• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

It is imperfect, but do you still enjoy Star Wars as a whole ?

• "I do" , I forgive its flaws, and focus on positives

Votes: 580 65.8%
  • "It's coarse, and rough, and irritating" There is more bad than good at this point

Votes: 195 22.1%
  • It will depend on how IX bridges all the films and honors the legacy of them all

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • I enjoy 2/3 of it and the last third is the worst thing made by mankind

Votes: 79 9.0%

• Total voters

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of people, I only really struggle with the prequels. They are bad movies. But I can draw enough out of them to still watch. Mainly because it's Star Wars.

On the whole I enjoy the franchise.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean the prequels are shit movies in their own right and deserve criticism but in the context of Star Wars they are more like ridiculous "so bad it's good" comedies. They are still fun.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I can't even watch Phantom Menace. I get that it was made for kids, but it's so awful. I've only seen the other two prequels once, but Phantom Menace kills watching any of them for me. I pretend like they don't exist, basically. I love the original trilogy and the TFA and TLJ. I also liked Rogue One and Solo, although Solo wasn't quite as good as I was hoping.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
I used to love Star Wars so much when I was a kid, these days I don't find it appealing at all. It's world and lore is just off-putting. Haven't enjoyed the new movies, really disliked the main movies but found Rogue One kinda alright, barely. That said, the trailer for the latest one looks cool ...except for that space horse scene which looks ridiculous.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The only Star Wars film that I do not like to revisit is Attack of the Clones. I can find redeeming qualities about Revenge of the Sith and Phantom Menance that made them fun to rewatch, and the rest of the films are great, but AotC is just plain bad.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Love pretty much everything but the prequels. Luckily enough, when I don't like something I just... don't talk about it? They didn't ruin my life nor the franchise. Far more enjoyable to focus on what I love--after all, isn't the moral of Star Wars that love is always more powerful than hate?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this positive thread OP, there's far too much negativity about Star Wars, especially the new ones. It's nice to have a Star Wars thread free from stuff like Rey is 100% a Mary Sue in Last Jedi.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thanks for this positive thread OP, there's far too much negativity about Star Wars, especially the new ones. It's nice to have a Star Wars thread free from stuff like Rey is 100% a Mary Sue in Last Jedi.
It's nice to have more positivity, I enjoy all the films, even the prequels which have a The Room type quality to them

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate any of it per se but I think the sequels bungled a ton of potential, and the prequels did a lot of world building but were really poorly written. I really love some of the old EU stuff, like anything old republic, the Kyle Katarn saga, and some of the post- EP6 stuff.

It's important to remember that in the end the feelings we have towards this brand are attempts at getting us to cultivate an identity around it and spend give more money to Disney, which is a scarily large corporation at this point.

edit: removed image

Last edited:

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
The only movie I think that I can't watch is AotC, everything else I have some fun, even if I don't think they're that good (I, III, RotJ, Solo). I'm loving Mandalorian, though, and I haven't watched the animated series.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I enjoy all of them at cinema but TLJ (yeah, I know, you're a hater, etc.). That said I still want to see the last one, but my hype is at zero right now.

More or less this (didn't watch Solo):
V > IV > VII > VI > III > Rogue One > I > II > VIII

EMBee99

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
It's all good. Some of it is great. Couple of the films and shows are fantastic. It's a dependable world full of opportunity for great storytellers to do a lot of fun things within, like Marvel Comics or James Bond.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I still enjoy it OP. I wish TFA and TLJ kinda did things better but it is what it is. I'm not exactly excited for Episode 9, but when I watch that Star Wars Kids short man, I get feels.

I gotta say tho, its very hard going into Star Wars threads on this site. You either get folks complaining about Rian, complaining about JJ, or complaining about the other. It just derails the thread and turns toxic.

Oct 27, 2017
I still enjoy them all, despite the flaws in certain entries.

At the end of the day, its Star Wars and I love Star Wars.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Well I chose the last answer but actually I enjoyed 7/8 of it. TFA had major flaws but it was still an okay movie. TLJ on the other hand... still looking forward to Episode IX though.

e: plus Rogue One is one of the best Star Wars movies imo. Haven't watched Solo. So 8/10 ??

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I can't say that I'm a hardcore Star Wars fan in the first place, but

OT is excellent.

PT has its moments, but the poor writing, flat performances, and overused CG are hard to ignore. Definitely the weakest.

ST (+ RO and Solo) is fine, totally watchable, but not as good as the OT.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That being said, I came in expecting this image and haven't seen it, so I guess I must post it:

e7a.jpg
RLM are sexist and racist. Please do not post their shit as if its acceptance content.
www.resetera.com

A Critique of Red Letter Media’s Bigoted Content (See Staff Post)

For years now, RLM has been given a pass because people find their content entertaining. Despite multiple instances of blatant sexist, racist and anti-progressive rhetoric, they remain widely referenced and enjoyed by ERA. When folks bring up their problematic commentary, it's often ignored or...

Last edited:

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I love the original trilogy, and I think The Mandalorian is fucking awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed TFA, Rogue One, and even Solo.

I don't like any of the prequels really. There are some nice parts of them like the music, the podrace, the Darth Maul fight, but overall I think the prequels were mostly trash and the worst.

I hate TLJ. I do think it has great cinematography and I really enjoyed the Rey / Kylo story arc up until after the throne room scene, but TLJ to me felt like it was made by someone who doesn't like Star Wars, or at least doesn't understand it. Way too much focus on subverting expectations and not enough good writing. It killed my hype for Ep 9.

I'd have to say I do still enjoy Star Wars, but only if it takes it's cues from what made Star Wars what it is. Namely cues from the original trilogy. It doesn't have to be reimagining it from other perspectives, it doesn't need to be something else. This is why The Mandalorian works, it feels and looks like good old fashioned Star Wars. As long as any new media keeps that focus then I'll likely enjoy it.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Of course, I have issues with certain bits but overall I still enjoy all of it.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I generally like everything but the prequels themselves, and I'm not as silly as to think that the prequels ruined the OT or something.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate any of it per se but I think the sequels bungled a ton of potential, and the prequels did a lot of world building but were really poorly written. I really love some of the old EU stuff, like anything old republic, the Kyle Katarn saga, and some of the post- EP6 stuff.

That being said, I came in expecting this image and haven't seen it, so I guess I must post it:

e7a.jpg

It's important to remember that in the end the feelings we have towards this brand are attempts at getting us to cultivate an identity around it and spend give more money to Disney, which is a scarily large corporation at this point.
I guess I'll stop liking something that brings me immense joy because...Red Letter Media posted some dumbass video?

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy each one of the Star Wars movies - yes. Each film is charming in its own right.

Empire, Last Jedi, and A New Hope remain my personal favorites thus far.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I still enjoy Star Wars but it's not as strong as it once was. Still love the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy has its moments. Something about the recent Star Wars stuff has kinda been hollow. I enjoy it still, but it's more of a "I'm going to appreciate how cool this looks and just nod along with the dumb stuff" rather than really caring about the characters, story and setting.

Nov 8, 2017
Simply by growing up and reevaluating it all with a more critical eye than I cast as a child / teenager, I have long since come to the conclusion that the series overall is probably more bad than good. There are little pockets of excellence strewn about, and I can still somewhat enjoy the movies that aren't so great, but it's certainly not a series I will pull punches on when I don't like something about it.

The OT started out good, has a great middle chapter, and an "ok" final chapter (the actual ending is very good but it's an uneven film). The Prequels are kind of just flat bad with a few bright spots here and there. They're so cheesy but this isn't some low budget schlock where I can cut it some slack for the conditions in which it was made - it had every opportunity to thrive and it's just bleh.

The volume of Star Wars releases has also long gone past the point where it's this special thing. Previously you had a small number of core films and then a world of EU stuff you could engage with as much or as little as you wanted. Now even the core films are getting to 9 entries and there's other major blockbusters between them, so ehh.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
I grew up loving those movies. Literally wore out multiple VHS tapes. Then I saw the Phantom Menace at midnight. I was 12. It's my earliest memory of cinematic disappointment. Just kind of killed it for me after that. I saw Force Awakens out of curiosity on BluRay but I have zero desire to watch any of the prequels or newer ones. I just can't care about any of it. Or don't want to.

That said, the Mandalorian is pretty rad. But I think that's only because you could take all the SW shit out and it would work perfectly as a Western or some sort of Feudal Japan Samurai type thing.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
RLM are sexist and racist. Please do not post their shit as if its acceptance content.
www.resetera.com

For years now, RLM has been given a pass because people find their content entertaining. Despite multiple instances of blatant sexist, racist and anti-progressive rhetoric, they remain widely referenced and enjoyed by ERA. When folks bring up their problematic commentary, it's often ignored or...
If they are sexist and racist why do they have a community thread on this site

Oct 26, 2017
Voted for 2. At this point, I've only enjoyed the OT, TFA, Rogue One and TLJ. The rest have all been trash. I especially despise the quality of the PT.
Frankly, I think IX is shaping up to be disastrous too.

www.resetera.com

I feel like comments like yours are trying to be defensive of the fact that the person is using the mindless consumption photo. There's nothing inherently sexist or racist about that comment, and yet you're trying to police it as if the person posted something that is sexist/racist. That is honestly very disingenuous of you when you had multiple options: 1) attacking the argument. Or 2) report the content if it was so bad and leave it up to mods.

Keep in mind that the report button exists for a reason. You are not a moderator and you have no right to police others when there hasn't been a threadmark or a staff report regarding RLM. In other words, if you feel that something is egregiously offensive, report it and leave it up to the mods. Don't tell people what to post or not to post.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they are sexist and racist why do they have a community thread on this site
The fact they have a community thread doesn't mean their endless examples of racist and sexist comments and slurs no longer exist.

I personally feel uncomfortable seeing content from people who engage in sexist and racist comments treated as normal, I am not sure how having a community thread makes those comments any less morally offensive but thats not my call to make.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The fact they have a community thread doesn't mean their endless examples of racist and sexist comments and slurs no longer exist.

I personally feel uncomfortable seeing content from people who engage in sexist and racist comments treated as normal, I am not sure how having a community thread makes those comments any less morally offensive but thats not my call to make.

Again, you're trying to act like that specific instance had racist/sexist comments. Don't play the "well they had multiple sexist/racist comments" card and then ignore the content of the post you were responding to.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I love every Star Wars. The sequels the least, but I still love them. I love the prequels the most. They went 1000x further than anything else in terms of universe creation, political background, explaining the Jedi and Jedi order, geopolitics, and just a whole knowledge of the order of the world that was created.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, you're trying to act like that specific instance had racist/sexist comments. Don't play the "well they had multiple sexist/racist comments" card and then ignore the content of the post you were responding to.
You feel posting content from racists and sexists is ok as long as the content itself doesn't have their racist and sexist ideology? That doesn't sit well with me at all personally. I feel that just normalizes racism and sexism. I also would not be comfortable posting "innocent" memes from say PewDiePie in the same way. But like I said, that is just me as I don't feel comfortable normalizing anyone who makes racist/sexist comments and is unapologetic about it. Other people are free to look past whatever they want.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For 40 years it has been a constant barrage of Star Wars movies, tv shows, video games, books, toys, flamethrowers, etc. Some of it is classic, some of it is ok, a lot of it is cynical dogshit. At this point I don't get excited about any of it until it is out and word of mouth is positive.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i enjoy none of these joyless movies. good ones, bad ones, i think they're all pretty basic

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You feel posting content from racists and sexists is ok as long as the content itself doesn't have their racist and sexist ideology? That doesn't sit well with me at all personally. I feel that just normalizes racism and sexism. I also would not be comfortable posting "innocent" memes from say PewDiePie in the same way. But like I said, that is just me as I don't feel comfortable normalizing anyone who makes racist/sexist comments and is unapologetic about it. Other people are free to look past whatever they want.

ok, I removed the image as I didn't intend for this discussion and I didn't mean to support the ideals in question. I was just referencing the meme. Can we stop with the derail and address the content of what I said instead?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok, I removed the image as I didn't intend for this discussion and I didn't mean to support the ideals in question. I was just referencing the meme. Can we stop with the derail and address the content of what I said instead?
To respond to your point it isn't just mindless forced enjoyment of corporate content. Some people genuinely love this universe and spending time in it. Which makes even the cheesy lesser films like the prequels enjoyable in their own unique way.

It's a fun universe, it's fun spending time in it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I consider myself a Star Wars fan.

Full disclosure, for me that basically means the movies. Never bothered with the EU books and comics and such before the Disney buy-out or after. The only Star Wars video game I've put an appreciable amount of time into is Rogue Leader on the GameCube (and I will still say that game is freaking incredible). The TV shows... I've watched the first two episodes of Mandalorian. I plan on catching up and seeing it out, but it's hardly a top priority. The cartoons I haven't really bothered with, but maybe someday.

So, the movies. I like almost all of them to varying degrees. I think the OT is great, obviously. TFA and TLJ hang with them, in my view and I'm looking forward to TROS. Rogue One was good, Solo was okay.

I used to be a diehard prequel hater, but I think seeing how toxic discussion has become surrounding the new movies, I just can't anymore. They're movies, who gives a shit? The fucking grown-ass men who dedicated their lives to trying to break Jake Lloyd, Ahmed Best, Kelly Marie Tran, Daisy Ridley etc. should be ashamed of themselves, and as much as I hated hearing it when it was used generically to rib on any nerdy fandoms - get a life. The people rooting for Knives Out to fail because Rian Johnson directed it? If Star Wars is that crucial to your identity as a human being you need to rethink a few things.

But yeah, as far as the prequels go. Judging them as movies, I don't think they're very good. I can enjoy 1 and 3 somewhat though. And they all have fantastic music and cool-ass creatures and planets and the like. I'm not going to lie, the ten-year-old me that saw Attack of the Clones in theaters went nuts when Yoda took out his mini lightsaber and went to town on Dooku. I may have been one of those douchebags lazily reciting the RLM prequel reviews between 2010-2012, but I'm not going to pretend that didn't happen.

So yeah, Star Wars, man. I enjoy it.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like them well enough, I can't imagine how invested you have to be in this series to have a fit that their pulpy sci-fi soap operas aren't good anymore

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The only Star Wars I genuinely dislike is the early seasons of Rebels (their tone and pacing and animation is blech). As much as I complain about TFA I don't hate hate it, I genuinely enjoy TPM, and adore the end of AOTC even if the rest is often embarrassing.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I checked out hard for a really long time after the PT. When I returned (and I still haven't watched the PT again because I don't own it and it's never on TV/Netflix for obvious reasons) and when I came back it was with a sense of 'healthy' detachment that's let me just fucking enjoy it again for what it is. I liked TFA, RO, TLJ and even have some love for Solo (it's pretty good!). And it feels fine. Like, there was a point where Star Wars was like this defining thing for me personally, and losing that after the PT was a bit odd but it's given me a much healthier way (there were some bumps along that road for sure) of consuming content in general, regardless of what it is - be it Marvel, Transformers, whatever. I don't get overly hung up on or get bent out of shape over other people's creative visions and execution on stuff I used to be so hyper-invested in.

So, I guess the answer is, I like it. It's pretty good. Probably even the prequels (thanks, Prequel Memes!).