• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which controller?

• Xbox One

Votes: 1,006 42.2%
  • DualShock 4

Votes: 1,343 56.3%
  • Joy Con

Votes: 35 1.5%

• Total voters

Mabec

Oct 27, 2017
From my own experience DS4 is way more durable. I went thru almost 3 Xbox One controllers that started drifting and getting way to lose on the joysticks, the DS4 is still working fine. So 3 XB1 controllers = 1 DS4

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Only complaint is the battery. Otherwise it's a fantastic controller.

Never could understand or get used to the asymmetrical sticks on the Xbox controller when I had a 360. Hate that layout.

Which version do you have? My launch pad's battery last about 5-6 hours of straight play, whereas the one that came with the Pro lasts at least 8 hours. That's more than enough for me. The launch pad is ok as well, since I don't usually play that long, and when I do I take breaks every once in a while, during which I can recharge it.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From my own experience DS4 is way more durable. I went thru almost 3 Xbox One controllers that started drifting and getting way to lose on the joysticks, the DS4 is still working fine. So 3 XB1 controllers = 1 DS4
I burn through one Dualshock per year. I find them pretty crap in that regard. That said, I play a lot of Playstation.

Oct 27, 2017

Weird, I had the opposite experience. On my 3rd (4th?) DS4 mainly due to the usb port getting loose, but I've also had bluetooth connectivity issues, broken triggers and rubber peeling off thumbsticks.

Been using an X1 pad since late 2016 and it's still going strong.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
My preferred controller is currently the DS4, i used to have a Day One Xbox One and used to love the stick placement, i did have an issue on 1 of the triggers clonking though as the pad had fallen off inside, but since moving to a PS4 i quickly got used to the placement on that and in my opinion the DS4 feels far more solid in its build than the Xbox, the only thing i don't like in it is the pathetic battery life i wish i could just pop in some AA rechargeable batteries and have them last a week before a charge is required, i really hope they address this battery issue on the PS5.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox controller for FPS, dual shock for 2D games. I will say the DS4 is a huge step up, and the previous DS controllers were embarrassing.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I burn through one Dualshock per year. I find them pretty crap in that regard. That said, I play a lot of Playstation.

I play several hours every weekday evening, from monday to thursday, and occasionally on weekends as well, and the only issue I have is the left stick's decreased functionality on two controllers I've used since September 2014 and December 2016. They work just fine otherwise. I mostly play games where the left stick is pushed down to run, and I probably use too much force based on the marks they both have where the stick touches the socket's upper edge. I wish they'll make those edges a bit more rounded on DS5.

Mabec

Oct 27, 2017
I should mention Iam on that DS4 v2 one, I use that one daily on PC/PS4, well over a year by now

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are either treating them really badly or really unlucky. I have had my dualshock 4 since 2014 use it every week and used by multiple people i have dropped it countless of times and it is still going strong. The only issue i've had is the analogue sticks rubber degrading but still usable.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
I prefer the DS4, but the switch Pro controller is the most comfortable of the 3 for me.

Deleted member 20941

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got a PS4 and it's not bad in any way but the Xbox One controller is really just perfection. The DualShock 3 was much much worse.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Without the doubt, Xbox One (Elite) controller is my favorite, not a Dualshock fan.. always pain in my hands afterwards. (Likely because I'm not used to it)

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yes, but if you subject more people to DS4 controllers you will automatically have more votes to that specific controller.

I honestly think if you cherrypick 1000 people that both own a PS4 and Xbox the majority will choose the Xbox controller.

But its all cool, i mean i think DS4 is a great controller as well.

They are both great controllers, including the Switch pro. It's just that people have differently sized hands and if it's something you hold for large lengths of time that's a significant factor. I have both and I stopped using the xbox controller after a month due to how large it is and clicky the buttons are.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Dualshock 4 is a quantum leap from terrible 3, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the Xbox controller. The Xbox controller is simply more comfortable, has better build quality, better materials, is asymmetrical, and doesn't feel like a happy meal toy.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Maybe I would prefer the DS4 if it didn`t have that pointless touchpad and those laughable tiny share/options buttons. So XO for me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I find both controllers to be comfortable, but the xbox controller is still considerably better.
in terms of triggers and rumble, its not even cose. The xbox controller is far superior.
The one thing that I prefer on the DS4 is the shoulder buttons. Dpad is also better on DS4 though it's so underused in games I play that I don't really take note.
The DS4's giant touchpad is utilized well in some games, but in most, it's kind of an annoyance as the share/options button are far too tiny and far too squished on the sides. I wish the touchpad was smaller. The xbox controllers more traditional layout in this regard is generally better IMO.

Also, as for batteries, I used to prefer DS3 over the X360 controller because of its rechargable battery, but with how pathetic the DS4 battery life is, I certainly prefer the removable batteries in the Xbone controller.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Not a great fan of the Sony controller. I'm a big fan of racing games and the triggers on the DS4 are awful throttle/brake. Meanwhile the Xbox controller gets rumble triggers which are great for racing games.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
The springs in the triggers of the DS4 are pathetically thin. They are like hair thin. I've had to replace them 5 times.

Anyone know if thicker springs are available?

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
Both are pretty much equally great in my opinion, so I prefer neither.
The only thing I'd say is worse on the DS is the battery life.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the Xbox controller with it's offset sticks, replaceable batteries and more robust triggers. That said, I'm disappointed in the build quality of my Elite, I don't even use it anymore

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
By far Dualshock 4, despite it's issues with durability.

The Xbox controller is just too damn chunky and sharp in all the wrong places and has horrible bumpers and triggers (arguably the most important buttons). Even the face buttons are far better on the DS4. It's honestly frustrating to use.

The only advantage the Xbox controller has is the sticks, although I'm not really a fan of their assymetrical placement.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Ds4 is way better for me. I play fighting games and other melee action games. Plus the dual stick placement fits my hands better.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Also I don't understand how people can defend asymmetrical sticks any more. The argument that your right thumb should rest on the face buttons is no longer valid.

Most games nowadays are played in a fully 3 dimensional space and require both thumbs to be on the sticks most of the time.

Sep 12, 2018
I prefer the DS4 for d-pad heavy games (like side scrolling platforms and fighters) but for analog control the Xbox One controller can't be beat.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
While I can adapt to either, symmetrical sticks offer a much more comfortable resting position for me, which means less soreness. They're preferable for long rpg/open world sessions, especially. That's a huge feather in the DS4's cap.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am ok with all of them this gen. I have not said that in a long, long time. Probably not since the 8 bit days.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I bought the first ever dual shock and at that time it was awesome experience, but once you got used to Xbox thumbstick layout can't go back...

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox One all the way. Not a fan of the DS4, which is why I'm reluctant to go back and start some of my PS4 backlog.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
The DS4 is pretty good. It is also the first Sony controller to reach that bar.
The Xbox One Controller is great.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the DS because I really don't like triggers in the Xbox controllers.

The form factor is pretty good on both, although i've been used to the Dual Shock format for so many years that other controllers feel weird.

And i'm sure the Joycon was added to the poll as a joke or something, but it's one of the worst controllers i've used (heard the Pro is pretty good, but I don't play my Switch undocked anyway).

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
PS4 has been my primary platform this gen, but I much prefer the Xbox controller. Both are a million times better than the Joy-Con. The DS4 has been a piece of shit, honestly. Terrible battery life and I've had three of them break (L2/R2 triggers every time) even though I take good care of my stuff.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hated every DS and preferred the Xbox pads, but since 2013 I love the DS4 and even hate the Xbox One pad.
DS4 is, in my opinion, the best gamepad ever. A DS5 without lightbar and way bigger battery would be perfect.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I find it weird that everyone is saying that DS4's are more durable. I've had to replace two DS4's because the rubber on the thumbsticks completely wore off within the first year of that system launching. I feel like they switched the material for the thumbsticks to something more durable in the non-launch DS4's, but I have not had anything go wrong with an XB1 controller so far...knock on wood.

I find the XB1 controllers to be all around more ergonomic, with better battery life, but I don't dislike the DS4 either. They're both lightyears beyond what we were dealing with a couple generations ago from both manufacturers.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
DSs have always felt clunky/less ergonomic in my hands. They get better and better but I'd love to see Sony do a more streamlined one for PS5.

The current Xbox controller is almost perfect. The only three things I would change are:

- the battery life feels way too short.
- the dpad isn't great.
- I'd like a 6-button variant for fighting games.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
The DS4 has superior resistance in the sticks since it's more linear, but the sticks themselves are garbage.

Everything else the Xbox controller does better for me, even though the D-pad isn't the greatest.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There's aspects of both I like for different reasons, so I often alternate when I play (PC gamer, so I use both).
I'd love to see something like the Scuf Vantage be more common, though.

ps4-scuf-custom-vantage-silver-metallic.jpg

Except for less than a billion dollars. And with below touchpad placement for options & share.