• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
http://expdvl.com/internet/FAMOUS/WWWINE~1.NET/~WODIGE/SSFS/DREAMW~1/030697~2.HTM

March 6, 1997

GameWorks opens first location on March 15

From ClariNet Electronic News Service:

LOS ANGELES--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--Feb. 12, 1997--MTV: Music Television and GameWorks, a new entertainment venture inspired by DreamWorks SKG, Sega and Universal Studios Inc., have teamed up for the opening of the premier GameWorks location

MTV will take viewers live to the opening of the premier GameWorks location in Seattle, on March 15. Exclusive MTV programming will include a three-hour pre-game show taped in and around Seattle, followed by the one-hour live telecast of the GameWorks Seattle grand opening and premier party. The GameWorks special will give MTV viewers the first ever look at GameWorks, including an on-site tour, profiles of all major games, celebrity video game competitions, celebrity interviews, and special musical performances.

GameWorks, the newest entertainment location in Seattle, offers a hip nightclub atmosphere featuring classic, as well as the most advanced and never-seen-before "signature" games. The 30,000 square foot GameWorks in Seattle also features a brewpub, cafe and Internet lounge.

I watched this live on MTV 23 years ago and it was one of the most amazing TV specials I've ever seen in my life! The show aired right at the dawn of Sega's Model 3 hardware and showcased a bunch of Sega arcade games. It also had interviews with Bill Gates, Yu Suzuki and a very very very V---E---R---Y different and young looking Toshihiro Nagoshi!! I think he was around late 20's at the time.

This was the show that debuted the very FIRST(and I mean first as in ANYWHERE) video footage of SuperGT(aka Scud Race) and to say I was blown the fuck away is an understatement. I mean, Sega had just released Model 3 games and I had never ever seen graphics like that anywhere! They also had something like a 16 player Virtual Formula Racing link up cabinet LAN party where all sorts of celebrities and even BILL GATES HIMSELF participated, and I he won a couple races!

I swear I wish I had recorded this show but didn't have a VCR at the time. Arrrgh!!!!! Does anyone have this 1 hour MTV show in their archives that you can upload somewhere? Youtube yields no results, unless I'm searching the wrong way.

Man, this was such a fantastic TV special. The birth of GameWorks(which is now dead), Bill Gates talking and playing Sega arcade games, footage of a shitload of Model 3 games, and an awesome interview with a young and enthusiastic Nagoshi-san.

Any help locating this on the web would be greatly appreciated.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Can't comment on the special in particular, but someone tell me if this is an actual memory I have or if it's just a fever dream.

I swear gameworks had a form of Tekken (or it could have been Virtua Fighter) where the game was somehow controlled by people moving on a platform as the characters themselves? I've literally never seen it mentioned anywhere on the internet and I've never seen anything like it afterwards. This would have been around....1998/9 I guess. Maybe 2000.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Can't comment on the special in particular, but someone tell me if this is an actual memory I have or if it's just a fever dream.

I swear gameworks had a form of Tekken (or it could have been Virtua Fighter) where the game was somehow controlled by people moving on a platform as the characters themselves? I've literally never seen it mentioned anywhere on the internet and I've never seen anything like it afterwards. This would have been around....1998/9 I guess. Maybe 2000.

Sega Activator ?

rude

Oct 25, 2017

thanks, but this isn't it. It was literally a large gray (or maybe white) platform. Big enough to hold several people on even though only two people could fight each other. I'm almost positive the platform didn't have any visible devices to track movement, so they must have been hidden or something.

I wish I remembered more

Oct 27, 2017

Seems you are right.

OP
OP
Isamu

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Ha I just watched this a week ago, let me find the link one sec

edit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeDCigCF8QA this, right?

Yes thats the one. I too found it immediately after posting the thread. Didn't realize someone had uploaded it. It's not the *full* show however. Missing the segment where Bill Gates, Will Smith and few other celebrities are racing head to head against each other in an 8-Player Virtua Formula linked up lan session. Very very cool! If you by any chance find the full version let me know.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
User Warned: Inappropriate Language and Commentary
I haven't seen this, not to derail, but got damn Carmen Electra's boobs were the image for all my AOL punting progs (teenagers are retards).