• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which controller?

• Xbox One

Votes: 1,006 42.2%
  • DualShock 4

Votes: 1,343 56.3%
  • Joy Con

Votes: 35 1.5%

• Total voters

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I like the DS4 a lot better, was never a fan of the Xbox one controller, I actually prefer the 360 controller to it. I mainly dislike the loose sticks and the shoulder buttons. The controller itself is very compact, and feels small in my hands.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the DS4 as an all-rounder. The face buttons and d-pad especially feel better. That said, I think the build quality on the XB1 pad is superior, and it's the easiest pad to get running on Windows (unsurprisingly). Not even mentioning how much I wish Sony would create their own "Elite."

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Me. I prefer the symmetry of having both sticks aligned and I always liked the dpad and button placements and it doesn't feel way too chunky or big compared to xb

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I prefer the Xbox One controller, and specially the Elite's one by a fair margin. The Dualshock 4 feels like it's gonna break at any time while playing Spiderman. I don't like how the sticks and buttons feel, too.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to think the xbox controller was better. But I think the dualshock has better shoulder buttons, face buttons and dpad. The shape is nicer for the xbox pad and I like the triggers a bit better. But overall the dualshock 4 is a better, more versatile controller.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The DualShock 4 is the worst D-Pad between the two when it comes to fighting games. It's nearly impossible to play anything that requires tight execution windows like KOF or even UNIST with the thing. Considering I bought a PS4 solely for, well, fighting games, I'm incredibly disappointed that they've regressed in the design for it.

Sounds like a "you" problem.

ngtdjpckqtyg5bptslpl.jpg

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The DS4 is my standard controller for work, iOS, PC and PS4 for sure. I did like the 360 controller a lot despite having asymmetrical sticks so I was disappointed with how the Xbox One controller turned out. It's too bulky for my taste and all shoulder buttons felt inferior to the 360 version. I never had a problem with any controller out there tbh since you get used to them rather quickly.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do, but I'm also not one of those people who complains about controllers in general. For the most part, they all feel and control just fine.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
The sticks are better on the Xbox one controller but on everything else the DS4 is far far superior. It just fits in my hand so much more comfortably. Not even close. This is from someone who hated the DS3 and thought the 360 controller rocked.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I don't mind either, but I can comfortably use the Xbox controller for hours on end, whereas after using the PS4 controller for a while my hands start to hurt, and I constantly have to remove and reposition my left thumb on the left analogue stick. Given a choice, I'd go with the Xbox controller (but I wish it had a speaker/touchpad/motion controls/a dedicated "share" button).

DS4 is definitely my favorite of the bunch. I have symmetrical hands. :P

But you don't - one hand is always more dominant than the other. Never understood this line of reasoning - as a right handed person, I appreciate that the left analogue stick is closer to the edge on the Xbox controller.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The DS4 is better than previous, but I still find that it's the 'worst' of the big three by some distance (since I use a Pro Controller for the Switch where possible).

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
DS4 is definitely my favorite of the bunch. I have symmetrical hands. :P

I used to see people troll on another forum with comments like this a lot. I have no issue with anyone who prefers the DS4 but it is not like people who would rather use the XB1 controller have asymmetrical hands.

I tend to play with my right thumb resting on the face buttons. That actually makes the XB1 controller more symmetrical for my play style. If you go back to the NES, and all of the consoles that came afterwards you will see that the majority of their controllers had the primary input (a D-pad or analog stick) on the left and the face buttons on the same plane on the right side. Even the original PlayStation controller was designed this way.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What digs in your hands exactly?

6s8gdU3.jpg

These parts, I just cannot hold the controller in my hands fully or comfortably without these digging into my palms

No such issue with the Dualshock 4.

I'll admit the Xbox controller has better thumstick grips and a higher quality build overall but I prefer Dualshock for playing games.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I love the ds4. I don't like the asymmetrical sticks on the pro or xbox controllers. I put a lot of time in shooters and jrpgs, so I like to be comfortable

closer

Oct 25, 2017
ds4 dpad can be rough for fighting games since there are sensitivities tied to the buttons. you can hold the left button down but if your thumb pushes it angled downwards you will get down/left rather than just left. There are modded/custom controllers out there with mechanical switches, I believe sonicfox uses one. I use ds4 for fighting games but I also use analog stick (which is pretty egregious to a lot of ppl).

I've never used an xbox one controller, but I think I prefer the 360 controller over all the ones I've used.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I like anything PS related over Xbox. I have never own a Microsoft console and will continue to do so.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
I love the feel of a new DS4, but the build quality isn't great. Sticks get progressively looser as you use them, and some iterations have problems with the rubber on the thumbsticks. I also hate that you can't turn off the light completely when it's not being used.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
My fingers always slip off my DS4 controllers.
In the heat of the battle I sometimes need to use my right thumb to hold the left stick forward while I reset my left thumb to the center of the stick.
So XBox controllers by far.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the DS4 but the analog stick placement and garbage triggers always annoy me. On top of the terrible battery life. The Xbone is a much better controller.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Nope, but I prefer the PS4 so I'm stuck with a stupid controller design built not for ergonomics but to satisfy some insane need to honor the terrible design choices of the original.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer DS4 but by a small margin. Better dpad, better stick resistance, and quieter, more pleasantly shaped buttons. The triggers are arguably worse than Xone pad but the "bumpers" are clearly better.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the xbox controller but not enough to fight about it. The bumpers and triggers are just more comfortable

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always been an 'all-console' owner so no bias.

But I freakin hate the DualShock. Am I the only one?

DS4 sucks - yes. It is better than DS3 but it is still a shitty controller compared to Xbox One Controllers

the xb elite controller is just so amazing to use - best controller ever made

Joycons - lol

electrolite77

Dec 30, 2017
I prefer the XBO Pad but there isn't much in it. Or between that, DS4 and the Switch Pro Controller. All great pads.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're both fine; I prefer the Xbone controller slightly, but I've never been discontent with the DS4 when playing PS4 games.

The DS3 and below were awful, though.

(SNES gamepad remains the GOAT for games that don't require analog triggers/sticks.)

Oct 27, 2017
DS4 for me. Xbox Controllers are better for certain genres like FPS and Racing games, but most of the other genres I prefer to play on the DS4.
I don't care about the left stick-placement since it doesn't even require that much precision, but the D-Pad position and quality sucks on Xbox Controllers and make FG unplayabe for me on Xbox. DS4 is also easier to claw, the DS4 buttons feel better to "mash" and I prefer the "lighter" feel of the triggers+shoulder buttons.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
The Xbox One pad is a far superior general purpose controller in my book, it just "feels" right for most games and the sticks are much better. It's almost completely useless for fighting games though, which is where I usually break out the DS4.

(I'm talking about using both on PC, of course. I don't actually own an Xbox, I just love Microsoft peripherals.)

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox One X controller isn't that natural for me to use, I have trouble with the default Gears control scheme.

But the build quality is great, DS4 is absolute garbage compared and I go through one every four months. Call of Duty (clicking the stick to run) wears it down, it constantly fails.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vastly prefer the DS4.

I can play with the other controllers without a problem but i "want" to use the DS4.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Asymmetrical stick placement is a dumb idea that never made sense to me. I'm glad it never caught on.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
I prefer the Xbox One controller overall, but the d-pad is really bad. Platformers or fighting games are basically unplayable without the Dualshock 4 for me. So I tend to switch back and forth depending on the game.

If I had to pick only one, I'd pick the DS4 because of the d-pad. Even though I like the feel of the Xbone controller more.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
I like the DS4 better than the default X1 controller, but I like the Elite over the DS4 (though it has too many issues for what it costs).

I like the Xbox 360 controller better than both though

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Overall: yes. using my Elite for games that can make use of the paddles is better, but I'm about to mod a DS4 for this anyway, so...