• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Cosmic Horror can be unsettling if you come up with something way out of your head.

Thing about our sun being an entire entity that is way out of our comprehension. It's watching us, feeding us, and slowly punishing us; and our universe is full of all kind entities. Yeah, sounds unsettling...doesn't it?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Never really thought any horror was scary. But I think it's the best and most in interesting horror

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
Cosmic Horror can be unsettling if you come up with something way out of your head.

Thing about our sun being an entire entity that is way out of our comprehension. It's watching us, feeding us, and slowly punishing us; and our universe is full of all kind entities. Yeah, sounds unsettling...doesn't it?

you might enjoy this

O0L0tAt.jpg

The Library at Mount Char

A missing God.
A library with the secrets to the universe.
A woman too busy to notice her heart slipping away.

Carolyn's not so different from the other people around her. She likes guacamole and cigarettes and steak. She knows how to use a phone. Clothes are a bit tricky, but everyone says nice things about her outfit with the Christmas sweater over the gold bicycle shorts. After all, she was a normal American herself once.

That was a long time ago, of course. Before her parents died. Before she and the others were taken in by the man they called Father. In the years since then, Carolyn hasn't had a chance to get out much. Instead, she and her adopted siblings have been raised according to Father's ancient customs. They've studied the books in his Library and learned some of the secrets of his power. And sometimes, they've wondered if their cruel tutor might secretly be God. Now, Father is missing—perhaps even dead—and the Library that holds his secrets stands unguarded. And with it, control over all of creation.

As Carolyn gathers the tools she needs for the battle to come, fierce competitors for this prize align against her, all of them with powers that far exceed her own. But Carolyn has accounted for this. And Carolyn has a plan. The only trouble is that in the war to make a new God, she's forgotten to protect the things that make her human.

Populated by an unforgettable cast of characters and propelled by a plot that will shock you again and again, The Library at Mount Char is at once horrifying and hilarious, mind-blowingly alien and heartbreakingly human, sweepingly visionary and nail-bitingly thrilling—and signals the arrival of a major new voice in fantasy.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
No but I do like the descriptions of the horror and how the characters act upon and are loosing their mind. It's entertaining as hell but it's not really scary. Maybe a little unease while reading it, but being scared by it is not going to happen.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
As someone brought up with eastern philosophies, cosmic horror was never really frightening.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I think the real issue is, with most things people feel are played out in horror in media is that the majority of the stuff out there is pretty poor. I would say Cosmic Horror of some quality is no less scary than it has ever been.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
The concepts scare me more after I've read the novels it's used in rather than at the immediate time.

During reading "Oh that's scary"

After Reading: "Oh god, what if that actually happened? that'd be the most terrifying thing ever!!"

May 17, 2019
I think the real issue is, with most things people feel are played out in horror in media is that the majority of the stuff out there is pretty poor. I would say Cosmic Horror of some quality is no less scary than it has ever been.

Exactly. The best cosmic horror grapples with existentialism in a way that crushes the audience, but most of it resorts to spooky tentacles.