• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does ‘Days Gone' Cross the Line By Letting Players Kill Child Freakers?

• Yes

Votes: 78 3.1%
  • No

Votes: 2,422 96.8%

• Total voters

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In fact I'm somewhat disappointed in Sony Bend's Emmanuel Roth's insistence that they're not kids.

They're kids dude stop that shit.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Horror is supposed to be a little fucked up, and shooting zombie kids is definitely fucked up. Horror is also supposed to use its fucked up imagery to get us to reflect on our values and social instincts. How well Days Gone does this is still a question.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
As someone who's played the game for three hours and a bit, no. The game doesn't cross the line.

Hell, there's an online / co-op zombie game on Steam that has zombie kids you can kill. Also, you can kill kids in the original Deus Ex and Fallout (if I remember correctly).

Is it kinda weird at times? I guess but there were weird zombie babies in Dead Space and that game did alright.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Dead Space has it so I don't see why there would be any controversy today.

Did they really backtrack on the newts being children?

GaseousSnake

Aug 15, 2018

I'm sorry but I'm not english speaker and I not understand you but what I am trying to say that I am tired of this "press" so conservative with some aspects but others that affect our lives like privacy for example are not important for them. We are talking of a game that i am sure that will be rated at least for +13 years... seriously I think that for them only matters the drama and the clickbait. Waiting for day one patch removing the childs after the drama.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of games have had a protag kill kids in survival horror, Dead Space, Dante's inferno etc. Even the Walking Dead has this. They all have something in common, they all take it as their dead and aren't human anymore.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I voted no, but I think it's because I don't think killing zombie kids in this particular game crosses a line uniquely. Since other games have had similar aspects and games as a whole have lots of violence against non-zombie humans, I don't necessarily feel that any problem would be focused on this game in particular. (And the vote is on this game.) As for the bigger question I'm alluding to, I don't have an answer there either.

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm sorry but I'm not english speaker and I not understand you but what I am trying to say that I am tired of this "press" so conservative with some aspects but others that affect our lives like privacy for example are not important for them. We are talking of a game that i am sure that will be rated at least for +13 years... seriously I think that for them only matters the drama and the clickbait. Waiting for day one patch removing the childs after the drama.
whataboutism

NOUN
mass nounBritish
  • The technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.
    'the parliamentary hearing appeared to be an exercise in whataboutism'
    Also called whataboutery

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Dying Light had kid zombies that screamed, which you "muffle" to quiten them, and I think could kill.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I dont think it's crossing the line but I dont think the game needed kid zombies.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think there's no denying that it crosses A line - you essentially never seen children as an attackable object in ANY game, much less as an actual enemy that needs to be killed to progress.

The question is more wether that line needs to exist in the first place.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's no denying that it crosses A line - you essentially never seen children as an attackable object in ANY game, much less as an actual enemy that needs to be killed to progress.

The question is more wether that line needs to exist in the first place.
People just name several games in this topic.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
No. While I accept there are things in a video game that are distasteful and should be criticised there is a point where you have to accept that it's just a video game. Murder and violence are abhorrent and we enjoy games where you kill and/or fight people despite knowing this but we don't ask the question of if this is crossing the line because we accept it is just fiction. I'm not sure why this would change just because the thing you're killing are undead children instead of undead adults.

We must ask if it is crossing the line if this encourages or promotes the harming of real children and poses any potential risk of people translating in-game behaviour into the real world. Will Days Gone do that? I'm 99.9% sure it won't.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
It unsettles me. I'm not that interested in the game though so probably wouldn't have played it, anyway. I did notice the kid zombies in the Easy Allies preview vid though and it left a sour taste in my mouth. Guess I'm just an old fogie/too soft, going by most peoples' reactions here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
DsYpSJGU8AA8r7-.jpg

Not the first MJ to say this

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
No. While I accept there are things in a video game that are distasteful and should be criticised there is a point where you have to accept that it's just a video game. Murder and violence are abhorrent and we enjoy games where you kill and/or fight people despite knowing this but we don't ask the question of if this is crossing the line because we accept it is just fiction. I'm not sure why this would change just because the thing you're killing are undead children instead of undead adults.

We must ask if it is crossing the line if this encourages or promotes the harming of real children and poses any potential risk of people translating in-game behaviour into the real world. Will Days Gone do that? I'm 99.9% sure it won't.
Nope since they mostly keep out of way and just watches you from high up, they only attack if you are low on health or in their territory up high.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
You killed children and babies in Drakengard. Babies in Demons Souls. Babies in Dantes Inferno. Babies in Dead Space. Dying Light you killed children.

Fuck this article, a simple google search shows this isn't new or an issue.

Last edited:

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I know some love to know as much as they can about a game or movie... or watch trailers over and over again... or ask others what happens in the end of a game/movie.

But for me, I would have loved to have been in that situation of a child freaker coming out of no where....and being stuck and surprised...and that hesitation of not knowing what to do..which might have got me killed... well that would have been a nice little experience along with the rest of what the game might have to offer.

Again, I'm sure it doesn't mean much for the folks who don't care about spoilers, but little things like that is what I look forward to. Experiencing for the first time.
I mean, the first human enemy you see in the first trailer is a kidfreaker. Not really a spoiler.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
As a million people have already said, Zombie children aren't remotely new to games (hell, there's even a few games with straight up child killing that have met little controversy) so no.

Nov 1, 2017
Several references to Dante's Inferno and Dead Space Buy people seem to forget that you could choose to harvest Adam from Little Sisters in Bioshock.

Not very graphic, as it's blurred out with a green mist, but it's clear that you're pulling the sea slug from the Little Sister.

Video

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What do you mean by cross the line? Killing adults is ok but children are not? That's some fucked up line of thinking.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The irony in the pearl clutching from people seemingly offended that this question even exists is delicious.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nope, they did not.
this is just seeking controversy for the sake of it, but judging by that source it seems like that's their bread and butter.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I just got done playing through Dying Light and that game also has children zombies, it's fucked up, but not something I'd call excessive or controversial. Just adds more weight to the scenario I suppose.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Kid zombies is a fairly well explored trope in zombie/infected fiction now. Adds another layer to the game, a different emotive level.