• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
I watched it recently, I swear it was on my to watch list for 15 years haha. It was really incredible. The movie omg. I need to watch more Ikuhara. I did expect greatness as Ikuhara did my favourite parts of Sailor Moon but it was even better than I expected.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
qrEq2YM.gif

Nov 23, 2017
I have the Collector's Edition of the anime and movie, the Collectior's Edition of the manga, and the new After the Revolution manga. I have the Sega Saturn game too. I'm a massive Utena fan. I cosplayed her at a convention the last couple years while my fiancee was Anthy. Utena is my aesthetic. A woman on an endless journey with her lesbian partner.

I loved the anime and I really enjoy the aesthetic. The movie was interesting but should have been framed as a sequel instead of its own thing. After the Revolution was good until the very end, which was basic.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it recently, I swear it was on my to watch list for 15 years haha. It was really incredible. The movie omg. I need to watch more Ikuhara. I did expect greatness as Ikuhara did my favourite parts of Sailor Moon but it was even better than I expected.

All his shows are different but they retain that "fairy tale" feel to it.

Mawaru Penguindrum
7izkBo6.jpg

I need to rewatch this one. I remember really enjoying it, but I don't remember a lot of the specifics.

Yurikuma Arashi
kzStfzA.jpg

This one had a rough start, but it finished really strong.

Sarazanmai
gSsQAHB.jpg

Ikuhara makes a show focused on guy relationships. It's good, and weird in all the Ikuhara ways.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
The only show I own three times over: original dvd release, remastered no set, and now the blue rays.

Absolutely love it. It's a surrealist fairy tale about gender and sexuality.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
It was about 1998 I think when I first read about Utena in an anime magazine. The concept and something about the art completely enthralled me. I spent ages trying to find a way to watch it, but the best I could do with my non-existent budget was checking fan web sites with theories about the series in the library. The dream finally came true in 2004 when I got my own Internet connection at home and managed to see at least the movie, which is both a retelling and a sequel (it's complicated) of the original anime series. It was superb and absurd in equal measures.

Two years later, I managed to track down the anime. It was slow and the tone (at least for the first half of it) much less dark than the movie, but the extra time allowed the cast of characters to shine through. It's a story presented as a fairy tale about princes and princesses while in high school, of young dreams dashed by a bleak reality of manipulative monsters and sexual abuse, but which ultimately lead to a new world of hope and growth. It's quite revolutionary for something that came out in the 90's and, in fact, it keeps hitting you in the head that the characters want to bring revolution to the world.

Now in my older years, I rewatch the movie/series every five years or so. Still worth it. If you don't have the patience for a 40 episodes anime series, at least check out the movie.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been curious about it. The art style isn't my cup of tea but I can work with it.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Currently watching it and really enjoyed all the episodes so far.

The first ending is fucking incredible

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i remember seeing the movie drunk at a con panel.

good times. gooood times...

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The TV anime is fantastic. The movie is one of the best things I have ever watched. I watched it all earlier this year but it's one of those things that you could have immediately predicted as it was releasing that it was going to be iconic, deeply influential and shape media for years, it's just that good and unique. Episode 01 leaves a very good and strong impression right off the bat, someone watching that the week it released could have told you this was going to be a classic for decades.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
One of the greats. If you're confused by the show (don't blame you) or just want to know more about it there's an interesting website with all sorts of essays/analyses that really examine it in detail: http://ohtori.nu/analysis/

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend made me watch the series a few years ago. The first story arc is pretty boring, but one we reached the second arc (the Black Rose saga) I fell in love. I think the movie is bad though, lol

robox

Nov 10, 2017
i remember that i have an unopened dvd box set that my friend gifted me a long time ago.
i guess i thought it might be worth something? i don't even know anymore.
i had watched the first couple episodes and it was intriguing, but not quite enough to hook me in

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Me and my ex-wife started watching it a few years back, but we never finished it. I'll go back to it at some point. I did like it, despite it being repetitive. I liked the characters, and the story was interesting and weird and intriguing!

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
The day that no one on this accursed rock remembers Utena is a sad, sad day indeed.

The stairs, the elevator, the highway. The backflip, crouch, lunge, stab. It's all just so good.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just watched it + the movie this Summer!
It's a really fascinating show, equally beautiful and absurdist.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
meant to watch it with an ex years ago, because lesbianism & suppoosedly really good butch lesbian rep, but well, they're an ex for a good reason & I haven't really had the chance to watch it since then. :( I'm so bad with watching new (to me) stuff on my own anyway, hate it :(

irri

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I spent a long while making an AMV of Utena (linked shamelessly below). I love the symbolism and visual allegory that Ikuhara employs. He's an auteur!

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
The ultimate way to discover Utena back in the day was to be a kid who was only vaguely familiar with anime through the likes of DBZ, Yugioh, etc and stumble upon a VHS tape in the bargain bin at Kroger. It was arguably the first ANIME I watched ever and is still my favorite of all time.
Love this story