• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which controller?

• Xbox One

Votes: 1,006 42.2%
  • DualShock 4

Votes: 1,343 56.3%
  • Joy Con

Votes: 35 1.5%

• Total voters

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
There's aspects of both I like for different reasons, so I often alternate when I play (PC gamer, so I use both).
I'd love to see something like the Scuf Vantage be more common, though.

ps4-scuf-custom-vantage-silver-metallic.jpg

Except for less than a billion dollars. And with below touchpad placement for options & share.

I kind of recoiled a bit upon seeing this

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I think you can play any playstation game as well or better on an xbox controller. But im trying to picture playing gears of war with a dual shock.. Yeah no, just no.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
The PS4 touchpad is king. I love programming those buttons on pc. It essentially gives you two extra buttons.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I do prefer it over the xbone one.

My ranking would go:
1. DS4
2. Switch Pro
3. XB1
4. Joycons (which are utter trash compared to the previous 3).

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I think you can play any playstation game as well or better on an xbox controller. But im trying to picture playing gears of war with a dual shock.. Yeah no, just no.

The regular XB pad doesn't have enough inputs for all current gen PS4 games, that use the touchpad and the underlying two button for crucial actions. The D-pad is worse for fighters as well.

I don't see how Gears would be impossible to play on DS, since it's perfectly fine for Mass Effect, Uncharted, and other 3rd person action games. The same goes for FPS, speaking as someone who's put considerable hours on Destiny.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Poll on a heavily PS4 biased (user wise) is irrelevant. The Xbox controller is best. I own all 3 of the options

Oct 28, 2017
They're both really close. I love both. I hope Microsoft doesn't change theirs for next gen. I loved the 360 controller and wish they kept it but the One is a good controller too.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see ds4 winning the pole....in my mind it's clearly second behind the XB1 pad and I own all 3 systems.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I also prefer the Dualshock 4. I like that it doesn't take up my entire hands like the XB1 controller and leaves room to breathe

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I love the Xbox controller but hate how hard their front bumpers are to press. It's a dealbreaker for me. I love the joycons but they are too small for my big hands. So DS4 wins since it's decent sized and has easy to press buttons lmao.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Prefer the DS4. Don't like the feel of the buttons on Xbox One, especially the shoulder buttons (triggers are fine). It's irrational, but they feel less responsive to me, even though they work just fine?

Also: ds4 has a share button

Poll on a heavily PS4 biased (user wise) is irrelevant. The Xbox controller is best. I own all 3 of the options
The fact that this is a HEAVILY ps4 biased site yet the ds4 is barely ahead (200 votes) of xb1 controller speaks volumes to how good the xb1 controller is.

Elite controller is king with the 4 back paddles for me.

Can't wait for the xb1 elite v2 controller so I can adjust stick tension.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I prefer Xbox, but only barely. I probably wouldn't really select between them outside of the context of a poll.

Looking forward to the Elite V2. Gonna use it as my go-to pc controller.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This take sounds just the same as downplaying GOTY votes for an imagined platform bias, when a personal favorite doesn't get as many votes as you wanted.
The userbase obviously matters, if you can't use the controller you won't vote for it. Or do you think it would be possible for a platform which 3 people owns to get their controller winning the poll?

This is a core gamer board though, which means that it won't be a 2:1 advantage for the DS4, but it's hard to know for sure without a general hardware poll of what platforms people own.

Both controllers can be used on PC though and I think there was a poll awhile back which controller PC gamers prefer which had the XB1 controller at the top.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The userbase obviously matters, if you can't use the controller you won't vote for it. Or do you think it would be possible for a platform which 3 people owns to get their controller winning the poll?

This is a core gamer board though, which means that it won't be a 2:1 advantage for the DS4, but it's hard to know for sure without a general hardware poll of what platforms people own.

Both controllers can be used on PC though and I think there was a poll awhile back which controller PC gamers prefer which had the XB1 controller at the top.

There's a lot of Nintendo players on this forum as well, yet the Pro pad isn't mentioned that often. The forums always mirror the current climate to some extent, like last gen, when the 360 was the popular choice among core gamers, and its pad was favored in the old place.

I wager, that most core gamers have used more than one pad, so it's not like they would only have experience on using one. Anecdotally, I've never used a modern Nintendo pad, but I've used the XB pad eventhough I've never owned any of the consoles. I didn't like the placement of the sticks, the edges on top of them, and the hard convex ABXY buttons. They made my thumbs hurt after a while.

You could make the same argument about accustomization with PC gamers, since the XB pad has been supported there longer than DS, AFAIK.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
DS 4 is the best controller minus battery, Sony has put out. The Elite controller though is the best controller i have ever had.

The bumper buttons are slightly better on the DS tho which are better for from soft games.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The fact that this is a HEAVILY ps4 biased site yet the ds4 is barely ahead (200 votes) of xb1 controller speaks volumes to how good the xb1 controller is.

Elite controller is king with the 4 back paddles for me.

Can't wait for the xb1 elite v2 controller so I can adjust stick tension.

*Insert rolleyes.gif*

What on earth suggest that there's any form of PS4 bias in this forum? The constant ps4 bashing at every given opportunity? The endless Nintendo threads about the most trivial topics imaginable? If it's about MS poor first party representation in GOTY ranking...well blame them for not making anything worth giving a shit. The rest of the internet concurs anyway.

There's some serious downplaying going on here smh. Xbox fanboys in general just need to pop out from their bubble and acknowledge that their preferred controller isn't exactly as flawless and universally beloved as they believe.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Got an Xbox One controller for my PC and honestly if there was a good wireless adapter that let me use it on my PS4. I'd use it on that too lmao.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose more PS4 owners would naturally mean the Dualshock 4 would come out on top in this poll.

But....there is no way the Dualshock is a better controller than the Xbox controller, the analog sticks are in an unnatural position, it's awful!

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I do prefer ds4. Never tried the last xbone gamepad, but the first revisions had terrible bumpers. The only thing i don't like in ds4 is battery life, but with 2 gamepads this problem is solved.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The DS4 just feels better than the XBox one controller in nearly every aspect so I prefer that.. although I wouldn't be against the DS5 having the same stick locations as the Xbox controller or at least having the option to change.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the DS4 as well. The bumpers just feel wrong to me on the Xbox One controller (although I use that one more, especially on PC), and symmetrical 4 life.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Until the personal favorite gets a top spot.

Perhaps for you if that's your mindset. Any vote for popularity where there is bias is never going to work anywhere as the results are just not a true representation . If every single person in this thread owned or used extensively each of the controllers and could give an unbiased vote then and then only then would these types of polls work.

I really don't give two hoots which vote wins here, or in any goty votes (which I don't even follow) I'm nearly pointing out it's an irrelevant vote on a platform which clearly has user bias ( in terms of raw users ) representing the voting

Dec 4, 2017
I don't have a DS4, so can't compare it to that, however I have a DS3 and an XBO controller so between them, I'd say the XBO dpad feels worse to me, since I find it harder to do diagonal movement with it (compared to DS3), the shoulder buttons are clicky instead of squishy (squishy feels better to me), and the ABXY have too much travel. The concave triggers fell better though, since my hands tend to sweat and slide off the DS3's convex ones. However the material feels worse (I prefer the textured one on the DS3 triggers).

EDIT: oh, one more thing. It seems to me the DS3 was intended to be "dribbled", by placing the index and middle fingers on the shoulder buttons and triggers, respectively, whereas the XBO controller feels better when using just the index and switching between triggers and shoulder buttons (since it's heavier, it's not comfortable to hold with just the ring and pinky fingers).

Last edited:

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
DS4 is the best controller I've tried. I had 4 just for PC gaming before I had a PS4.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love the DS4. I had my fair share of problems with it in the past but now it is my favorite controller of all time and my go to Pad for PC.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Dualshock has always felt better than Xbox controllers for me. The latter one is too big, uncomfortable grip and makes my left thumb extend way too much.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Perhaps for you if that's your mindset. Any vote for popularity where there is bias is never going to work anywhere as the results are just not a true representation . If every single person in this thread owned or used extensively each of the controllers and could give an unbiased vote then and then only then would these types of polls work.

I really don't give two hoots which vote wins here, or in any goty votes (which I don't even follow) I'm nearly pointing out it's an irrelevant vote on a platform which clearly has user bias ( in terms of raw users ) representing the voting

Nah. I don't need such vindication of my personal preferences. After all, I'm not the one complaining about the results, or cheering them. If they're so meaningless, why even bother?

Your argument is the same, as claiming you couldn't vote for GOTY without playing through every single game that year, while withholding such claims when a personal favorite is on the top. In which case, the voting is suddenly a meaningful representation of the whole. I get the impression, that's the case here as well. They're personal preferences, which some apparently just can't take, when the one they hold universally best isn't actually such for everyone.

Personally speaking, I have a plenty of experience with the XB pad, as I loaned the system from a friend for a month. It just wasn't as good and comfortably to use as the DS is for me.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's so surprising about it? its all opinion, i didn't know yours was the standard.
I have access to all three and i myself choose PS4 > XB1 > Switch last.

I just thought the XB pad was widely considered the standard in gaming, for me its not even close but yeah its all opinion.

OP
OP
Theef

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Looks like the xbox controller is receiving more actual praise, the poll seems to reflect the fact that PS4 was the popular console to buy at launch.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
been playing since the ps dual analogs first came around in 97, so i've used them for 20+ years now... and i use that to preface that i've always much preferred xbox's controls since the original s redesign from the duke. imo, it's perfect. asymmetrical is perfect for sports games, especially 2K. it just feels right in your hands. especially playing on pc or emulators? it's the go-to.

also, never was too found of the symmetrical setup. it's usable but not ideal.

Last edited: