effect situation to me.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Plus it's an unfinished story, so there's an extra incentive there? That's a bit of a stretch though.
I think it is a bit of a stretch. Keep in mind that it is only Jensen's story that is unfinished. And I just somehow doubt he is that popular of a character. As for the global conspiracy side of things, they were already clearly setting up the beginning of the original Deus Ex in Mankind Divided. That story already has both an ending in the original DX and a follow up in Invisible War.

Not to mention that the plot of these games is convoluted enough that I doubt many will remember where exactly MD left things off. I don't think people are clamoring for a resolution to the one big unresolved cliffhanger at the end of that game the same way they have been with the Half Life series for over a decade. It'd still be nice to have a resolution to Jensen's eventual fate. The original remains king, but I liked Human Revolution, and unexpectedly I ended up enjoying Mankind Divided more than most. Prague was all sorts of awesome as a DX hub, and it ended up selling me on the more intimate scope of that game rather well.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
Just give me the end of Jensen's story. As an actual game or even a comic or a novelisation or a 2D adventure game, I don't care. I know many people don't care for him as a main character, but I'm pretty invested in his story.

I really think the series is dead, and if it comes back, it will likely be completely rebooted: we are getting a Guardians of the Galaxy game after Avengers. I do think that one way a miraculous sequel could differentiate itself from Cyberpunk is leaning into the spy-thriller part of its identity and let us explore more exotic and iconic locations.

Some have questioned why MD took so long to come out, but I think that largely it was engine troubles. The HR engine was old and was incapable of doing many things that they wanted to do: it was designed for Tomb Raider not RPGs. Their new engine was an in-house modification of the engine for the new Hitman games. As we have seen with many studios this gen, switching to a new engine can make as many problems as it solves.

Oct 29, 2017
I really didn't like a lot of the quest themes in MD. Mafiosos seemed so out of place for Deus Ex. The narrative pacing and progression was all over the place too. I really liked HR though. I would kill for a close remake of the original - thats probably the safest bet for Square too.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017

Single-player games can have great revenue tails, just look at Witcher 3. According to the official CD Projekt's financial reports, the profit from the sales of Witcher 3+expansions still (at least up until very recently) every month outweighed all their expenses, including the development of Cyberpunk 2077, Keanu Reeves and all. There are lots of other examples as well. Naturally, it's not a guaranteed outcome, but GAAS is far from a safe bet as well, just look at Anthem.

So this would indeed be a shortsighted AAA exec.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah maybe, and it'll probably take a LOT of inspiration from it. Like Witcher to Assassins Creed.

Dunno how I feel about that. I don't want immersive sims to die.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
The original being revered as one of the best games ever means that someone will eventually try and revive it to mine that status for whatever it's still worth at that point but I wouldn't sit around waiting for it. It'll be the length of time between Invisible War and Human Revolution at a minimum, and likely much longer.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Eidos need to let it cook for longer instead of just kicking it out of the door because that last game just kind of ended abruptly.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The "new" Deus Ex doesn't deserve to come back. They've fucked up the original storyline at least twice now. Just let it die.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they were smart they would've green lit a Dues Ex with a new protag and story. A jumping on point that can come out like a year after Cyberpunk and ride off the hype for those looking for something similar to cyberpunk.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
After that ending in MD, they better.

Their world building and nature of the world felt better and more dynamic in MD and than HR, respectively. I did like their story based DLCs, a lot.

I do wonder how their design scope will change after C2077 is released. If it remains more of the same, then it will be a sub $20 purchase for me.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the gameplay of MD, but it was a mess otherwise. The central conceit of the story was embarrassing and it didn't have an ending.