• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing tons of ads for this, and it's honestly looking more and more compelling whenever I see it.

Most recently I saw one where Penn & Teller are teaching magic, and I turned in the audio for once because Teller was actually talking. But some of the other ones, like cooking with Gordon Ramsay or Thomas Kincaid, sound amazing, too.

Does anyone here have a subscription? How is it?

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
My understanding is that it's just lipstick on a pig.. all classes are curated in presented professionally.

I rather just go with udemy and highly rated classes ino

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also very interested in this for Gordon. But he has so many videos on YouTube now lol

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Gordon Ramsay classes were pretty great but it's the only one i did

Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking about it recently, especially during the Q. I actually want take Martin Scorsese's class but I need a review first.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Mostly top level celebrities with little to no history in teaching the craft. it's pretty much a rip off. Your better off finding legitimate teachers in that field than listening to celebrities give anecdotes

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Everything I've seen I've liked so far, wide variety of subjects means some might not interest you

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Mostly top level celebrities with little to no history in teaching the craft. it's pretty much a rip off. Your better off finding legitimate teachers in that field than listening to celebrities give anecdotes
Chefs are a bit different since a lot their work is actual teaching--training staffs.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I had to laugh at this premise as well. I saw an ad with Neil Gaiman saying he's going to teach me all he knows about writing-but that doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to become a good writer. As someone above earlier said these are prominent people in their field but not necessarily good teachers.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I like the ad for the Aaron Sorkin one -- remember that no one ever started a sentence with "Damn it!"

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There are filmmakers who do teach on the side so if they're the ones being chosen for these classes, might be legit. Otherwise it's just a rich company moneyhatting celebs to talk for a few hours in hopes that gullible joe schmoes will pay for it.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did the RON HOWARD TEACHES DIRECTING one and it was really good. Really in depth and gave me some insights I had not seen
somewhere else before.
But I think its because Ron Howard is less "stylizes" and artsy fartsy as some of the other "teachers".
Its fun to hear great people talk about their craft but no one should expect to come away with more then inspiration (in creative areas at least).

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much do these cost anyway? I have to imagine they're pretty expensive.

Like, I'm literally taking a great Harvard course on computer science online for free (okay, less than $100 if you want to buy the certificate once you've completed everything) right now.

Why would anyone bother with things like MasterClass? Just because it's a celebrity doing it doesn't mean you can expect the same kind of success as them, or for them to be better teachers than any half-decent professional uni teacher.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
The only ones I'd be interested are the cooking classes, since they'd be the most likely to teach you actual results. Outside of that it mostly feels like it'd be a documentary-style, "behind the scenes" series that lets you see how each person thinks; entertaining watches probably, but not really helpful for you're own development in the long run.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How much do these cost anyway? I have to imagine they're pretty expensive.

Like, I'm literally taking a great Harvard course on computer science online for free (okay, less than $100 if you want to buy the certificate once you've completed everything) right now.

Why would anyone bother with things like MasterClass? Just because it's a celebrity doing it doesn't mean you can expect the same kind of success as them, or for them to be better teachers than any half-decent professional uni teacher.
it's 180 for the year, comes with 2 subscriptions (at least right now?). My gf asked for it for her bday, so by default I have a sub too, havent actually watched anything yet but she really enjoys it.

I'll report back once I actually watch some stuff lol

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to check out the Penn and Teller ones just to satisfy some curiosity and to appreciate their craft and ability in slight of hand, but watching it for that purpose is just too rich for my blood.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
The ads gave me my all time favorite Werner Herzog quote:

"I do not use a storyboard. It is the instrument of a coward."

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
My brother loves the Aaron Sorkin one. Said it helped a lot.

Annie Leibovitz was good for me for a refresher since I was out of it a lot.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Honestly the amount of film makers in it, I don't even care if it actually teaches me a lot. I'm sure it would have a lot I'll find interesting to hear from these people. I'm considering trying it.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
it's 180 for the year, comes with 2 subscriptions (at least right now?). My gf asked for it for her bday, so by default I have a sub too, havent actually watched anything yet but she really enjoys it.

I'll report back once I actually watch some stuff lol

Do you know if you can you stagger it to use it for two years for one person? Or does it start right away for both?