• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
This fascinates me. I almost can't think of another series that has a nearly universally despised game like this. With any other series, you have at least a decent, if small, sect of fans sticking up for the underdogs.

I am not entirely sure I have ever heard someone say--perhaps least of all DmC fans--that DmC2 is a good game. I've heard that it's good for 'shits and giggles', I've heard that it's worth maybe playing once because it's so easy, but I don't know that I've heard from someone who truly likes it.

Point is, I'm interested in finally getting into this series. I have played it, but not too extensively. Is is really that bad? Is the story entertaining in any way? If one were to start from the beginning, which I probably will, would you advise completely skipping it?

(I tend to be a purist, or maybe for a less-polite term an obsessive-compulsive who finds it extremely bothersome to skip parts of series.)

P.S. Switch ports all good for these games?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I distinctly remember a poster here liking dmc2. I think they had a yoshi avatar

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
My block list is empty.

Anybody who defends, then again likes, DMC2 is going on it.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I'll freely admit that DMC2 offered a lot of great features and quality-of-life updates to the DMC gameplay. Adding melee/gun swaps, a better control-scheme, bloody palace, and mission select were fantastic additions, and the other games in the series ran with those foundations. On a structural level, DMC2 is a more accessible game that its predecessor, which hasn't aged well.

Other than that, DMC2 was a failure and a bad sequel. It is objectively the worst game in the series. Capcom devs don't even like it.

Awcko

Oct 25, 2017
Not a soul. Unless you're super morbidly curious and/or broken on the inside there's no reason to touch 2, and since you asked it barely has a story to speak of. There's not a single redeeming quality, just skip from 1 to 3 if you want to start from the beginning.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Skip it unless your favorite part of action games is monotony and boredom with a sprinkle of button mashing. Trying it may kill your spirit to get to 3, which is maybe the best action game ever made.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said ... DMC2 introduced some welcome QoL features, like weapon swapping and mission select.

Everything else? Run, OP. RUN AWAY

Edit: if you would like an official Capcom opinion on the matter, watch DMC5's "series recap" video. It's legitimately hilarious

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasnt there a person here that had 500 hours on DMC 2? Thats some perversion right there.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
There is a legit chance that no one does.

I do and I'm not afraid to admit it.
72EC99BBB168B7B755D627F80E04E18CEA68163F

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. The only value I get out of it is as a cautionary tale for when someone inevitably suggests Capcom should jump dump all of Dante's gunslinger moves onto Shoot.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I like it, a lot, that's because it was the first DMC that i truly aced , with S ranks , all difficulties etc. I understand it was not as difficult as the other entries in the series and I remember cheesing several bosses , but i had tons on fun with it and the style of the series *clicked* with me because of this game.

To this day i don't understand the hate.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
This fascinates me. I almost can't think of another series that has a nearly universally despised game like this. With any other series, you have at least a decent, if small, sect of fans sticking up for the underdogs.

I think Megaman X7 is universally hated by most of Mega Man's fanbase. X6 is actually pretty split, I like it.

X7 did give us this though, so it gets a few points

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It was fine. The original was far superior but it's not Superman 64 levels of putrid shit like so many make it out to be lol.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Likers: 3 (alleged fourth roaming around)
Dislikers: 28~

Holy SHIT

I didn't even realize it was THIS bad. These are apparently fighting words.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Most games, y'know, the pendulum swings and maybe they become cult classics. I kinda wondered if that had happened or was starting to happen with this one. Like 'we did that game dirty'... guess not lmao

Oct 27, 2017
It's really, really bad. If you're going to cape for a maligned Capcom PS2 Action title, choose the superior option:

51WKTD1XAYL._SY445_.jpg

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I think Megaman X7 is universally hated by most of Mega Man's fanbase. X6 is actually pretty split, I like it.

X7 did give us this though, so it gets a few points

Oh yeah, I heard about one of those being bad. As someone who's only played the originals and a bit of X it's hard to imagine Megaman being that bad...
Why do I have a terrible feeling in my heart that that would have more supporters somehow

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I liked it mainly because of Dante's fantastic design and emphasis on his hair physics. Then again I'm someone that played Sonic 2006 to completion 5 times as a young teen.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you by chance the Yoshi avatar mentioned previously in this thread?
Haha, I had to scan but nah, not me. I like the franchise, but haven't played DMC2 since release, and didn't care for it much then. Huge letdown at the time, but redeemed in a big way with 3.

I've had this avatar awhile, it's from that last WarioWare 3ds game. I think we have a yoshi-chan or similar named regular user around, though I'm not sure of their opinions on the matter.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I do not like DMC2, but it did do some good things that I do like. I enjoyed Bloody Palace, it introduced a lot of moves that really ended up being staples for Dante, the desperation DT was cool as hell, it gave us Rebellion! Playable Trish! It had some really good ideas. Just none of it was executed very well.

Plus Dantes outfit rocked.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I remember liking Dante's design. That's about all I remember.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Literally the most disappointed I've ever been in a game.

The only good thing about it is the pre-order t-shirt I still have.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Despite what people love to harp, DMC2 is actually not the worst game in the world. It's just a very average, forgettable follow-up to the genre-defining game that was DMC1.