• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it does. It's so restrictive. Arcane rules that don't make no sense!! Why do horses move like that? Are they chronically hurt on one leg and lean sideways after a few steps?? No reason nor rhyme to any of this.

Honestly chess just feels like a game for the "smarts" to make everyone else feel like inadequate dumb dumbs.

Ocarina of Time > chess and that's just the truth.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I gotta admit, I thought that it'd make a great game when I watched Queen's Gambit. But I forgot that licensed games usually aren't that great.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Can't tell if you are being serious, but chess is easily one of the best competitive games of all time, and has been for centuries. Watching high level chess is mesmerizing - it's crazy how deep they can see and how quickly they recognize tactics etc.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's why they fixed Chess in the new game releasing today

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I think board games, especially those with deep mechanics that have been around since antiquity are mesmerizing. I won't say I am always good at them, but the things the human mind came up with to pass the time or as a reflection of war and politics and civilization are amazing.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Chess is turn-based. I believe turn-based combat is considered archaic.

Action chess when

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
giphy.gif

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

TimeKillr

Feb 9, 2021
Go is a much better game, I've always thought.

I honestly don't understand why ppl play Chess when they can play Go instead. Go is so much crazier, is WAAAAY deeper, and has such a simple ruleset.

it's constantly in my list of most well-designed games in history. There's literally TWO rules (you can't have the exact same board state twice, and when a group is fully surrounded, it dies). That's it! Then it's "Place your piece anywhere on the board once per turn". It so elegant, and both the strategic and tactical aspects of the game are much deeper than anything else if only due to the massive amount of moves one can do in a single turn.

Sometimes you turn around an entire game of Go by playing a stone in some seemingly random position outside the current fight. High-level Go games seem so weirdly nebulous because you look at it and go "Why didn't they resolve this fight?" when in their head it's already resolved but you don't see the actual resolution.

Go is a masterpiece of game design.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Tbh, when you think about it, chess is just fighting games but without cute waifus to motivate you to buy costumes.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid chessmasters can't even balance their own game, the knight is so much more overpowered than the pawn, pawn needs some buffs and movement options