• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 1, 2018
Since like 2012 because mac

gaming pc, ps4, are all ssd too

only thing that isnt is my x1x and the lag in almost every UX element is noticeable and unacceptable

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
My PS4 and PC are SSDs, my unraid server no. I have a 500GB cache drive for the main array and spinners for storage.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I built a silent PC and my HDD was the only noisy thing left, isolated from every other sound it was kind of unbearable so I had to switch to SSDs. Now that HDD is just a backup drive.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have one spinning drive in my system. Got a 1TB NVME drive, 1TB and a 500GB SSD. Got a 500GB mechanical drive which I'm wanting to update to an SSD at some point. Tend to pick them up when they're on sale, so probably next year I'll get that last one updated

Oct 25, 2017
Switched from a 2TB HDD to a 1TB SSD, and haven't looked back. I still have the old HDD, but never bothered to connect it. I'd rather just download whatever I need again.

It's just an entry level SATA SSD, but it already makes such a huge difference.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
My current itx build, a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe Gen3 and 2TB Intel 660p NVMe Gen3.

Soon next build will also be itx with 2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket Gen 4.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I heard that writing to the SSD a lot like recording game footage could shorten it. I guess times have changed though if they can stand a lot of writes.

Not unless you were using them as some kind of 24/7 server. They are likely to die from some other hardware fault before writes shorten it that much. They claim you would need to write anywhere between 60 - 150 TB of data to really hurt them, which is around 40GB a day over ten years.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I heard that writing to the SSD a lot like recording game footage could shorten it. I guess times have changed though if they can stand a lot of writes.

The Intel 660p 512 GB version, which sells for roughly $50 and is about as low endurance as it gets, is still rated for 100 Terabytes of writes. If you recorded 10 GB of video a day, you would still get 27 years out of it. The drive's warranty is only 5 years.

And if you step up to the 1 TB version of the same cheap drive, the write endurance doubles.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Not unless you were using them as some kind of 24/7 server. They are likely to die from some other hardware fault before writes shorten it that much. They claim you would need to write anywhere between 60 - 150 TB of data to really hurt them, which is around 40GB a day over ten years.
The Intel 660p 512 GB version, which sells for roughly $50 and is about as low endurance as it gets, is still rated for 100 Terabytes of writes. If you recorded 10 GB of video a day, you would still get 27 years out of it. The drive's warranty is only 5 years.

And if you step up to the 1 TB version of the same cheap drive, the write endurance doubles.
Wow, this is all new to me, it seems endurance has improved a lot since years ago, no wonder I have 3 SSDs now(and want to get a new one that's bigger).

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
My laptop. I have a 2TB mechanical drive on my desktop for random stuff and 1.5TB od SSD space.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Yes my pc has a 512gb SSD for OS and software, 1TB SSD for games, and a 2TB SSD for media (raw photos, video editing etc.)

The OS is on a Samsung, the two larger drives are Crucial.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I did for a while. When I built my computer I went with a 1TB SSD.

More recently though I started running out of space, even with external drives for media. So I got a conventional 8TB external drive for games and honestly I haven't noticed much difference at all between the load times on the conventional drive over USB 3.0 compared to what they were on the SSD.

Now this wasn't one of the newer super fast SSDs like in the PS5. It was a Samsung, probably the first 1TB SSD they released.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
My PC has a M.2 and a Sata SSD. I pretend to buy a bigger and higher end m.2 in the future.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I use an internal SSD for the OS (OSes actually, MacOS and Windows) and then an external SSD for large programs/games. Long term storage - mainly back up - is a large HDD.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've been SSD only for a while on my gaming PC, I've got 9 SSD's installed so I have plenty of space and yes the lack of mechanical noise is so nice.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, my desktop has a 500GB Nvme as the main drive, and a 2TB SATA SSD for storage.

It's expensive, but quick and quiet.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No. My build is from 2017, and at the time SSD's were still too expensive. So I just have a 250GB SSD for the OS, carried over a 1TB hard drive for games, and bought a new 2TB for backup, additional game storage, and general file storage.

Next build I'll keep the 2TB hard drive for backup/general storage, upgrade to a 500GB for OS, and a 1 or 2 TB SSD for games.

Nov 23, 2017
I've used an SSD only built PC since 2015. Anybody know which SSDs we should get for PS5? I don't want to get one unless I can play a game right off the external SSD. i don't want to transfer games.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, for about 2 years now.

Currently have 5GB of SSD storage

2TB NVME Boot Drive
2TB SATA Drive (mostly storage, but also some games)
1TB SATA Drive (old boot drive from 2017)

Planning on getting one of those 980 Pro 1TB NVMEs once I get a new motherboard that supports PCIE 4.0.
Fast storage for daaaaaaaays.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, NVMe for Windows and apps. SATA SSDs for everything else. Did it for both the speed and the reduction in noise.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
I've used an SSD only built PC since 2015. Anybody know which SSDs we should get for PS5? I don't want to get one unless I can play a game right off the external SSD. i don't want to transfer games.
USB 3.1 is TOO SLOW to play games off of an external drive on the PS5. Your only choice for the PS5 (if you want to avoid "cold storage") is to get a second NVME drive that goes in the expansion slot. No drives have yet been "approved" by sony, but the 980 Pro 1TB for $229 will likely be one of them. It's reasonable to expect other brands like Sabrent and Western Digital to also make drives capable of running at PS5 speeds, for at minimum $200 for 1TB.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Does this factor in heavy data usage from 4K streaming and downloads? Games are now 100+ GB as the norm!

If you take the cheapo drive I mentioned in my previous post and you stream video at 20 Mbits / s for 4 hours a day, and all of that data is written to disk, it would last 7.5 years.

Again, this is for one of the lowest endurance drives you could purchase. The drive I bought for my own system last year has > 30X the endurance.

Nov 23, 2017
USB 3.1 is TOO SLOW to play games off of an external drive on the PS5. Your only choice for the PS5 (if you want to avoid "cold storage") is to get a second NVME drive that goes in the expansion slot. No drives have yet been "approved" by sony, but the 980 Pro 1TB for $229 will likely be one of them. It's reasonable to expect other brands like Sabrent and Western Digital to also make drives capable of running at PS5 speeds, for at minimum $200 for 1TB.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the deets. i'll poke around for those when they approved by Sony. I have a bunch of digital games and I'm weird about deleting them or moving them lol

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Honestly, you could run a PC on Linux right off your RAM and use cloud storage for everything at this point. The last thing I'm storing on hard drives is games, and I'm ready to just stream everything from GeForce Now for that.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I went all SSD when I did my last major upgrade. Was so glad to get rid of the 3 mechanical hard drives that were taking up space and making my case heavier. New motherboard had some M.2 slots so got a chance to use a them.

1TB NVMe M.2 for OS and programs
1TB NVMe M.2 for specific games (that might benefit from it, like Star Citizen, RDR II, MSFS2020)
256GB Sata SSD that I use as a dedicated Documents/Music/Videos drive
1TB Sata SSD I got from an old computer that is almost completely empty, but it's there if I need it.
2TB Sata SSD for game installs.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, been ssd only for years now. Just sata SSD at the moment. May upgrade to nvme.

My next PC build in a couple years will be all nvme. Going to wait for rtx io to become a thing first, guessing it will take a couple years to build up.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
almost there (have 2x 1TB, one NVMe M.2 and one SATA, plus a 6TB WD drive) but I need 4+ TB SSDs to hit more reasonable prices before I fully commit

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the deets. i'll poke around for those when they approved by Sony. I have a bunch of digital games and I'm weird about deleting them or moving them lol
Next gen is gonna be rough then. Right now the largest SSD available that will likely be fast enough for PS5 is 1TB, which means you'll have a total "playable" storage size of around 1.7TB. Beyond that, you'll have to spring for a super-fast 2TB NVME SSD, which will be easily $400 or more when they eventually release.

Keep in mind PS4 games WILL run off of an external drive, and I'd suggest you keep those games there and save the internal and NVME storage for PS5 only games.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Both my computers, and soon my PS5. In fact, I don't think I ever want a HDD again.

Nov 23, 2017
Next gen is gonna be rough then. Right now the largest SSD available that will likely be fast enough for PS5 is 1TB, which means you'll have a total "playable" storage size of around 1.7TB. Beyond that, you'll have to spring for a super-fast 2TB NVME SSD, which will be easily $400 or more when they eventually release.

Keep in mind PS4 games WILL run off of an external drive, and I'd suggest you keep those games there and save the internal and NVME storage for PS5 only games.
That makes sense. I appreciate that. I'm not looking to splurge on those right away but I can see myself nickel and diming my way through them eventually lol

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have a 500 gig nvme in my windows pc and that's the only drive I use. It's awesome and super quick with everything. I find I don't need much storage space nowadays.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Nope. Mix.

Mhp8M.png

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Geez, I don't think I could ever do that.

I've had a system SSD and games SSD for many years now, but I still need those mechanical HDDs for all my media. I watch movies more on my computer than my TV so I rip all my blurays when I get them. Plus, it's really nice to have rips of all my Dragon Box sets so if I wanted to watch Dragon Ball Z on my TV, I could just stream it over my network and not have to worry about swapping discs.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
My PC is SSD only as is my PS4. Once you go with an SSD it's difficult to go back

I have large external HDD drives that I use for backups and storing large media but I only use them as needed

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting there. I still have a couple old mechanical HDD in my main PC, but I store most files on my NAS. I'll be phasing the mechanical drives out during my next build probably.