• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

It is imperfect, but do you still enjoy Star Wars as a whole ?

• "I do" , I forgive its flaws, and focus on positives

Votes: 580 65.8%
  • "It's coarse, and rough, and irritating" There is more bad than good at this point

Votes: 195 22.1%
  • It will depend on how IX bridges all the films and honors the legacy of them all

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • I enjoy 2/3 of it and the last third is the worst thing made by mankind

Votes: 79 9.0%

• Total voters

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I think I like the idea of Star Wars more than I actually enjoy the thing itself. The OT was a big part of my childhood, but I didn't enjoy the prequels. I thought TFA was fine, Rogue One was pandering but spectacular, and I really didn't like TLJ. But that's fine!

I am enjoying Fallen Order at the moment but broadly Star Wars is not something I can get that get up about any more.

I have a kid on the way and I'm looking forward to watching with them in a few years.

Oct 27, 2017
I never really liked Star Wars that much, never saw what people liked so much about them. I thought they were fine movies, but thats about it.

So with the constant arguing about the SW movies, the hostility and toxicity I feel kind of blessed that I don't care about the SW-saga.

Oct 25, 2017
Was never that big of a fan to begin with, the original movies were pretty meh and Luke is a terrible protag until the the last movie

love the CGI Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance thou
This is where I'm at.

Most of the side material of the franchise is where I get the most enjoyment like the TV shows and the games.

Nov 7, 2017
I was bored to death with Episode 1 and 2
(I actually fell asleep in the theater for AOTC, watched it the second time and other than the Yoda fighting hype it was quite boring). Episode 3 had flashes of brilliance (Order 66 montage) but I can't get over the cheesy dialogue.

The OT are classic movies (yea even ROTJ)

I enjoyed TFA even though it felt "safe" to me.
I absolutely loved TLJ (prob even more than ESB)

We'll see if I enjoy the last movie of the Skywalker saga.

I do agree that I am pretty fascinated at the prequel world and lore. Lucas just dropped the ball with everything else

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I'm probably more invested in the SW universe than I have been at any time in my life. Growing up I was more of a Trekkie (but I enjoyed SW, had a few toys etc) but Force Awakens really spoke to me. Its Star Wars nailed down to a tee whilst also being really good 'entertainment' cinema. It looks great, feels great. Its a well paced movie with drama whilst having a few nods to the OT with visual cues and motifs that made me feel right at home. I didn't realise I liked Star Wars as much as I did until FA.

I'm not sure how I view the entire universe as a whole though. There seems be so much tonal difference between all formats of Star Wars (which is down to difference mediums and audiences) that I'm not quite sure what Star Wars actually is anymore. There are certain elements that really appeal to me but other elements, not so much. I think the general core of the OT and Sequels (and RO) are really strong though.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I do, even the prequels.

I didn't like TLJ though, and Solo was just unnecessary.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do, even the prequels.

I didn't like TLJ though, and Solo was just unnecessary.

The Last Jedi is literally the only Star Wars movie I don't like. Attack of the Clones isn't great, I admit, but the whole movie is redeemed by the scenes later in it - like the part where Anakin tells Obi-Wan he came to rescue him and Obi-Wan is just like "you're doing a great job" and Windu just casually removing Jango's head.

It helps Padmé was kinda badass in it too and I just love that final moment where Palpatine is looking at his clone army and Yoda is like "oh we're fucked".

I actually don't even mind Solo. I think the hate it gets is really overblown. The focus on the underworld and the Kessel Run scenes were fantastic and I loved Lando and his droid. Woody Harrelson plays one of the best characters in Star Wars and the tease at the end with Maul got me way more excited for a sequel than anything The Last Jedi did.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I enjoy the majority of it, but have issues with parts of it that feel heavily flawed. The lowest points for me are definitely the prequels and some of the later EU novels.

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
It's too much. The magic was built by decades of not being able to watch them as our nostalgia morphed the original movies into something bigger than they were.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed every movie to some degree except the unmitigated disaster that was Attack o/t Clones.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of it. Don't like Solo, actively dislike the prequels and am underwhelmed by force awakens. Love the original trilogy, rogue one, mandalorian and TLJ.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i guess I'd ci
I think I like the idea of Star Wars more than I actually enjoy the thing itself. The OT was a big part of my childhood, but I didn't enjoy the prequels. I thought TFA was fine, Rogue One was pandering but spectacular, and I really didn't like TLJ. But that's fine!
This is broadly where I'm at. I guess I'm a lapsed fan? I want to be brought back in, but the new stuff is all so slavish to the OT that I can't get excited about it at all. Do something *new* please!

I'm still into it enough to want to see IX in the theaters before it's spoiled everywhere, but I'm not expecting it to suddenly salvage this entire trilogy, which has at no point been better than "fine".

I like the prequels conceptually, there are some wild ideas in there that I love, but Lucas is such an awful writer/director that they rarely shine through.

Even the OT movies are not actually as good as Star Wars' monolithic status in pop culture suggests. Empire is pretty great, Jedi has high highs but some low lows (the first act in particular is pretty dire), and ANH is just B-tier sci-fantasy schlock held up by genuinely fantastic production design (sometimes I think Ralph McQuarrie is basically 99% of the reason Star Wars is anything to begin with).

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I do. The Prequel movies were weak, but they spawned The Clone Wars Cartoon which is legit some of the best Star Wars content out there, and The Mandalorian most recently has been really good.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm a bit over the whole thing at this point to be honest. I can't really get excited about Star Wars anymore, I think it would do the franchise a lot of good to take a long break, but I know that isn't going to happen, and a lot of people seem to still enjoy it so what do I know..

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Everything but the Last Jedi evokes positive nostalgic feeling in me with a few even being good films

with the asterisk being I dont consider the 2 spinoffs to be Star Wars films — I pretend they were miniseries that aired on Starz or Showtime and were edited to movie form

so I can rewatch anything but the last 3 things they've put out. That's a great trend

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't fucks with the cartoons, but love pretty much everything else, even if I'm critical of TFA and Solo. TLJ and Rogue One are some of the best Star Wars has ever been.
The prequels are honestly just bad. No RotS is not secretly decent either. But I don't hate them either.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I am not a "star wars nut" but i watched all movies and played nearly all Star wars themed games so i would consider me a fan.

I think i enjoyed all the movies. Some where better but i liked them all. The old ones, Episode 1-3 and the new Disney ones...good fun

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I love the OT, enjoyed the prequels even though they were corny and think the new trilogy has been mediocre at best.

Oct 27, 2017
To me, Star Wars has become a couple of movies I like and a couple of movies I don't much care for. I Some of them, like ESB and TLJ, I genuinely love but for the most part I don't care that much about it. Something being a SW property does not automatically excite me like it would when I was a teenager. If actors/writers/directors I really like work on future SW movies I'll probably give them a watch but that's about as far as my interest goes these days.

wookybro

Dec 30, 2018
I can't enjoy TPM and AOTC anymore, but I still enjoy watching any other piece of Star Wars media.

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoy the universe and regardless of any future films it will always hold a special place for me because of the OT.

I have narrative criticisms for pretty much any of the star wars movies, but I still enjoy elements of them all (some of them I enjoy more than others, of course).

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for Star Wars much. I have watched all of the mainline movies, played some games.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took me awhile to realize I can still love the original movies with my childhood heroes even after the new sequel movies shit all over them.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Prequels are unforgivably bad so no, I cant follow you there. A lot of the filler stuff can be very, very hard to get through. The IP paints itself into a corner very often and it asks you to shut off your brain too often.

OT and New Trilogy are great though, I also really enjoyed most of Rogue One and Mandalorian so far is fantastic. Pretty pumped for the future, thats for sure.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Yes, I enjoy them all for different reasons even while acknowledging their faults. Never got on the various hate trains.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Seen the 6 movies when I was a kid, The Force Awakens just for the « woah they made a new Star Wars 10 years later ? » aspect, and Rogue One because friends wanted to go see it. Played a few games here and there.

It was cool as a child but I don't really care for it now. Same as superhero movies.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100%. I have my issues here and there, but at the end of the day - Star Wars is my favourite IP and I love it to death.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't *hate* any of the movies, although Attack of the Clones gets kinda close to that ledge. I have some issues with a few of them but I still enjoy watching them from time to time.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the original trilogy and all of the new ones. The prequels were a definite low point, but I still watched them and got some enjoyment out of them.

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017
The more you love it the less of it you enjoy. I think reading reactions to Metallica's Death Magnetic years ago was the first time I ever considered that the more loyal a Metallica fan claimed to be, the fewer Metallica songs they seemed to actually like. Same with Star Wars, and probably every thing that commands a hardcore fan base.

Me, I like it all quite a bit. Some of it I like much, much more than other parts. But even the low points are still entries in my favorite IP of all time and as long as it seems to be crafted as a sincere attempt to tell a story in the Star Wars world, I'm more than likely going to be good with it to some degree.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
nah, its ruined for me. cant get excited for IX.. it will most likely just be "ok", for me. the magic is gone.

it was Rogue One that did it for me, half-way through the movie i just thought "yep, thats enough Star Wars for me". i dont remember a single thing from that movie, it was so pointless to me.

Solo and TLJ were decent popcorn movies, but not very exciting since the magic was gone. i'll probably never watch them again in my life, with so much other media to consume.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I plan on rewatching all ten films over the next two and a half weeks. Won't regret a single minute.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Anyway this thread inspired me to make this

78313723_10221267227968979_2846049032038514688_n.jpg