• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Streets of Rage 4 has not only the best soundtrack of the year, but one of the greatest video game soundtracks I've ever witnessed. In my opinion this will go down with the likes of JSFR, Ace Attorney, and well...SoR2. At first I wasn't so sure, but at this point I have no issue whatsoever saying this soundtrack is better than the aready outstanding SoR2.

Out of the gate it's fantastic and above average, but just like the game itself, it truly gets better the more you experience it. It's an OST that's meant to be experienced in-game and is built for that, but is also so fucking good you can just bump it in your car.

The entire soundtrack is truly godlike. I mean that. There's not a single stinker in the bunch. And they all have such weight and layers that will make itself known in repeat listens. Here are just few highlights, even though the entire soundtrack is a highlight.

This is my GOTY period, but I know that's a much more complicated discussion so let's just keep it at the soundtrack. I just don't see anything beating it this year. Really, I'm not sure if I see anything beating it within the last 5 years. The only thing I can think that comes close is Splatoon 2. There is so, so much purpose, passion, originality, and raw talent behind this shit.

Last edited:

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I haven't played the game, but listened to it on youtube, and Ghost of Tsushima is a serious contender.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I love SoR4, and thought it had an excellent soundtrack. But it's gonna be pretty hard to top FFVII Remake. It had an unbelievable volume of amazing songs, especially when consider those jukebox remixes you could buy.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I do not

An element of the OST for SoR4 is lost when listening to it on YouTube. The way songs transitions align with new enemy types appearing or transitions from one area to the next is sublime.

It doesn't just sound incredible, but it is also used incredibly well.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I think most people agree on FF7R having the best OST of the year so far tbh. I also preferred Nioh 2 and Jets'n'Guns 2's OSTs to Streets of Rage.

Honestly, while I liked SoR4's OST, I feel it'd have been better if Koshiro led it.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, I do.

Edit: Reading your impassioned OP proper got me to listen to the tracks you posted, a few of which I hadn't heard yet. It's damn good. Not really into brawlers myself, but the music puts it on my radar. Your thread title kind of encourages people to just post a soundtrack they liked more without really engaging with your (really great) OP properly, and I'll admit to being guilty of that initially. And I'll agree with your Splatoon 2 pick for how it achieves a symbiosis with the gameplay rhythm.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reminder that I still need to play SoR4. Since we're pointing out good soundtracks from this year, Necrobarista's soundtrack is pretty awesome.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
There's a new Yakuza game this year, FF7R exists, P5R could count, Trials of Mana exists, Origami King is one of Nintendo's best soundtracks maybe ever? So I mean it's good but I don't think it'll be best of the year. 13 Sentinels is this year so like, yeah it's absolutely not the best soundtrack of the year because that probably is.

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to disagree.

The soundtracks was really suprising to me. I thought Koshiro not making the soundtrack was a recipe to disaster. Then I got the game and I felt the opposite. Infact Koshiro's wasn't the best ones, Olivier's were.

Can't wait for SOR5 to come out so we get even more amazing music.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think SoR4's bigger triumph is how well it its excellent soundtrack is woven into the game. The music is intimately timed to each level, building in intensity as you go through. It elevates what is already a great experience and I can't imagine the game without it.

So far it and Final Fantasy VII: Remake are my standouts. I'd give the latter the edge personally, just due to how much I like the songs, but SoR4 is still way up there--and deserves some recognition for how good it is.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not just trying to be contrarian, but the streets of rage 4 soundtrack is pretty bad. There are a few good songs from the guest composers, but all of the Olivier tunes fall completely flat for me. They're almost modern parodies of 90s dance music, with an awful dubstep twist. Especially when you put it up next to the soundtracks of SoR 1-3, it looks even worse.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
One thing I really like about SoR4's soundtrack is how the music builds in a really dynamic way as you are going through a stage. Something cool will happen or a tough enemy will appear and the music always seems to be right there to back those moments up in the perfect way.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I really like about SoR4's soundtrack is how the music builds in a really dynamic way as you are going through a stage. Something cool will happen or a tough enemy will appear and the music always seems to be right there to back those moments up in the perfect way.

Exactly. Going off my previous post: The uploads from Deriviere don't have all the parts of the songs you hear in the actual game

just listen to how the art gallery stage's song progresses throughout

you can hear the click of grenade pins being pulled when the grenadier women appear

Oct 27, 2017
I do not

An element of the OST for SoR4 is lost when listening to it on YouTube. The way songs transitions align with new enemy types appearing or transitions from one area to the next is sublime.

It doesn't just sound incredible, but it is also used incredibly well.
I think SoR4's bigger triumph is how well it its excellent soundtrack is woven into the game. The music is intimately timed to each level, building in intensity as you go through. It elevates what is already a great experience and I can't imagine the game without it.

So far it and Final Fantasy VII: Remake are my standouts. I'd give the latter the edge personally, just due to how much I like the songs, but SoR4 is still way up there--and deserves some recognition for how good it is.
Agreed.

The Y tower level in particular is a great example. That lead up to the elrvator and while on it is such perfection.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
while I loved the FF7 remake's OST I still can't count it here since it was basically a ton of (fucking amazing) remixed while Streets of Rage 4 had some new stuff

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Fantastic soundtrack indeed but personally I think that the FFVIIR OST is the best released so far. Very curious to hear the 'Moose Life' soundtrack as well.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'd have to give it more of a listen both inside and outside of the game, but I'm not really a big fan of it. There are some great tracks sprinkled throughout, but overall there isn't really much that stands out.
Kawashima's stuff is probably the highlight for me.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
FF14 exist in every year with ost updates; also if any falcom game came out this year then my pick is that or ff14 by default :P

SoR4 ost kicks massive ass though.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
SOR4, Ori Wisps and Doom Eternal are my top 3 of the year so far. All for very different reasons so they are of equal ranking.

Only issue with the SoR4 soundtrack is the tracks clearly haven't been professionally mastered, so the audio quality is lacking. But the music itself is top tier.

Edit: and yes I've played FFVIIR which obviously has a fantastic soundtrack. But these three are on another level for my tastes.

Last edited:

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Since I haven't bought many games this year my frame of reference is kind of limited, though I've been listening to Granblue Fantasy Versus and it has some pretty cool arrangements of the songs from the mobile game and the character's vocal songs.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Having both Paper Mario: The Origami King and Doom Eternal this year, it's honestly hard to tell which one is the best.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know there are many remixes in there, but the sheer volume and quality of songs in FFVIIR is absolutely ridiculous. They could have easily gotten away with half as many and it would still be a legendary score

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know there are many remixes in there, but the sheer volume and quality of songs in FFVIIR is absolutely ridiculous. They could have easily gotten away with half as many and it would still be a legendary score
Remixes don't count against it imo. If it's the ost you liked the most and those arrangements came from this year it's fair game.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remixes don't count against it imo. If it's the ost you liked the most and those arrangements came from this year it's fair game.

I don't count it against it, just that I do think they help with the quantity. It was more a comment on how they could have simply rested on their laurels with just (amazing) remixes, but added an entire game's worth of completely new material, too

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Both FF7R and P5R feel like cheating.
Tsushima is strong tho.
TLOU2 has some great ones.
Yakuza 7 is coming too.