• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not just calories. Liver damage -> Portal Hypertension -> ascites

Everything in moderation. Recommended is no more than 14 drinks per week for men, a little less for women.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
According to the beer facts in Catherine beer is a diuretic, and even though it has a lot of calories youll piss it out before your body has a chance to absorb it all

It's the fact that you tend to eat so much afterwards that makes you fat. Don't do that and you'll be fine
You can't just piss out whatever it's a set mechanism. Lots of things are diuretic if that was true you could just add caffeine to every drink and piss it out . Pretty sure you can get fat off monster too

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Only if you bought it from this person:

images

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
That makes it a lot easier to get to 14 then.

I usually get beer that's 8% or more (10% is a good one for me). That would make it 4 drinks if it's one full glass. Then two would be 8. If I had three that would be 12. Yoiks.
Units tend to add up quicker than people think

When you sit down a regular drinker and add it all up it can be quite disconcerting to them

For laughs (or not) get people to fill out one of these:
AUDIT.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Is this one of those things where anything more than one is failing?

My result is five.
Nah 5 is fine, it's when people who don't believe they have a problem ending up scoring high. If they've never thought about it it can come as a bit of a surprise

0-7 low risk, 8-15 increasing risk, 16-19 higher risk, 20 possible dependence

There is a follow up questionnaire, wonder if I can find it

Last edited:

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
Calorie surplus makes bellies grow. Beer contains calories. So, possibly. But a couple of beers on Saturday is probably not the issue if one is increasing in belly circumference.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I drink about 8-10 beers over a weekend when I'm out, most weekends, but they are strong beers (10-14%, doppelbock).

during work lunch we have a beer, but usually 5.5%, so overall a week I would say I have 14 beers on average.

of course with summer, on hot days, maybe my friends and I spend a bit more time at beer gardens lol.

if you exercise you should be fine. although it also depends on genes/body shape.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'm on a diet but I also drink 2 beers almost daily, so I can testify that yes, beer belly is a real thing. I'm shedding weight but that damn belly won't go down because of the beers.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
There's around 200 calories in an average 12 oz. microbrew. You can drink every night and it's easily managed if you get a decent amount of exercise (I walk 5+ miles a day.)

Drinking is great, the best thing ever.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I remember there's not an intrinsic link between alcohol and the "beer belly", but it is a shit load of extra calories.

Man I've been drinking quite heavily the last few weeks. Need a dry month.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
*looks down*

... Yeah

Yep. Somewhere along the line, I traded in my six pack for what appears to be two 40's.

No but really, as long as you don't consume too MUCH of it, you should be fine. It's a bunch of carb calories. One or two a night won't do much as long as you're staying within your caloric intake, but yeah if you're drinking 10-12 beers a night, things aren't going to go well.