• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basically, I've put this off a few months.

But awhile a go I purchased Fire Emblem and discovered my Switch was no longer displaying on my television. I got Mario Maker 2 on release and it worked, and I haven't changed anything about my Switch or television since then.

The only possible guess is there was a storm one night that briefly knocked out the power, but my Switch otherwise works...it charges correctly and I can play in handheld, but I get no output on the television.

I was wondering if we could troubleshoot before I just give up and purchase another dock because I assume that may be the issue.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Question does the Wii U HDMI work on Switch?

I tried it and it fit...but nothing.
Do you mean the HDMI cable that came with the Wii U? If so, yes. It should be the same as the one that came with the Switch.
If you can't send it to Nintendo for repairs then I would advice you to look for video tutorials on Youtube. There are many youtubers that show how to fix broken Switches but it usually requires soldering and buying replacement parts.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay I've tried with the Wii U HDMI and PS4 HDMI so I assume it isn't the cable...

Guess the dock got fried during the storm maybe? Weird everything but the output works as it still charged the Switch

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't try out an acquaintance's dock, maybe you could walk into a small local game store and ask if you can have them dock your Switch to check if it's that or the console that's acting up. They usually have stuff hooked up behind the counter or a display unit.

Also, is it possible that specific port on your TV is borked? Do inputs from other sources work fine?

Another one: does the screen on your Switch stay on when you put it in the dock or does it turn off?

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Does the charger for the dock work on the Switch itself? If it doesn't, the power surge likely blew that cable and you'll need to buy a replacement. Alternatively, if the dock's plugged into a power strip or something, try moving it to a different outlet and see if that makes a difference.

Does a light show up on the dock when you put your switch into it awake?

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Some trouble-shooting tips off the top of my head (apologies if some sound condescending but I want to make sure we covered everything :

- make sure the Switch dock is plugged in and receiving power (green light should come on when turning the Switch on),
- try a different HDMI cable, any kind will work,
- make sure your tv is set to the right HDMI channel, there should be an input button on your tv remote to cycle between HDMI ports,
- do other consoles, Blueray players etc work on your TV?
- make sure all cables are connected.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't seem to be the port as my PS4 works fine on it.

When I turn on the Switch my TV allows me to select the port it's plugged into but then says no connection.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Does your dock light still turn green when you put in the switch, or does the dock not even turn on at all (and pressing the power button when the switch is inside the dock simply wakes up the handheld console)?

Because if its the latter, I've had that happen to me a couple of times, and it's a pretty well documented issue on Reddit. Try disconnecting all of the cables from the dock, and the charger from the power plug. Wait a couple of minutes for everything to power cycle (and I guess you might as well power cycle the actual Switch too). Then plug them back in, making sure to plug the charger cable in before the HDMI cable (which is a weird but pretty well documented quirk of the dock: plugging in the HDMI cable first doesn't work for a lot of people).

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately I don't have a dock I can test to see if that is the issue.

I turn my Switch on and place it in Dock. The green light is on and screen is black so it is "docked" and is being charged.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it probably is a bad dock as I've tried the unplugging tip before...I was hoping it wasn't because that's a pain.

Not sure if I have the warranty still covered, or how that works. I've never sent back a product before.

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I had the same issue and my dock was fried. Had to send it to Nintendo for repair. Try to verify whether it will work in another dock first or else they'll request you send the whole system for inspection too.

Oct 26, 2017
Probably the dock is gone, OP. Do you know anyone with a switch you can test with?

Otherwise, I swear by the insignia switch dock from best buy as a highly competent alternative.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Has to be done in this order (start with nothing plugged into the dock)
Plug in USB-C power adapter.
Plug in HDMI to Dock.
Plug in HDMI to TV.
Put Switch in the Dock.
Turn on TV and select input.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Likely the dock is fried. I had a similar issue where the video out works, but the USB ports are toast and can only be used for charging, not for anything sending data.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did you try unplugging everything and connect it in this order?

Has to be done in this order (start with nothing plugged into the dock)
Plug in USB-C power adapter.
Plug in HDMI to Dock.
Plug in HDMI to TV.
Put Switch in the Dock.
Turn on TV and select input.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
If you need a new dock consider this 3rd party one. I use it and it's been working great and is so much more convenient than the Nintendo one. There's a thread on here with other satisfied customers too

skullnco.com

Jumpgate: A versatile, compact Dock for Nintendo Switch/OLED/other devices

Safe to use. Portable design. Compatible with most protective cases. Play in Tabletop Mode with power supply. Enables phone changers to output TV mode. Can be used as a USB hub. The built-in DeX function can turn your smartphone into a computer. Supports resolution up to 4K@30Hz / 2K@60Hz...

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I went with the Best Buy Dock Somewhatgroovy

Picked it up today...here's hoping it works as I haven't got a chance to test it.

Now the issue is...I wanna buy some Switch games and there's SO much...Zelda, Astral Chain, Yu-Gi-Oh, all those classic ports like Grandia.

Fuck being poor. šŸ˜­

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019
I had the same issue for a couple of days, then I realized I could completely turn off the switch instead of putting it to sleep, it solved the problem instantly, I know it sounds dumb, but I haven't seen anyone suggest it yet.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I went with the Best Buy Dock Somewhatgroovy

Picked it up today...here's hoping it works as I haven't got a chance to test it.

Now the issue is...I wanna buy some Switch games and there's SO much...Zelda, Astral Chain, Yu-Gi-Oh, all those classic ports like Grandia.

Fuck being poor. šŸ˜­
If it works, I have a spare dock I can send ya if you're here in the US. Then you can take back the one from BB.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had the same issue for a couple of days, then I realized I could completely turn off the switch instead of putting it to sleep, it solved the problem instantly, I know it sounds dumb, but I haven't seen anyone suggest it yet.
I tried that.

Actually I never realized my Switch was always just sleeping and I never turned it off.

I think the fact it was charging in Sleep Mode might've hurt it when the storm hit.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's my fault for spending 160$ on drinks last week.

Luckily thanks to a new VA tax law I may be getting 100$ in. Then I can get both Astral Chain and Links Awakening without feeln bad.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
I had exactly the same issue, sent through all the troubleshooting mentioned in this thread and nothing worked. First I was convinced the problem was in the dock but then I tested my switch in someone else's dock and it did not work either.
Then I had a different problem with the right joycon which stopped syncing completely so I decided to send everything (both joycons, the dock and the main unit) to Nintendo.
They repaired the problem in the Switch and the right joycon. The dock was ok in my case. I had to pay for the issue with tv output, that will depend on country and time since purchase. They also repaired something else with both joycons, that was considered covered by the warranty.

Last edited: