• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Doesn't scare me at all, but I think it's cool.

Show me the latest videos where they zoom out of the universe to the max, showing the scale etc. That's cosmic horror to me. But I'm also addicted to it.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
A lot of it can come across as trying to be really mind-blowing without actually being so, like when it relies on describing things as "Ineffable...! Unspeakable...! Unutterable!!!"

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty

• Providence- Alan Moore
  • The Wailing
  • Pathologic 2
  • The Void (IPL)
  • House of Leaves
  • The Willows
  • Blindsight
  • Thomas Ligotti
  • Emil Cioran
  • Philip Mainlander
  • certain religious concepts
  • Sunless Sea
  • A House of Many Doors
  • Saya No Uta
  • Bokurano
  • El Eternauta
  • Tynion's Apocalypse comics
  • I Am In Eskew

Was about to mention Blindsight, which is rooted in science and a real existential punch in the gut.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
718sDjru0fL.jpg

This and The Croning are good shit.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think as our understanding of the universe has increased since those times, and thus increasing numbers of extinction level events that could destroy us at any moment without warning - and the scary thing is, the more we explore the more of these events we discover. There are some that theorize when we look deep into the universe, we directly influence it with our observations and thus have created more obstacles to our survival. In fact, this may be the case with any advanced civilization that would try to explore space.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I find cosmic horror to be more horrifying than slasher flicks or other "horror" movies. Nothing makes me laugh harder than a stupid horror premise, like that one from a couple years ago everyone pretended was a good movie, It Follows. But something like Color out of Space scares the fuck out of me.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cosmic horror that doesn't revolve around played out mind breaking monsters can be really effective. It's just a lot of writers and creators just ape the really successful works that came before without doing much to shake things up or do something different.

ViewtifulJux

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, never really was. It's aesthetically pretty cool, but even that is getting a little oversaturated.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I find it hilarious when artists humanise Cthulhu with bulging muscles like some chad 🤣
567b44d42ecabe8568d7ca48cc33c615.jpg

The-Call-of-Cthulhu-Illustrated-by-Baranger.jpg

cthulhu-top-android-featured.jpg.webp

It's a good point to bring up about privileged people finding cosmic horror more scary because of what they've got to lose, not feel the center of the world, or haven't experienced in life.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever found cosmic horror "scary," per se. I just think it's an interesting aesthetic.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Aesthetically it's fun, but is otherwise not particularly scary. Even when the old gods are shown to some kind of scale, it usually revolves around tentacles enveloping a planet, which isn't all that direct to me as a person. If you can show me Cthulhu at cosmic scale from the pov of a person on the ground, maybe. But again this is more style.

The idea of 'others' being the dominant threat isn't all that scary when I don't view people that arent me and aren't like as a threat to my every day existence. Now if Cthulhu was a stand in for something that could threaten me - climate change, not being able to pay rent, losing health insurance if i lose my job, then we're onto something

I find it hilarious when artists humanise Cthulhu with bulging muscles like some chad 🤣

It's a good point to bring up about privileged people finding cosmic horror more scary because of what they've got to lose, not feel the center of the world, or haven't experienced in life.
Doesn't this depict him as rather small compared to his descriptions? He's meant to be unfathomably large, not Godzilla with a weight room.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I will echo others who say it isn't necessarily scary, but there is an atmosphere and slow build up that gets me in the same spot thriller and mystery movies do. It gets me thinking and using my imagination. Sometimes it is unnerving or uncomfortable like Annihilation where the visuals and discordant music worked together to put you on edge and make your hairs stand up. Other times it is just the creativity of it like in Colour Out of Space where the dude starts talking about how it is just a colour but it burnsssss. It sucks and it burnssssssss. It is a neat idea to try and conceptualize something beyond our understanding or beyond what we can perceive.

Oct 27, 2017
Horror in general doesn't scare me at all anymore, besides the odd horror game here and there. Lovecraft is still one of my fave authors though, and Lovecraftian horror/cosmic horror/weird fiction one of my fave genres.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The end of Men In Black was far more cosmic horror than anything particularly Lovecraftian until more non-Lovecraftian cosmic horror like Annihilation.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Like some other posters, I don't think I really find cosmic horror "scary". More cool and fascinating, with some of the dressings that give it the name "horror", but I don't really read it and get legitimately scared.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I feel what you are describing is more "Lovecraftian Horror" rather than cosmic horror. I tend to look at cosmic horror as more broad; dealing with the unknown and the unknowable, man's insignificance in the face of something greater, and the resulting madness. Stuff like The Terror, The Lighthouse, and SCP all instill that feeling in me without really leaning into actual Lovecraft cliches.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm an adult that's living through the second recession in my lifetime and a global pandemic. The only thing that scares me is homelessness and dying alone on an incubator because some careless fuckface refused the basic shit of wearing a mask.

Still love cosmic horror.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find the body horror aspects of it unsettling. Creatures that are just amalgams of flesh and body parts in the wrong spots and tentacles are pretty freakish, but it hits harder when there's a vague humanoid shape or ability behind it because it gives you a frame of reference of just how wrong this creature is.

A giant creature made out of humans assimilated into it is scarier than a space blob from nowhere

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The City We Became has some unnerving cosmic horror stuff. Like those manifesting into some nightmarish Eldritchian monster police chasing down a black boy through the streets. That was intense.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
I find John Langan's The Fisherman to be a very effective modern utilization, despite some naysay. More rich as an overall package than straight up horrifying, though. But it pulls that element off quite well, too. When done properly, cosmic horror is a reminder that some things are incomprehensible and everly present and sometimes, constantly right on the horizon. If you can tap into that surreal existential stew, then you can reap.

yeah, anyone saying cosmic horror has never been frightening needs to read this. cosmic horror doesn't just mean lovecraft and tentacles

plenty of imagery in The Fisherman that made me deeply unsettled to a point that very few other horror stories have reached. it's a masterpiece

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Horror that relies on the monster aspect to induce fear, especially visual mediums where you sometimes have to give comprehensible forms to things that are supposed to be incomprehensible (and therefore derive most of their power from the reader's imagination), misses the point. I suspect that's a big part of why you're so tired of it—a lot of horror misses the point.

Good cosmic/lovecraftian horror is ultimately about total alienation, othering, and loneliness, which are feelings that are universally upsetting to social animals. The Thing, for example, has a creature that's viscerally upsetting, but the fear comes almost entirely from the looming sense of dread, isolation, and futility. An unimaginably bad thing is happening, it's up to our hero to stop the almost certainly unstoppable, and he can't even identify the threat he's supposed to overcome. Even if none of the humans around him are infected, he is, for all intents and purposes, totally and utterly alone. It's the ultimate anxiety.

Intellectually understanding a concept doesn't make you immune to the emotions that come with that concept. We all need different things to trigger these very basic fears, and maybe most cosmic horror doesn't flip your switch, but knowing you're gonna die one day doesn't mean your final moments are going to be to totally chill.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's true that it's popular in nerd media to the point of saturation, but like any genre it really just depends on the execution.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Like all things, it depends. I think the latest trend of cosmic horror has been a pale imitation of Lovecraft, to be quite honest. It's less about some cosmic being and more about unknowable madness. Cthulhu has poisoned the well, so to speak.

A good modern example is The Mist. You have no idea what's out there but that's why it's scary. Are you alone? Is anyone else experiencing this? Compare that with putting giant monstrosities in your face every second.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
It scared me when I was young and thought that my existance was some important cornerstone in the universe. Now as an adult, it does just about nothing for me. A random sun flare or a space turd could slam into my ass and wipe any trace of me and my loved ones ever having existed. Slapping some tentacles on human mortality and fragility really does not make any gears turn in my head.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I find John Langan's The Fisherman to be a very effective modern utilization, despite some naysay. More rich as an overall package than straight up horrifying, though. But it pulls that element off quite well, too. When done properly, cosmic horror is a reminder that some things are incomprehensible and everly present and sometimes, constantly right on the horizon. If you can tap into that surreal existential stew, then you can reap.
Thanks for the indirect recommendation. I just purchased it for $7 on Kindle pretty much entirely based on you saying you enjoyed it and then the brief description. Also I will pretty much try any book for $7.
I am currently reading The Only Good Indians, which I am not sold on quite yet but do not dislike either, but as soon as I am done with it, will move on to The Fisherman.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah not really, but the image of a giant creature the size of a mountain that wants to kill humanity gets me.