• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will it continue?

• It's dead.

Votes: 199 27.0%
  • It's possible.

Votes: 426 57.7%
  • Definitely.

Votes: 113 15.3%

• Total voters

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want them to explore this series' full potential, plus I'm a big fan of the Jensen arc.

Given the uncertain state of the IP, what are the chances Square sees renewed interest with 2077 being the next hotness?

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
What if they already had plans and now Cyberpunk comes out and totally eats their breakfast? Kinda like a Dead Island/ Dying Light situation.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean the ball is in SE's court, it was their missteps with Mankind Divided that put the series on a shelf, Deus Ex is a franchise that people are going to want more of eventually.

OP
OP
NO!R

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What if they already had plans and now Cyberpunk comes out and totally eats their breakfast? Kinda like a Dead Island/ Dying Light situation.

That's a way to see it, but I saw in my head a marketing push that pulls on the "storied" past of the venerable DE franchise to bring in new fans hot off 2077 and hungry for more cyberpunk.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Considering how poorly thought out Mankind Divided was, and how spectacularly amateurish SE fumbled with this franchise and its studio, I don't think Deus Ex can ever recover. Let alone after CP2077 releases.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think Avengers killed it. Just going to be a wait until we get the next one since each gen we've gotten 1 so far and Eidis Montreal have two teams, so I don't see why not.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
They seemed to have accidentally maneuvered the series into a dead end somehow, so it seems unlikely.

On a related note, I always thought that the whole prequel angle for the rebooted series was kind of a strange misstep from the very beginning. I mean, you have a series fundamentally driven by conspiracies that the player gradually unravels and then you choose to present a story where the player already knows where it is going to lead – always seemed a bit pointless to me (though Human Revolution still turned out to be quite a good game in the end).

Still, they probably should have retconned Invisible War out of existence instead and continued the story as a sequel to the original Deus Ex.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
They already confirmed that it's not dead, but it will take quite some time until we see a new game in the Deus Ex universe, because of other projects.

People are sleeping on Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, by the way.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's a nice idea but I think Blade Runner 2049 bombing was a reality check for cyberpunk. 2077 would have to sell in incredible numbers for SE to bother with Deus Ex. It's really sad what happened there but it's 100% SE's fault, Mankind Divided should not have taken 5 years to make. They missed their moment and what we got didn't feel complete anyway.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt it, hype or no the franchise was mishandled and now I don't even think SE has a good team to spare to work on a potential sequel to MD.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
If it does, I hope there is no dead/boring city hub. Jensen is a nice character though. Character animations could use some work though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if CP2077 goes on to be a megahit i don't think it's going to do much for the genre, mainly the franchise

genre is a bit underrepresented but not like it's completely novel either. may grease the wheels for Deus Ex somewhat though

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think it will come back, though it'll probably be so far in the future that however 2077 does will be irrelevant. A release late next gen, or early next next-gen could be a possibility IMO.

It's still pretty crazy though how they had managed to botch the franchise so quickly after Human Revolution. Such a shame.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Considering how poorly thought out Mankind Divided was, and how spectacularly amateurish SE fumbled with this franchise and its studio, I don't think Deus Ex can ever recover. Let alone after CP2077 releases.

I dont think Cyberpunk has much in common with Deus Ex ideology. Deus Ex is player complete freedom and reactivity to anything you do. Whatever goes through your head - you can do it. Im talking about Deus Ex 1 here.

CD Red doesnt make games like that.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Eidos Montreal is busy with other projects, so sadly it may take a while. I would love to play a sequel to Mankind Divided, though.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Open world on the level of GTA with a option of third or first person view. Make it more RPG like and allow for multiple class type with story structure similar to the Witcher 3

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
The Deus Ex devs are going to be too busy sharting out non stop Avengers DLC to work on anything else.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
There is no way they're abandoning the series. The question is if the next game will actually conclude the Jensen arc or will be something irrelevant.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

Crazy talk. Invisible War shat the bed orders of magnitude more than Mankind Divided did and the franchise came back, so I think it is possible.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I would hope so, but SE being all hands on deck for Avengers makes it unlikely anytime soon. Deus Ex for Avengers is a bad fucking trade in my book.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. I really do. Don't own a PC so I've never played the first (I'll get round to it, honest) but HR was superb and, despite MD's problems with it's pre-order incentives, it's microtransactions and its ending, it was still a really, really good game in my eyes.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Square's CEO claims that the IP is still important to them, whatever that means.

Eidos Montreal are stuck on Mahvel, so we probably wont get a new game for a loooong time.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex >>>>> Human Revolution >>> Mankind Divided >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Invisible War

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Wait... Did Deus Ex go away? HR was in 2011 and MD was in 2016. I don't think it's been long enough to argue it's gone away and isn't coming back?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Invisible War and Dragon Age 2 are probably the two most bafflingly bad sequels ever.

Like, how why do you think this direction was a good idea?

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Open world on the level of GTA with a option of third or first person view. Make it more RPG like and allow for multiple class type with story structure similar to the Witcher 3
You're basically describing Cyberpunk 2077 (except for the third person part). I think that Deus Ex, if resurrected, should put a bit different spin on things.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
square enix is all about marvel now with their western devs. i really don't expect deus ex to come back and if it does it will be as some dumb shit like a mobile game or a multiplayer BR or something like that

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you're an AAA studio executive, why would you invest $50m into a series that is 1) single-player, 2) doesn't have a great revenue tail, and 3) just underperformed on its last game when you could instead put that money into a Marvel cash cow game as a service that might make you hundreds of millions and be a consistent stream of long-term revenue?

If I were Square Enix I'd take the Private Division approach and greenlight some lower-budget sequels to franchises like Deus Ex and Thief and that ridiculous library of JRPG IP that's just sitting there doing nothing, but shareholders and executives don't care about hitting singles or doubles - they want nothing but home runs.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I hope so. I really do. Don't own a PC so I've never played the first (I'll get round to it, honest) but HR was superb and, despite MD's problems with it's pre-order incentives, it's microtransactions and its ending, it was still a really, really good game in my eyes.
The MTX in Mankind Divided along with the abrupt ending makes me question Square Enix's desire to make a proper single player game the way CDPR is with Cyberpunk.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Crazy to think that in the post Cyberpunk 2077 world Deus Ex will be the underdog cyberpunk rpg but CDPR is really that far ahead of the competition.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do want a new Deus Ex.. and man oh man... a Deus Ex on the scale of Cyberpunk.... dare I say I'd want that more than Cyberpunk!! But, is the team behind Deus Ex capable of making something that competes on the same level, thats the real question.
Deus Ex has a shot... but it needs to be more. Having a living breathing city would be the sweet spot for it, one where you can still do a mission or two in a faraway place, the way we know it.. but I think its stands a real chance if they capture Cyberpunk "aliveness" of the city. Prague just didn't do it for me. Loved the old meets new asthetic, but Cyberpunk's entire immersion comes from a city that feels real and alive.